The Night Circus: A Novel by Erin…

The Night Circus: A Novel (edition 2011)

by Erin Morgenstern

Rating:****1/2
Tags:magic, circus, games, 2012

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Recently added byHenbaben
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (historycycles, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Magical rivalries are at the heart of these unconventional Fantasy novels, which play out over decades and against elaborate, atmospheric 19th-century backdrops. Their initially relaxed pacing gains momentum as the various narrative threads dramatically converge.… (more)
    Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (JGKC)
    Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen (Oryan685)
    The Prestige by Christopher Priest (shelfoflisa, 47degreesnorth)
    shelfoflisa: Another tale of duelling victorian magicians
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (Larkken)
    Larkken: Each detail a dreamlike world overlapping but hidden from the real world to most people.
  6. 2010
    The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (LDVoorberg)
    LDVoorberg: Fantasy with enough reality to make it seem plausible
    The Magicians by Lev Grossman (Anonymous user)
    Little, Big by John Crowley (ktbarnes)
    ktbarnes: Both have magical realism, with a fairytale feel
    The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly (bluenotebookonline)
    Touch by Alexi Zentner (JessiAdams)
    JessiAdams: Both books have a similiar combination of realism and fantasy with similiar imagery. Wish I could describe it better, but I can't. Both of these books just FEEL the same.
    Mr Vertigo by Paul Auster (tandah)
    The Merro Tree by Katie Waitman (amysisson)
    amysisson: Both are about the magic of performance, and have colorful performer characters, although one is science fiction and the other is fantasy.
    Od Magic by Patricia A. McKillip (amysisson)
    amysisson: Both are fantasy about magic and performance, with lovely writing.
    The Gracekeepers: A Novel by Kirsty Logan (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: Everyone loves a fantastical circus.
    The Golem and the Jinni: A Novel by Helene Wecker (sturlington)
    sturlington: Fantastical elements in a historical setting.
    Martin Dressler: The Tale of an American Dreamer by Steven Millhauser (d04rules)
    d04rules: Both fantastical books for dreamers
    The Accidental Highwayman: Being the Tale of Kit Bristol, His Horse Midnight, a Mysterious Princess, and Sundry Magical Persons Besides by Ben Tripp (Othemts)
    Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan (caittilynn)
    Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin (TomWaitsTables)
    The Zigzag Kid by David Grossman (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: A magical adult enters the life of a young person...

English (724)  Dutch (4)  German (3)  Chinese (1)  Swedish (1)  Turkish (1)  Greek (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (736)
I enjoyed this book immensely. Morgenstern has such a way with words. She drew me into her story immediately with her writing style. The descriptions of the circus are so real you can see, hear, taste, and smell the things she is describing. Yes, there are parts of the story that take a little stretch of the imagination to believe, but that's the whole point of the circus! Stretching the imagination to take you places you've never been. This was a wonderful book. One that I'm considering starting over again. ( )
  manuahs | May 21, 2015 |
Utter drivel ( )
  katherineemilysmith | May 12, 2015 |
This is a book that you will either love or not. I am in the latter category. I found its plot slow and thin and considered abandoning it several times. I did finish it, and found the last third of the story pick up significantly.

There has been a lot of praise for this book and I can understand why, its a bit "arty" and presents the reader with a mood and style that is unique. Ms. Morgenstern is clearly a talented writer. However, like I said - its either your cup of tea or not. ( )
  dham340 | May 10, 2015 |
A mesmerizing puzzle in plot, setting, and characters. The story is one of a magicians duel--between two magicians who were purposely trained for it, though their trainers were purposefully secretive about it. They are brought to the Night Circus--the venue for their duel--not knowing at first who their opponent is. One is a young man named Marco, the other a young women named Cecilia, and yes, they are quite attracted to each other despite their duel. The best parts of this book, however, are the dazzling descriptions of the Circus itself--a scrumptious fantasy setting full of wonder and whimsy. This is a lovely read that lingers long after the last page is turned and definitely recommended to anyone who enjoys fantastical worlds. ( )
  debs4jc | May 8, 2015 |
I got so excited at how good this book is when I started listening that I forgot what it was saying and I had to rewind it. She has an imagination in the leagues of J.K. Rowling, which is obviously saying a lot. Actually, she sort of has the same sense of humor too. You know, I think J.K. Rowling secretly wrote another story under someone else's name and picture. The fact that Jim Dale reads it adds to this illusion I am sure. Hoping the story holds up. Will update later.

Later: I'm giving it five stars because I loved every minute of it. However, since I started off by comparing it to the likes of Harry Potter, I feel I should finish in that vein. The fantastical, imaginative elements hold up till the end and remained just as impressive to me as those found in the Potter universe. The story? In comparison, I would have to admit it lacks substance. It would sort of be the equivalent of the Harry Potter books being mostly a tour through Hogwarts, discovering every little nook and cranny and just having an exploration of the senses (only in this story it's a circus). I'm not saying there's not a story, because there is. And it held my interest. What I felt it lacked was high stakes. It had the potential to have the conflict of Harry Potter or even Hunger Games, but you never really felt the urgency of it. You were certainly curious how it would play out, but it just didn't have that gripping quality I felt it could have had. Still, it was highly enjoyable, and I would very much recommend it for those who love magical things, or the circus, or Jim Dale :). ( )
1 vote KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
Magic without passion is pretty much a trip to Pier One: lots of shrink-wrapped candles. One wishes Morgenstern had spent less time on the special effects and more on the hauntingly unanswerable question that runs, more or less ignored, through these pages: Can children love who were never loved, only used as intellectual machines? What kind of magic reverses that spell? It’s not as pretty a spectacle, but that’s a story that grips the heart.

I am a reader who should have hated this novel; yet I found it enchanting, and affecting, too, in spite of its sentimental ending. Morgenstern's patient, lucid construction of her circus – of its creators and performers and followers – makes for a world of illusion more real than that of many a realist fiction. There is a matter-of-factness about the magicians' magic, a consistency about the parameters of the circus world, that succeeds both in itself and as a comment upon the need for and nature of illusion in general. While the novel's occasional philosophical gestures seem glib ("You are no longer quite certain which side of the fence is the dream"), the book enacts its worldview more satisfyingly than could any summary or statement. Rather than forcing its readers to be prisoners in someone else's imagination, Morgenstern's imaginary circus invites readers to join in an exploration of the possible.

Underneath the icy polish of her prose, Morgenstern well understands what makes The Night Circus tick: that Marco and Celia, whether in competition or in love, are part of a wider world they must engage with but also transcend. It’s a world whose mystique and enigma is hard to shake off, and that invites multiple visits.

The Night Circus is one of those books. One of those rare, wonderful, transcendent books that, upon finishing, you want to immediately start again.

The book itself looks beautiful but creaky plotting and lifeless characters leave The Night Circus less than enchanting
added by ncgraham | editThe Observer, Olivia Laing (Sep 11, 2011)

Erin Morgensternprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dale, JimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fontana, JohnCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jakobeit, BrigitteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koay, Pei LoiDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Musselwhite, HelenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.
--Oscar Wilde, 1888
The circus arrives without warning.
Follow your dreams, Bailey, she says. Be they Harvard or something else entirely. No matter what that father of yours says, or how loudly he might say it. He forgets that he was someone's dream once himself.
Children are dragged away with promises that they may return the next evening, though the circus will not be there the next evening and later those children will feel slighted and betrayed.
You are no longer quite certain which side of the fence is the dream.
I do not like being left in the dark. I am not particularly fond of believing in impossible things.
You're not destined or chosen, I wish I could tell you that you were if that would make it easier, but it's not true. You're in the right place at the right time, and you care enough to do what needs to be done. Sometimes that's enough.

A circus known as Le Cirque des Reves features two illusionists, Celia and Marco, who are unknowingly competing in a game to which they have been irrevocably bound by their mercurial masters, and as the two fall deeply and passionately in love with each other, their masters intervene with dangerous consequences.
Magicians in love
Forced to duel at the circus
Put on a great show.
(yoyogod)
Where a boy bears lovers' dreams
with a seer of stars
and night goes on forever.
(blueviolent)
A light and airy
Feast for the senses. But wait,
Darkness lurks beneath.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307744434, Paperback)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, September 2011: Erin Morgenstern’s dark, enchanting debut takes us to the black and white tents of Le Cirque des Reves, a circus that arrives without warning, simply appearing when yesterday it was not there. Young Celia and Marco have been cast into a rivalry at The Night Circus, one arranged long ago by powers they do not fully understand. Over time, their lives become more intricately enmeshed in a dance of love, joy, deceit, heartbreak, and magic. Author Morgenstern knows her world inside and out, and she guides the reader with a confident hand. The setting and tone are never less than mesmerizing. The characters are well-realized and memorable. But it is the Night Circus itself that might be the most memorable of all. --Chris Schluep

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:46 -0400)

Waging a fierce competition for which they have trained since childhood, circus magicians Celia and Marco unexpectedly fall in love with each other and share a fantastical romance that manifests in fateful ways.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,213,449 books! | Top bar: Always visible