Full Blooded by Amanda Carlson

Full Blooded

by Amanda Carlson

Jessica is the only full-blooded female werewolf in her pack, something that has never been seen before. When she starts displaying abilities no one else has, interest and suspicion of her rises. When a vampire mercenary comes to town to discover the truth about her, Jessica finds herself in the middle of a war.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Feb 14, 2017 |
*Book source ~ NetGalley

Jessica McClain was born the only female in a male dominated race of shifters. Sharing a special bond with her twin Tyler didn’t make things any easier. Her very existence created unease and outright fear due to an ancient prophecy. When she didn’t change in her teens the tension died down somewhat. However, ten years after she should have shifted she suddenly does shift becoming the only full-blooded female werewolf ever known to exist. Only she isn’t exactly a werewolf like her father and brother. She’s something else. With factions gunning to either kidnap or kill her, it’s no longer a question of whether she should exist, but whether she can stay alive long enough to figure out why she exists.

*sigh* This story had so much promise. It was a little rocky in the beginning, but I can overlook that in a first novel. However, when it degenerated down into a stinking pool of ridiculousness I had to cry foul. Its crimes:
1. Trying too hard to be badass
2. Exposition in the middle of a fight as if your enemy is just going to stand around with his thumb up his ass while you talk and talk and talk and, for the love of all that’s holy, talk some more.
3. Yelling at people that time is of the essence and there’s no time to talk about her change when the police are on the way and there’s a dead body in her apartment!!!!! then her dad calls and all of a sudden she wants long winded answers RIGHT NOW by gum! *petulantly stomps foot*
4. Insta-love
5. Badass insta-love interest turns into dumbass insta-love interest because Jessica is all that
6. Jessica is so very speshul but no explanation is really given as to the speshulness
7. formulaic writing

I’m done. No more of this series for me. ( )
  AVoraciousReader | Nov 11, 2016 |
4.5/5
This was a pretty sleek, edgy and action-packed urban fantasy, and I breezed through it in a matter of hours.

You will have no problem loving Jessica if you are a fan of urban fantasy. She is a tough girl who's got guts, and the whole series is written in the spirit of early Kelley Armstrong and Rachel Vincent.

She comes from a strong pack of werewolves, a bit of a freak because she is a girl in a society where a woman giving birth to a girl is an extreme rarity and she defies rules as she chooses to live alone and work as a private detective to get away from the family oppressive love and the pack's paranoia and fear of the unknown.

Suddenly she experiences her first shift which is another thing that does not happen - women do not become werewolves, and everything in her life goes to hell. Her own pack is divided in loyalty over a strange old prophecy; wolves from other packs are hunting her down; a suspicious policeman investigates her and a famous assassin is hired to kill her. On top of it all, her abilities grow not quite like anything she's ever known.

Carlson's world-building is similar to Armstrong's in regard of all nature of paranormals existing in it, but it's also very different, and we gradually find out about this or that species.

Overall, I predict a very successful series despite a minor issue of instalove between two main characters closer to the end. This is my major pet peeve in shifters books - all that finding a perfect mate and bonding instantly stuff... To me it just sounds like a cheat sheet to a relationship.

However, it only raises its ugly head right in the end and as such doesn't have time to annoy the reader too much. The ending itself is rather abrupt which is another thing that made me drop the rating of the book slightly. Otherwise, it's very much recommended. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
This review is going to be a little different from my usual reviews. First I won’t be doing it alone, my sister Juanita is joining me today, she is going to help me review Full Blooded, but that is not the only thing different, Full Blooded is the first book Juanita have read in this “kind” of genre. Her books usually don’t have supernatural creatures or different worlds in them. I can honestly say that Full Blooded popped her Urban Fantasy Cherry.

Marcela: Welcome and thank you for trusting me and getting out of your comfort zone. I loved Full Blooded so much that I knew if I book was going to get you addicted to “my kind” of books, Full Blooded was going to be the one. For what we’ve talked I can guess you really liked it but I rather hear (read) you say it. Let me know what was your first impression while reading it and we go from there.

Juanita: Thanks for giving me this book, as you know it’s definitely out of my comfort zone and choice of books, but I am very glad I took the chance to read it. It was a very smooth read, to the point that when I was almost finished I had to check to make sure it really was the end, I read it too fast! My first reaction was to search when the next book is coming out! I loved everything in it (except that I have to wait for the next book), I usually have to force my self to finish fantasy books and I don't feel like I want to read anything about it for a while. Not in this case! I even set an alarm for the day the next book, Hot Blooded, comes out.
So if you want to convert someone into this genre Full Blooded will do the trick.

Marcela: I’m very glad to hear that! Now let’s talk about Jessica. I really loved her, in my opinion she is the perfect heroine, she is smart, snaky and brave; I loved how she affronted her situation and instead of hiding she wanted to be in the frontline of the action. I can also imagine how difficult it must had been for her growing up hearing she is an anomaly, with people hating her and wanting her dead just because she is female and despite that she hasn’t let it affect her life much, she has done the best with what life has given her.

Juanita: I really liked Jessica, I loved that she feels so "normal", regardless of being supernatural, and nonetheless a werewolf what makes her very strong, and like many people say "bad ass", and somehow she is still very feminine, I really liked that about her.
It's great to see how the author made her past into something that will help her become someone better and stronger instead of dwelling in the past or becoming someone afraid to live.
I am looking forward to see what she is going to do in the next book, but I don't think we can give all the praise to her alone. She has a great support group that definitely helped her be who she is... And who better than her business partner and best friend, Nicky. There is something about the guy that you have to love; we all like to have that dependable friend. It's cool that he is from a different "species" and they still work great as a team. He is smart, funny and a great complement for Jessica

Marcela: I agree completely, Nicky is the perfect sidekick; he is not only funny and caring but also very loyal. But if we are going to talk about secondary characters we need to talk about Jessica’s brother Tyler and her father Callum. I really loved how they love her and fought for her, putting her wellbeing above everything else. I can’t imagine how difficult must be for them especially for Callum as the Pack Alpha to see your own daughter attacked by his own people.

Juanita: Indeed, the balance he has between being a father and the Pack Alpha is very interesting; he keeps a balance of the packs best interest and Jessica's. I'm really looking forward to learn more about him. Also the relation between Tyler and Jessica is the typical siblings interaction, is very entertaining to see the way they tease each other, but at the same time how much they really care for the other’s well being.
Now that we moved to strong characters, we have to mention James...I really want to hear a lot more about him! He is that bad boy that we all love, strong, smart, hot… I really hope that we get much more about him. Another character that will have you thinking is Danny; he is the typical "player" all the time ready to flirt when the opportunity presents and even if it doesn't he'll make one.
Now to cool the mood a little, what do you think of the villains?

Marcela: Before talking about the villains I need to talk about James, OMFG he is sex on a stick, that guy is not only hot as hell but also a great friend, one you can trust with your life (and your body…), You may think bad boy when you see him but he’s nothing of the sort, he is loyal, smart and commanding, that’s why he’s Callum’s Second in the Pack. About Danny, I loved how funny he was, with only couple of words he was able to light up the mood. I really hope to see more of them in future books.
Now on the villains, I hated the pack guys that went against Jessica; they are a clear example of how bigotry can affect somebody to the point to make them betray their own people. And about the vampires, wow, Mrs. Carlson writes in a way that made them freaky creepy and the best part is that they don’t sparkle! I’m dying to know what is the secret agenda the vampire Queen has in regards to Jessica.

Juanita: Oh, My God, those vampires were creepy in a way that I haven't heard in a long time. There was certainly nothing cool about these ones; they were scary and not fun in any way. I also want to know what is the plan they have with Jessica, why she is so important for them (and other creepy creatures).
In general this is a book that I know I will recommend to all the people I know who like to read, and even if they are not avid readers Full Blooded is a good way to escape reality.
All I can say is that I am really looking forward to Mrs. Carlson next book, Hot Blooded. Full Blooded was such an easy and smooth read that I might become a fan of this genre.

Marcela: I’m really happy to hear (read) that! I agree completely with you; with its solid plot and its fast pace Full Blooded have you glued to its pages from beginning to end, and talking about ends we need to talk a little bit about that other character (Rourke) we haven’t mention to avoid spoilers, let’s just say about him that he’s dreamy and I would love to make him “purr”, just thinking about him made me want to break into Mrs. Carlson house to get a sneak peek at Hot Blooded, I can’t wait to April 23rd, 2013 to get my greedy hands on him, sorry on it.

Juanita: Well since you mention that character that makes you want to "purr", well, I am sure he will be an important part of the next book (I should hope so), Rourke is a full package, strong, powerful, sexy, smart, hot... Oh! My!
Guess all is left is to wait for April.
Once again, thanks for the recommendation! And I'll be looking forward for the next book.

Marcela: Juanita thank you for believing in me and taking the risk to read Full Blooded, I’m very happy you loved it! I knew you would ;)

Ok, people as you can see a no-fan of this genre loved Full Blooded with that you can imagine how good this book is. Mrs. Carlson created a new addictive series, one I recommend to all of you, trust me as Juanita did, I promise you won’t regret it.
My only thing left to say is: “Mercy Thompson and Faythe Sanders should watch out because there’s a new girl in town and Jessica McClain is here to stay”. ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
I went into Full Blooded not having heard that much about it. Well it surprised the heck out of me! I loved it. The world Amanda Carlson created was for me unique. The only female shifter ever! There has never been a female shifter born, the male shifters have kids with mortal women but only have boys. When she was born someone sent an email with what is called The Cain Prophecy, to Jessica's father. It says that a female shifter will be born and will bring about the down fall of the shifter race. As you can imagine everyone is gunning for Jessica's death and it only gets worse when she shifts unexpectedly the first time. It also doesn't help that she seems to be a Lycan, a race that hasn't been seen in centuries.
Jessica is a kickass character. When she leaves her fathers compound she becomes Molly Hannon. She joins the police force but eventually becomes a private investigator. She is a P.I for all things supernatural and can totally handle herself even before she finds out she is a shifter. When she shifts for the first time, her whole world changes. She is trying to learn to be a wolf and control it while fighting for her life. Every possible supernatural creature is trying to capture or kill her. This book is in no way dull!!
For me the secondary characters make the book so much better. Jessica's father, The Alpha, is one of the strongest Alphas ever. He does everything he can to protect her and keep her safe. Tyler, Jessica's brother, is loyal and a brother anyone can hope for. James is The Alphas second and is just swoon worthy. I loved his character, strong, fierce, sexy and loyal!! Then we meet Rourke. He is a shifter cat but nobody knows what kind. He is mysterious, serious and badass and I can't wait to find out more about him.
Full Blooded sure packed a punch. There was never a dull moment and I absolutely devoured it. With every kind of supe in it, magic, shifters, kickass characters, hot guys and plenty of action, you would be remiss not to read it. I'd highly recommend it and I'm looking forward to reading more. ( )
  BookLoversLife | Apr 24, 2014 |
For Bill, Paige, Nat & Jane
I drew in a ragged breath and tried hard to surface from one hell of a nightmare.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316205206, Paperback)

It's not easy being a girl. It's even harder when you're the only girl in a family of werewolves. But it's next to impossible when your very existence spells out the doom of your race... Meet Jessica McClain -- she just became part of the pack.

In the vein of Kelley Armstrong and Patricia Briggs, a new urban fantasy that rewrites the werewolf myth...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:51 -0400)

"It's not easy being a girl. It's even harder when you're the only girl in a family of werewolves. But it's next to impossible when your very existence spells out the doom of your race"--P. [4] of cover.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Full Blooded by Amanda Carlson was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,214,415 books! | Top bar: Always visible