These Girls: A Novel by Sarah Pekkanen

These Girls: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Sarah Pekkanen

Cate, Renee, and Abby have come to New York for very different reasons, and in a bustling city of millions, they are linked together through circumstance and chance. Cate has just been named the features editor of Gloss, a high-end lifestyle magazine. It's a professional coup, but her new job comes with more complications than Cate ever anticipated. Cate's roommate Renee will do anything to nab the plum job of beauty editor at Gloss. But snide comments about Renee's weight send her into an emotional tailspin. Soon she is taking black market diet pills - despite the racing heartbeat and trembling hands that signal she's heading for real danger. Then there's Abby, whom they take in as a third roommate. Once a joyful graduate student working as a nanny part time, she abruptly fled a seemingly happy life in the D.C. suburbs. No one knows what shattered Abby - or why she left everything she once loved behind.… (more)
Member:writemeg
Title:These Girls: A Novel
Authors:Sarah Pekkanen
Info:Washington Square Press (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 336 pages
Tags:women's fiction, friendship, secrets, family dynamics

These Girls by Sarah Pekkanen

I read this book from cover-to-cover during my flight to Barcelona. Loved the characters, the writing...altogether it was a great book!!! ( )
  tntbeckyford | Feb 16, 2019 |
Cute story

A really cute story about three modern women and their friendship. It has the usual trappings about men and jobs and good looks but overall a decent read. ( )
  extraflamey | Jan 18, 2016 |
This is one of those books that you pick up because it looks like a quick, entertaining read. And it is. I started it and could hardly put it down. But it's deeper than that - exploring relationships and friendships and family so thoroughly, yet it doesn't resonate with you until you finish the story. I keep writing sentences summarizing what happens with New York City roommates Cate, Renee, and Abby, but none of it is good enough. It's better to jump in to the story and get hooked. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
I reviewed this book for luxuryreading.com and was so excited to get the chance to do so! I just love this author's writing style and try to pick up everything I can from her.

In a place like New York City it's possible to create a new life, be whoever you want to be. The vibrant city allows you to show whatever face you want to the world and keep whatever secrets you have buried as deep down as you wish. This is the case for three roommates - Cate, Renee and Abby. Each is presenting only part of themselves to the world, at least at first. But as these girls begin to let a little of their guard down and trust in the others, they soon discover that their happiness will only be found when they become true to themselves.

As these three women get closer and begin to open up about their families, their lives and what they have really been through, the weight of their secrets begins to lift. Each will have to tackle their problems on their own, but having the others for support will make it that much easier to handle.

Sarah Pekkanen has quickly become one of my favorite authors to follow. Her characters are so real and raw that it's not hard to place yourself in their situations. I could especially relate to Renee who is vivacious, funny and friends with just about everyone. Even as she lifts everyone else up and tells them how beautiful and special they are she just cannot seem to see that same beauty in herself. All the women are funny, dynamic and perfectly flawed so you can find yourself laughing at them one minute and crying along with them the next.

As women's fiction goes she is top caliber, and These Girls does not disappoint. If you love authors like Jennifer Weiner and Sophie Kinsella, or just want a great read to keep you entertained, These Girls is for you. ( )
  candc320 | Jun 3, 2015 |
Sarah Pekkanen has been added to my favorite author list! (she knows chick lit). I have read five of her books recently, (all winners), and looking forward to reading The Opposite of Me and Skipping a Beat. (I seem to begin with newer ones and work my way back.)

If you enjoy Jennifer Weiner and Emily Giffin (which I am a big fan of both), you will love Sarah’s books. She gets to the heart of the matter through friends and family, especially in the gal pal relationship. Each of her characters has a past, a story which has not been told, and much baggage--- she sets the stage delivering tidbits to keep you hanging until the end.

Engaging, warming, and humorous and with realistic topics of student/teacher romantic relationship, nanny/boss, weight/diet pills, past unfaithfulness of parents, step siblings, and some secrets which haunt them and have been hidden away come to the surface, plus others. The fun setting in NYC, glamour magazines, and social media--which carries this fast paced novel to a satisfying ending. Would love to see a sequel and continuation of the character of Renee. ( )
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
For my family of girlfriend, especially Rachel Baker And in loving memory of Anita Cheng
"Hold it!" a voice commanded.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,852,109 books! | Top bar: Always visible