Bloodline by James Rollins

by James Rollins

Recently added byDanKoboldt, private library, simetraman01, PdRLibrary, thomask7818, avellana, haritsa, Prof_Mitch

Started July 21st, 2013.
Bloody start. Gripping. Very interesting scenes with a trained dog from the dog's perspective.
As I have not read all books in the Sigma-series, rather only few, I cannot say for sure, that all mysteries are solved, but we get to know a lot.
Nefarious plans are revealed.
Entirely satisfying, fast paced, very good descriptions of different scenes (underwater, in caves etc), fights and places.
While the end is too good for my taste - at least one of the main characters should have died, to prove they are not immortal (no pun intended),
the solutions and the back-story of the Guild are very well written.
Warning: one theme may disturb some readers, this book is not for the squeamish! The horrors described are very real.
Page-turner - highly recommended, as far as I remember from the ones I read from Rollins it is the best one. ( )
  Ingo.Lembcke | Oct 27, 2015 |
"Bloodlines" is #8 in the Sigma series. I found it the best of the series to date. This book has a return of the dog "Kane." Wonderful to see him and his handler as part of the team. Continuous action till the end and it has a great ending. ( )
  delta61 | Jul 4, 2015 |
It was very good, lots of interesting characters and the like, but it felt like everything was just touched on, and not felt. The core idea of the book was fascinating, Kat and Lisa were two great characters - and Tucker and his dog were wonderful - but my emotions were not engaged much at all. But if you like thrillers, it's good. I just wanted to feel more. ( )
  KVHardy | Jan 2, 2015 |
Another outstanding book by Rollins, among his best. His Sigma Force characters are really solid now, very interesting to follow, but throw in a quick-moving, tense plot, and this book just really flows well. Once again, I think Rollins is this generation's Michael Crichton. Rollins has a way of introducing concepts in the world of science and technology that just pull the reader in. ( )
  utbw42 | Dec 10, 2014 |
I totally didn't see the ending coming, the final twist. I should have, but for some reason I didn't and so I think that's why this SIGMA Force novel is the best up until now, of all of them.

This time we start with a female Templar Knight and Jesus' staff. Then the modern story starts with a short half page description of Grey getting ready to kill the President. Yikes, I know. That was something else I liked about this book. It just put stuff out there in a wow way. It's also the first one in the series that I couldn't put down, it was an honest to goodness page turner. Most of the other SIGMA books were interesting and there was action, but the action didn't jump off the page. In Bloodline it did.

Then there was Kane, the War Dog. Very awesome. And I say that even though when I saw the first italicized passage I sort of groaned and thought. 'Oh great, he's trying to get into the dog's head, this isn't gonna be pretty'. But, all the stuff from Kane's point of view, it was amazing. Rollins managed the fine line between letting Kane have emotions, but not anthropomorphizing him. He had dog emotions, not people emotions.

A great book, though not one that I would recommend reading out of order in the series. There were so many different and tangled story lines that got wrapped up in this novel. And as an aside, I wonder where Rollins will go with the SIGMA series next. ( )
  DanieXJ | Oct 29, 2014 |
We are opposed around the world bay a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy that relies primarily on covert means for expanding its sphere of influence ... building a tightly knit, highly efficient machine that combines military, diplomatic, intelligence, economic, scientific and political operations.

~John F Kennedy,
      from a speech given at the Walford-Astroia Hotel on April 27, 1961
Surely God would not have created such a being as man, with an ability to grasp the infinite, to exist only for a day! No, no, man was made for immortality.
    ~Abraham Lincoln
Three brothers and three sisters
Cheryl, Doug, Laurie, Chuck, Billy and Carrie,
After being in the trenches this past year, it seemed fitting for us to be together here too.

Love you all.
Summer 1134
Holy Lands

They once called her a witch and a whore.
June 30, 11:44 AM EST
Takoma park, Maryland

Gray Pierce pulled into the driveway with a coughing grow of the 1960 Thunderbird's V-8 engine.

Galilee, 1025: A Templar knight uncovers a holy treasure in an ancient citadel - a priceless icon that holds a mysterious and terrifying power.

A millennium later, Commander Gray Pierce of Sigma Force is dispatched to the African jungle, teaming up with former Army Ranger Capt Tucker Wayne and his military war dog, Kane, on a covert mission to rescue the US President pregnant daughter form Somali pirates. But Pierce fears the kidnapping masks a far more terrible terrorist agenda - a suspicion proven turn in a fiery ambush and a deadly act of betrayal. ... and by the firebombing of a South Carolina fertility clinic half a world away.

Suddenly Gray Pierce and Sigma Force are in a frantic race to save an innocent unborn baby whose very existence raises questions about the nature of humanity. And behind it all is a deadly cabal. that has been manipulating events from the shadows throughout history .... and a devastating conspiracy rooted in human genetic code that Pierce must expose before it alters humanity forever.

In his first-ever collaboration, New York Times bestselling author James Rollins combines his skill for cutting-edge science and historical mystery with award-winning novelist Rebecca Cantrell’s talent for haunting suspense and sensual atmosphere in a gothic tale about an ancient order and the hunt for a miraculous book known only as...
An earthquake in Masada, Israel, kills hundreds and reveals a tomb buried in the heart of the mountain. A trio of investigators—Sergeant Jordan Stone, a military forensic expert; Father Rhun Korza, a Vatican priest; and Dr. Erin Granger, a brilliant but disillusioned archaeologist—are sent to explore the macabre discovery, a subterranean temple holding the crucified body of a mummified girl.

But a brutal attack at the site sets the three on the run, thrusting them into a race to recover what was once preserved in the tomb’s sarcophagus: a book rumored to have been written by Christ’s own hand, a tome that is said to hold the secrets to His divinity. But the enemy who hounds them is like not other, a force of ancient evil directed by a leader of impossible ambitions and incalculable cunning.

From crumbling tombs to splendorous churches, Erin and her two companions must confront a past that traces back thousands of years, to a time when ungodly beasts hunted the dark spaces of the world, to a moment in history when Christ made a miraculous offer, a pact of salvation for those who were damned for eternity.

Here is a novel that is explosive in its revelation of a secret history. Why do Catholic priests wear pectoral crosses? Why are they sworn to celibacy? Why do the monks hide their countenances under hoods? And why does Catholicism insist that the consecration of wine during Mass results in its transformation to Christ’s own blood? The answers to all go back to a secret sect within the Vatican, one whispered as rumor but whose very existence was painted for all to see by Rembrandt himself, a shadowy order known simply as the Sanguines.

In the end, be warned: some books should never be found, never opened—until now.

A yacht bearing a young American couple is attacked by Somali pirates, leading to bloodshed and the violent kidnapping of the pregnant woman on board. To aid in her rescue from the lawless and war-torn jungles of coastal Africa, Sigma Force enlists the aid of a unique search team.… (more)

James Rollins is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,874,342 books! | Top bar: Always visible