The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

The Night Circus (edition 2011)

by Erin Morgenstern

Info:Doubleday (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 400 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Read, Fiction

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell: A Novel by Susanna Clarke (historycycles, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Magical rivalries are at the heart of these unconventional Fantasy novels, which play out over decades and against elaborate, atmospheric 19th-century backdrops. Their initially relaxed pacing gains momentum as the various narrative threads dramatically converge.… (more)
    Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (JGKC)
    The Prestige by Christopher Priest (shelfoflisa, 47degreesnorth)
    shelfoflisa: Another tale of duelling victorian magicians
    Water for Elephants: A Novel by Sara Gruen (Oryan685)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (Larkken)
    Larkken: Each detail a dreamlike world overlapping but hidden from the real world to most people.
    The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (LDVoorberg)
    LDVoorberg: Fantasy with enough reality to make it seem plausible
    The Magicians by Lev Grossman (Anonymous user)
    Od Magic by Patricia A. McKillip (amysisson)
    amysisson: Both are fantasy about magic and performance, with lovely writing.
    Little, Big by John Crowley (ktbarnes)
    ktbarnes: Both have magical realism, with a fairytale feel
    The Book of Lost Things: A Novel by John Connolly (bluenotebookonline)
    Touch by Alexi Zentner (JessiAdams)
    JessiAdams: Both books have a similiar combination of realism and fantasy with similiar imagery. Wish I could describe it better, but I can't. Both of these books just FEEL the same.
    The Merro Tree by Katie Waitman (amysisson)
    amysisson: Both are about the magic of performance, and have colorful performer characters, although one is science fiction and the other is fantasy.
    Mr. Vertigo by Paul Auster (tandah)
    Vassa in the Night: A Novel by Sarah Porter (mzonderm)
    The Gracekeepers by Kirsty Logan (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: Everyone loves a fantastical circus.
    Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin (TomWaitsTables)
    Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan (caittilynn)
    The Accidental Highwayman: Being the Tale of Kit Bristol, His Horse Midnight, a Mysterious Princess, and Sundry Magical Persons Besides by Ben Tripp (Othemts)
    Martin Dressler: The Tale of an American Dreamer by Steven Millhauser (d04rules)
    d04rules: Both fantastical books for dreamers
    The Zigzag Kid by David Grossman (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: A magical adult enters the life of a young person...

Circus (9)

English (895)  Dutch (4)  German (4)  Swedish (1)  Chinese (1)  Finnish (1)  Turkish (1)  Greek (1)  Danish (1)  All (909)
No words I write are going to do this book justice.

It’s a tale about a competition between two young magicians. They have been trained since childhood solely for this competition. Only one will be left standing. But when they meet, they fall in love.

It’s amazing. The way the author writes is beautiful and magical. She has such talent. I felt like I was sitting on cotton candy clouds reading this.
  jenn88 | Apr 25, 2017 |
The Night Circus is a book I really, really wanted to like. It was so pretty, but it was almost like they made this book so beautiful to cover up how empty the book really is, the story I mean. Not the entire book was bad; there were lovely parts, marvelous characters. But the main characters Celia and Marco, their “romance” ruined the books, mostly because I didn’t care about them, they weren’t the books most interesting characters (one big problem!) all the other characters in the books was so much more interesting. For instance, I wanted to know more about Hector Bowen and Alexander, their past history, all the challengers. I wanted to know more about Tsukiko. Instead, I get a romance that lacks passion. I mean, suddenly in the book they are passionately in love and I felt that they author just rushed into it, as if she suddenly realized the books is soon over, I must make my character fall in love, pronto. Gah!

I’m glad I just borrowed the book from the library. It was great to look at, it was not all bad to read, but untimely, not as great as I had hoped it would be!
  MaraBlaise | Apr 14, 2017 |
Descriptions that still haunt my dreams. I wanted to pause at points, to linger over pages and allow the world Morgenstern created to fill my imagination. Gorgeously written! ( )
  ShannonY | Apr 5, 2017 |
WOW! This book was incredible at first it started out slow and I almost didn't finish it but I am so glad I did. The beginning has a lot of detail and description but give it a chance I swear it will grow on you! This book was woven with beautiful detail and told a great story of love and the choices we must make in life. It really made me think and I couldn't put it down definitely give it a shot!
1 vote kimberlykk | Mar 23, 2017 |
I am a reader who should have hated this novel; yet I found it enchanting, and affecting, too, in spite of its sentimental ending. Morgenstern's patient, lucid construction of her circus – of its creators and performers and followers – makes for a world of illusion more real than that of many a realist fiction. There is a matter-of-factness about the magicians' magic, a consistency about the parameters of the circus world, that succeeds both in itself and as a comment upon the need for and nature of illusion in general. While the novel's occasional philosophical gestures seem glib ("You are no longer quite certain which side of the fence is the dream"), the book enacts its worldview more satisfyingly than could any summary or statement. Rather than forcing its readers to be prisoners in someone else's imagination, Morgenstern's imaginary circus invites readers to join in an exploration of the possible.

Underneath the icy polish of her prose, Morgenstern well understands what makes The Night Circus tick: that Marco and Celia, whether in competition or in love, are part of a wider world they must engage with but also transcend. It’s a world whose mystique and enigma is hard to shake off, and that invites multiple visits.

The Night Circus is one of those books. One of those rare, wonderful, transcendent books that, upon finishing, you want to immediately start again.

The book itself looks beautiful but creaky plotting and lifeless characters leave The Night Circus less than enchanting
added by ncgraham | editThe Observer, Olivia Laing (Sep 11, 2011)

I'm not rating it yet because I'm conflicted. The first half has beautiful imagery and fabulous visuals but it became tedious to read pages and pages of descriptive writing. I abandoned the audio book despite the wonderful narration by Jim Dale and switched to the hardback. I admit I skimmed some passages. There wasn't enough character development and the third person present tense kept me from becoming emotionally invested in the characters. The last 100 pages were more gripping and several secondary characters were more interesting to me than the two main characters. I wanted to know more about Poppet, Widget, Bailey, and Herr Thiessen and wish they had played a more prominent role in the story. The movie rights have been sold and I suspect I'm going to like the movie better than the book. Yet I'm glad I read it. It's unique, like nothing I've ever read before.

Update: I'm going with 3 stars but with a caveat. The first 2/3 was a 2 star read for me and the last third was close to a 4 because I was interested in how it would end. That averages out to a 3 although at best it was a 2.5. I know I'm not alone but I guess I'm in the minority in not being totally enthralled.

Erin Morgensternprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dale, JimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fontana, JohnCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jakobeit, BrigitteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koay, Pei LoiDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Musselwhite, HelenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.
--Oscar Wilde, 1888
The circus arrives without warning.
Follow your dreams, Bailey, she says. Be they Harvard or something else entirely. No matter what that father of yours says, or how loudly he might say it. He forgets that he was someone's dream once himself.
Children are dragged away with promises that they may return the next evening, though the circus will not be there the next evening and later those children will feel slighted and betrayed.
You are no longer quite certain which side of the fence is the dream.
I do not like being left in the dark. I am not particularly fond of believing in impossible things.
You're not destined or chosen, I wish I could tell you that you were if that would make it easier, but it's not true. You're in the right place at the right time, and you care enough to do what needs to be done. Sometimes that's enough.

A circus known as Le Cirque des Reves features two illusionists, Celia and Marco, who are unknowingly competing in a game to which they have been irrevocably bound by their mercurial masters, and as the two fall deeply and passionately in love with each other, their masters intervene with dangerous consequences.
Magicians in love
Forced to duel at the circus
Put on a great show.
(yoyogod)
Where a boy bears lovers' dreams
with a seer of stars
and night goes on forever.
(blueviolent)
A light and airy
feast for the senses. But wait,
darkness lurks beneath.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307744434, Paperback)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, September 2011: Erin Morgenstern’s dark, enchanting debut takes us to the black and white tents of Le Cirque des Reves, a circus that arrives without warning, simply appearing when yesterday it was not there. Young Celia and Marco have been cast into a rivalry at The Night Circus, one arranged long ago by powers they do not fully understand. Over time, their lives become more intricately enmeshed in a dance of love, joy, deceit, heartbreak, and magic. Author Morgenstern knows her world inside and out, and she guides the reader with a confident hand. The setting and tone are never less than mesmerizing. The characters are well-realized and memorable. But it is the Night Circus itself that might be the most memorable of all. --Chris Schluep

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:51 -0400)

Waging a fierce competition for which they have trained since childhood, circus magicians Celia and Marco unexpectedly fall in love with each other and share a fantastical romance that manifests in fateful ways.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,888,826 books! | Top bar: Always visible