Preservation by Rachael Wade

Preservation (edition 2012)

by Rachael Wade, Susan Miller (Editor)

Member:BookConfessions
Title:Preservation
Authors:Rachael Wade
Other authors:Susan Miller (Editor)
Info:Rabbit Hole Press (2012), Paperback, 272 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Romance, YA Romance, Fiction, YA Fiction, Contemporary Romance, Rachael Wade, Student Teacher Romance

Preservation by Rachael Wade

Ryan and Kate are that couple that are always either together or breaking up, in a constant state of flux. And their reasons for "ending" their relationship always had a solid basis in reality. They are both volatile people who let their emotions tun their lives. Unfortunatly, even after they make semi-sane decisions to leave the other, they end up back together every time. For no reason that I could understand. Their issues were never solved. It was like they just got tired of not being together, so they forgot why they broke up. Now, like I said, I know people like this in real life, and it is utterly exhausting to be around them. So I sure don't want to read about it. Apparently this is a series, but I just don't see this ending as a HEA since it was just following the pattern of getting back together after a legitimate breakup (and Ryan being a total freaking ass), except this time he put a ring on it. I just don't buy it.

Other than that I liked the writing style, and would like to see what the author could do with more logical problem solving. Haven't decided if I want to read the next one or not. Despite the major issues I had, I still enjoyed reading this book.

Copy courtesy of Rabbit Hole Press, via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
Review:http://lifeasabookaddict.blogspot.com/2012/09/preservation-by-rachael-wade_9.html

Preservation was an easy story to get into. Kate Parker is a college student living in Seattle who is trying to get by. She feels the constant pressures of life as she worries about paying for college, the threat of getting evicted from her apartment, and her sick mom that she takes care of. Life is by no means easy for her, but she manages the best she knows how. She is focused and serious about what she wants and how she will go about it. Kate wants to become a writer and have her work published.
The story starts with Kate being late for her creative writing class with her new professor Ryan Campbell. As the story progresses Kate and Ryan keep running into each other and they start spending time together. At first Ryan warns Kate away, mainly because he is her teacher and he doesn't want to get involved with her unless she drops his class, which she refuses to do. They end up starting a relationship regardless. I should note that even though Ryan is her teacher, they are not very far off in age. Both of their past relationships have not been very great, so they have reason to be cautious of where things are going, but Ryan isn't that cautious. I was surprised that even though Ryan had been hurt previously he was willing to try and be with Kate so quickly. Kate on the other hand...even though she was falling for Ryan, she still put up walls and did not want to invest everything into the relationship at the risk of being hurt.
I really liked the story. It isn't your typical teacher/ student romance at all, and that is what I like about it. This book was a good quick read. I felt like the background of the characters could have been explained a bit more in the book. It would have also been nice to actually find out why Ryan did a complete 180 and changed his ways for Kate. Other than that I did like the characters and I was rooting for them to make it. ( )
  BookConfessions | Sep 9, 2012 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,147,683 books! | Top bar: Always visible