Guts: The Endless Follies and Tiny Triumphs…

Guts: The Endless Follies and Tiny Triumphs of a Giant Disaster (edition 2012)

by Kristen Johnston

Member:Luciana43
Title:Guts: The Endless Follies and Tiny Triumphs of a Giant Disaster
Authors:Kristen Johnston
Info:Gallery Books (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 288 pages
Collections:2012, Listed
Rating:**1/2
Tags:Memoir*

Guts: The Endless Follies and Tiny Triumphs of a Giant Disaster by Kristen Johnston

This memoir of Kristen Johnston's (best known as Sally from 3rd Rock from the Sun) addiction to alcohol and hydrocodone reminded me of Portia de Rossi's book about her struggles with eating disorders and over-exercising. They have the same quality writing, they're about the same length, they can be read in one sitting, and they're by Hollywood actresses who are B-list in terms of fame. Both books are honest, free of trash-talk, and both women take responsibility for their problems, which is refreshing.

Johnston is a little grating. Her writing comes across as her trying too hard to be funny. I don't know if she is that funny: her character on 3rd Rock certainly was, but that part was written by other people (which isn't to say she didn't execute it beautifully -- she is a talented person). But her book was interesting enough to entertain me for three or four hours, and that's really all I wanted out of it. I didn't even know it was an addiction memoir until after I picked it up from the library, I just knew it was autobiographical, and I admit I'm fan of "that alien show." ( )

Great book!!!!
  ownedbycats | Sep 1, 2013 |
Thankful that I'm not addicted to alcohol or vicodin, but interested in the authors idea that we're all addicted to SOMETHING. Also, note to self, if your guts are going to explode. try to be in England when it happens. Their National Health System is no joke! ( )
  wwrawson | Mar 31, 2013 |

The actress best known for her work on "3rd Rock from the Sun" traces the story of her career and the personal difficulties that challenged her after "3rd Rock" ended.

98 wanted2 pay1 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,115,620 books! | Top bar: Always visible