Guts: The Endless Follies and Tiny Triumphs…

Guts: The Endless Follies and Tiny Triumphs of a Giant Disaster (edition 2012)

by Kristen Johnston

Member:Luciana43
Title:Guts: The Endless Follies and Tiny Triumphs of a Giant Disaster
Authors:Kristen Johnston
Info:Gallery Books (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 288 pages
Collections:2012, Listed
Rating:**1/2
Tags:Memoir*

Guts: The Endless Follies and Tiny Triumphs of a Giant Disaster by Kristen Johnston

My kind of book! Quick, easy read, Laugh-out-Loud funny, and a page-turner (and not just b/c it was a quick, easy read either -- I truly couldn't wait to find out what happened.)

I couldn't put this down (and it takes me forever to read a book). I had no idea Kristen was an addict -- never heard anything about it at all in the press. She hid it well! (from the public anyway)

It's sad to read that she wasn't more self-confident because she is a beautiful person. Adolescence is hard enough, then when you have little b*tches like that one chick (I LOVE page 55!) who add to it, it's no wonder that some women loathe themselves.

I applaud Kristen's humor though. And the ending when she "rebels" against the agent who told her to keep quiet! BRAVO, to you Kristen! Hiding your shame just adds to self-hate. SO, good for you for sharing your story. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Cannot wait to read any future writings of yours!

p.s. All throughout the book, all I could think of was the role she played on Sex and the City! Pretty ironic, huh? I was surprised this wasn't mentioned in the book. Also, towards the end, your guest spot on WWHL popped into my head when you asked Andy, "the word of the night isn't 'GUTS', is it? 'Cuz that would be bad." ( )
  GettinBetter | Jun 27, 2016 |
Enjoyed this immensely. Johnston keeps a sort of breakneck pace through the depths of addiction and the slower, stumbling walk into the light of day...and retains an irreverent yet profound sense of humor about it all. ( )
  bibleblaster | Jan 23, 2016 |
I picked up this book because I loved the actress on Third Rock from the Sun. I thought it would be a funny memoir about acting, being beautiful, achieving success again and again. Instead, it's about Johnston overcoming her addiction. I guess I'm naive, but I didn't even know she had an addiction! She glosses over her childhood and even her beginning acting success, which originally bugged me, because that's what I wanted to read about. The book instead centers around her stomach actually ripping open and releasing acid into her body due to ingesting so much wine and medication. The majority of the book focuses on her period of recuperating in a London hospital, and finally getting sober after the fact. Pretty funny at times, kind of depressing and sad, but she has a fresh, honest way of approaching addiction that redeems it all. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
This memoir of Kristen Johnston's (best known as Sally from 3rd Rock from the Sun) addiction to alcohol and hydrocodone reminded me of Portia de Rossi's book about her struggles with eating disorders and over-exercising. They have the same quality writing, they're about the same length, they can be read in one sitting, and they're by Hollywood actresses who are B-list in terms of fame. Both books are honest, free of trash-talk, and both women take responsibility for their problems, which is refreshing.

Johnston is a little grating. Her writing comes across as her trying too hard to be funny. I don't know if she is that funny: her character on 3rd Rock certainly was, but that part was written by other people (which isn't to say she didn't execute it beautifully -- she is a talented person). But her book was interesting enough to entertain me for three or four hours, and that's really all I wanted out of it. I didn't even know it was an addiction memoir until after I picked it up from the library, I just knew it was autobiographical, and I admit I'm fan of "that alien show." ( )
  dysmonia | Apr 15, 2014 |

dysmonia | Apr 15, 2014 |

The actress best known for her work on "3rd Rock from the Sun" traces the story of her career and the personal difficulties that challenged her after "3rd Rock" ended.

76 wanted2 pay1 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,142,762 books! | Top bar: Always visible