Bloodline: A Sigma Force Novel by James…

Bloodline: A Sigma Force Novel (edition 2012)

by James Rollins

Member:rshlib
Title:Bloodline: A Sigma Force Novel
Authors:James Rollins
Info:William Morrow (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 464 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:adventure, thriller, fiction, audio, own

Bloodline by James Rollins

Another wild ride with the Sigma team. Loved the character moments, especially at the end.

kevbayer | Jun 20, 2014 |
Bloodline is my first James Rollins novel, but I don't think it will be the last. This fast paced thriller features the Sigma Force, an elite military-type unit which one can always count on when it is Mission Impossible time. In this case, the president's pregnant daughter is kidnapped from a yacht by no less than Somali pirates. They may or may not know just who their hostage is, but a team from Sigma Force is hurriedly assembled and shipped out to Africa to begin a search and rescue mission.

Additions to the team give Commander Gray Pierce an extra edge in this harrowing rescue mission. Captain Tucker Wayne and his trained war dog Kane are able to track and to communicate in situations that only a trained dog like Kane could pull off, utilizing his extraordinary sense of smell and his ability to get beyond the enemy lines. To me, the relationship between the trainer and his extraordinary dog may be the sweetest part of the story.

It doesn't take long to figure out that the captors know exactly who their captive is, and that what they really want is not the president's daughter, but her unborn child. The baby apparently has a unique DNA strand that just may hold the key to immortality...and how did they know? Amanda and her husband chose artificial insemination at a prestigious clinic with no idea that it was the face of a research center that apparently experiments on vulnerable clients in an attempt to create a human being that is also immortal. Could that clinic be yet another arm of the Guild, a powerful but shadowy enemy which the Sigma Force has encountered in the past?

Researchers in secret labs run by folks who see their mission as greater than any archaic limits set by a sense of morality, create a horrifying yet believable scenario that includes melding human cells into robot circuitry. Among other things, they are experimenting with weaponry using human brain cells, allowing insect or crab-like robots to communicate between themselves and learn from their environment in the midst of battles.

The bad guys stay one step ahead of the Sigma Force, as the action moves from the mountains of Somalia to the magnificent architecture and reclaimed islands of Dubai to Washington DC to the Blue Ridge Mountains of South Carolina. There are plenty of action scenes replete with guns, knives, and occasional hand to hand combat. Even a couple of catastrophic explosions keep the momentum going as the plot twists and turns toward a satisfying conclusion.

Rollins is great at weaving in history, science and technology to create an action/adventure story that keeps the reader turning pages to see what is in store for both the likable and multifaceted protagonists and the evil villains they work to overcome. ( )
  vcg610 | May 5, 2014 |
Rollins' stories get more and more exciting! The addition of Tucker and Kane to this one certainly fleshes out the Sigma Force. Good reading! ( )
  GTTexas | Feb 9, 2014 |
To be quantitative or be qualitative that is the question.

This seems to be the issue these days with SIGMA novels. I am glad we have the novella to have Tucker and Kane's character development and background. But it should have been an extension, a fan extra and not depend as a writer for the fans to read.

Don't get me wrong, as usual its a great book but I'm wondering if James should not give SIGMA's team a rest for a bit. We, your fans love your microscopic attention to detail but there is WAY too much! The tech swallows up all of it..the characters we love fighting the new tech, Grant ..Kat..Lisa..Senchian are crammed amidst the plethera of bio, fringe, future, old, new, conspiratorial ... heck even Painter is barely "sketched" here where we used to at least feel the presense of those characters we love. Again there is just TOO much this time.

Even so for a fan its a great wrap up ...or is it. Read Tracked for Tucker and Kane's back story. I loved it but was just let down and feel a bit bloated. Am looking toward to his new collabritve story with Rebecca Cantrell which takes us back to the desert with a brush and a trowel .. Sneak Peak in City of Screams!! ( )
  AKMamma | Nov 25, 2013 |
I like over-the-top action. Really, I do. That's one of the reasons that I read the Sigma Force novels. But sometimes, Rollins goes just a little too over-the-top in his over-the-top-ness. In Bloodline, Rollins managed to go even further over-the-top. Parts of the story were fun. But sometimes too much is ... well ... too much. And unfortunately, I was able to spot the super-duper final plot twist ... the very first time we met the character involved. It was just too easy. The other problem, I'd say, with this story, was that the scavenger hunt/puzzle elements that normally make these books so much fun seemed either missing or lacking. But I'm hopeful that the resolution will sort of free up Rollins to do more interesting things in future books. Oh, and I did find Tucker Wayne and Kane to be interesting, though again, I'm not sure that I want them as permanent characters for every story (too much of an occasional good thing, perhaps). ( )
  MSWallack | Jul 17, 2013 |
We are opposed around the world bay a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy that relies primarily on covert means for expanding its sphere of influence ... building a tightly knit, highly efficient machine that combines military, diplomatic, intelligence, economic, scientific and political operations.

~John F Kennedy,
      from a speech given at the Walford-Astroia Hotel on April 27, 1961
Surely God would not have created such a being as man, with an ability to grasp the infinite, to exist only for a day! No, no, man was made for immortality.
    ~Abraham Lincoln
To
Three brothers and three sisters
Cheryl, Doug, Laurie, Chuck, Billy and Carrie,
After being in the trenches this past year, it seemed fitting for us to be together here too.

Love you all.
Summer 1134
Holy Lands

They once called her a witch and a whore.
June 30, 11:44 AM EST
Takoma park, Maryland

Gray Pierce pulled into the driveway with a coughing grow of the 1960 Thunderbird's V-8 engine.

LEE CHILD

Galilee, 1025: A Templar knight uncovers a holy treasure in an ancient citadel - a priceless icon that holds a mysterious and terrifying power.

A millennium later, Commander Gray Pierce of Sigma Force is dispatched to the African jungle, teaming up with former Army Ranger Capt Tucker Wayne and his military war dog, Kane, on a covert mission to rescue the US President pregnant daughter form Somali pirates. But Pierce fears the kidnapping masks a far more terrible terrorist agenda - a suspicion proven turn in a fiery ambush and a deadly act of betrayal. ... and by the firebombing of a South Carolina fertility clinic half a world away.

Suddenly Gray Pierce and Sigma Force are in a frantic race to save an innocent unborn baby whose very existence raises questions about the nature of humanity. And behind it all is a deadly cabal. that has been manipulating events from the shadows throughout history .... and a devastating conspiracy rooted in human genetic code that Pierce must expose before it alters humanity forever.
    ---------------------------------

In his first-ever collaboration, New York Times bestselling author James Rollins combines his skill for cutting-edge science and historical mystery with award-winning novelist Rebecca Cantrell’s talent for haunting suspense and sensual atmosphere in a gothic tale about an ancient order and the hunt for a miraculous book known only as...
    THE BLOOD GOSPEL
An earthquake in Masada, Israel, kills hundreds and reveals a tomb buried in the heart of the mountain. A trio of investigators—Sergeant Jordan Stone, a military forensic expert; Father Rhun Korza, a Vatican priest; and Dr. Erin Granger, a brilliant but disillusioned archaeologist—are sent to explore the macabre discovery, a subterranean temple holding the crucified body of a mummified girl.

But a brutal attack at the site sets the three on the run, thrusting them into a race to recover what was once preserved in the tomb’s sarcophagus: a book rumored to have been written by Christ’s own hand, a tome that is said to hold the secrets to His divinity. But the enemy who hounds them is like not other, a force of ancient evil directed by a leader of impossible ambitions and incalculable cunning.

From crumbling tombs to splendorous churches, Erin and her two companions must confront a past that traces back thousands of years, to a time when ungodly beasts hunted the dark spaces of the world, to a moment in history when Christ made a miraculous offer, a pact of salvation for those who were damned for eternity.

Here is a novel that is explosive in its revelation of a secret history. Why do Catholic priests wear pectoral crosses? Why are they sworn to celibacy? Why do the monks hide their countenances under hoods? And why does Catholicism insist that the consecration of wine during Mass results in its transformation to Christ’s own blood? The answers to all go back to a secret sect within the Vatican, one whispered as rumor but whose very existence was painted for all to see by Rembrandt himself, a shadowy order known simply as the Sanguines.

In the end, be warned: some books should never be found, never opened—until now.

A yacht bearing a young American couple is attacked by Somali pirates, leading to bloodshed and the violent kidnapping of the pregnant woman on board. To aid in her rescue from the lawless and war-torn jungles of coastal Africa, Sigma Force enlists the aid of a unique search team.… (more)

James Rollins is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

315 wanted2 pay2 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,545,107 books! | Top bar: Always visible