Disengaged by Beth Orsoff

Disengaged

by Beth Orsoff

721,138,814 (3.5)None
audio (1) chick lit (1) ebook (1) fiction (1) novel (1) romance (1) to-read (1)

Posted on Romancing the Book's blog
Reviewed by JoAnne
Review Copy Provided by the Publisher

This was a book that was filled with conflict, angst, and lies but also romance, friendships and a couple of unexpected happily ever afters. From page one, Allie didn’t seem happy or comfortable with her life but kept trying to do what she thought everyone else wanted to keep the peace. Then there would be a blowup, the problem would get swept under the rug and ultimately ignored in order to get life back on an even keel. This was a recurring theme with a few breaths of fresh air thrown in – namely Allie’s best friend Michael or her new friend Jax.

There were parts of the story that were totally predictable and then the author would throw in some very unexpected twists and turns and show us what she was really capable of. Most of the book pertained to Allie’s and Brad’s engagement and wedding planning. When this wasn’t the center of attention there were greater stories to unfold. The ending was not at all what I expected but really gave nice closure to the story and the character’s lives. I have not read books by Orsoff before but will definitely look into reading others. I hope they have less angst and more love, commitment and romance.

Favorite Quote: …I was standing behind the plate glass window, trying to pry the short veil with rhinestones off the mannequin’s head without knocking over the display, when Jax walked by. He glanced in the window and I waved, but he didn’t break his stride. He’d almost reached the entrance to the book shop next door before he stopped and turned around. I waved again and motioned for him to join me inside the store…

Jax continued to gape without saying a word.

“Don’t you like it?” I loved it, but maybe I was the only one. Maybe it really looked horrible and Madeline had kept quiet so she wouldn’t lose the sale.

Finally, he broke his silence. “You’re gorgeous.”

And that was with my hair in a ponytail and no makeup! “I would’ve settled for a nice dress.”

“I honestly didn’t know it was possible for anyone to look that good with their clothes on.” ( )
  RtB | Jun 11, 2012 |
This was by no means Beth's finest piece of work, but I still found it an engaging read. The characters are well fleshed out and interesting and the storyline was engaging and kept my interest. I found myself able to put myself in Allie's place and could easily see myself sympathizing with her.

While the idea isn't exactly fresh, Beth lends a new twist to the age old story of what do you do when you get engaged to what you think is the perfect man for you and once you get the ring on your finger you realize that he isn't what you thought. Her Mother-in Law to be is a harrowing beatch, her fiance, much to Allies horror, has an unnatural thing going on with - shall we say - something unconventional which finally allows Allie to jump off the wedding band wagon and to stop doing what she thinks she should want.

It stands to reason that if your mother and all of your close friends think you are making the biggest mistake in your life, perhaps you should listen to them.

A nice fast, light and edgy read with several very humorous parts. ( )
  Cats57 | Dec 27, 2011 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,703,792 books! | Top bar: Always visible