The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

The Night Circus (edition 2012)

by Erin Morgenstern

5,985None696 (4.08)1 / 717
Member:kookiekat
Title:The Night Circus
Authors:Erin Morgenstern
Info:Anchor (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 528 pages
Rating:*****

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

19th century (41) 2011 (80) 2012 (112) 2013 (49) adult (32) ARC (32) audio (28) audiobook (44) book club (41) circus (380) competition (62) ebook (63) fantasy (676) fiction (660) historical (36) historical fiction (98) illusion (40) Kindle (61) love (73) magic (411) magical realism (145) magicians (124) novel (46) read (83) read in 2011 (47) read in 2012 (81) read in 2013 (33) romance (218) signed (41) to-read (240)
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (historycycles)
    Something Wicked this Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (JGKC)
    Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen (Oryan685)
    The Prestige by Christopher Priest (shelfoflisa, 47degreesnorth)
    shelfoflisa: Another tale of duelling victorian magicians
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (Larkken)
    Larkken: Each detail a dreamlike world overlapping but hidden from the real world to most people.
  6. 1910
    The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (LDVoorberg)
    LDVoorberg: Fantasy with enough reality to make it seem plausible
    The Magicians by Lev Grossman (Anonymous user)
    The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly (bluenotebookonline)
    Little, Big by John Crowley (ktbarnes)
    ktbarnes: Both have magical realism, with a fairytale feel
    Touch by Alexi Zentner (JessiAdams)
    JessiAdams: Both books have a similiar combination of realism and fantasy with similiar imagery. Wish I could describe it better, but I can't. Both of these books just FEEL the same.
    The Merro Tree by Katie Waitman (amysisson)
    amysisson: Both are about the magic of performance, and have colorful performer characters, although one is science fiction and the other is fantasy.
    Mr Vertigo by Paul Auster (tandah)
    Od Magic by Patricia A. McKillip (amysisson)
    amysisson: Both are fantasy about magic and performance, with lovely writing.
    Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan (caittilynn)
    Martin Dressler: The Tale of an American Dreamer by Steven Millhauser (d04rules)
    d04rules: Both fantastical books for dreamers
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (maitebauwens)
    The Zigzag Kid by David Grossman (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: A magical adult enters the life of a young person...
    Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin (one-horse.library)

English (632)  Dutch (4)  German (3)  Chinese (1)  Swedish (1)  Turkish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (643)
A warning to audio listeners. Do not listen to this book. It’s impossible to follow with so many characters and the lack of a chronological sequence. I really wanted to like this book but I just could not follow some of the stories within the book as I could not page back. ( )
1 vote bergs47 | Apr 11, 2014 |
Oh my! What a great book. This is hands down my favorite read this year. The story is simply magical and the plot had me captivated from the first chapter. This book is amazing, especially if you love circus's and magic. Highly recommend! ( )
1 vote JessicaofAbbey | Apr 9, 2014 |
Expertly-crafted, luxuriant prose. Great if you like the fairy-tale genre, but the downfall for me was, as the character Tsukiko said: "I am not terribly invested in the outcome". ( )
1 vote AmourFou | Apr 8, 2014 |
I highly recommend it for artists and dreamers.
Finding Shakespeare references caused me to smile, Morgenstern weaves many of Shakespeare’s themes into this novel. There are the star-crossed lovers, comedy, tragedy and magic:
-It had a Romeo and Juliet feel to the plot (Marco and Celia's love warned against by their mentors)
-Midsummer's Night Dream (actors controlled magically)
-The Tempest comes strongly into play. (Hector Bowen's stage name, Prospero the Enchanter - he is a magician who tries to manipulate the environment and control his daughter Celia).
-Hamlet – Celia is followed by the ghost of her father and uses an actual quote in an argument with him, "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy"

pg. 489 The Night Circus
(IV.i.148–158) Shakespeare, The Tempest
“Our revels now are ended. These our actors,
As I foretold you, were all spirits, and
Are melted into air, into thin air;
And, like the baseless fabric of this vision,
The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces,
The solemn temples, the great globe itself,
Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve;
And, like this insubstantial pageant faded,
Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff
As dreams are made on, and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.”
1 vote FAR2MANYBOOKS | Apr 5, 2014 |
Read about a third, and quite enjoyed it. But I did not find myself compelled to read every word and skimmed to the end. No doubt this is largely the result of small children and no time. Some very lovely images here.
1 vote ben_a | Apr 5, 2014 |
Magic without passion is pretty much a trip to Pier One: lots of shrink-wrapped candles. One wishes Morgenstern had spent less time on the special effects and more on the hauntingly unanswerable question that runs, more or less ignored, through these pages: Can children love who were never loved, only used as intellectual machines? What kind of magic reverses that spell? It’s not as pretty a spectacle, but that’s a story that grips the heart.

I am a reader who should have hated this novel; yet I found it enchanting, and affecting, too, in spite of its sentimental ending. Morgenstern's patient, lucid construction of her circus – of its creators and performers and followers – makes for a world of illusion more real than that of many a realist fiction. There is a matter-of-factness about the magicians' magic, a consistency about the parameters of the circus world, that succeeds both in itself and as a comment upon the need for and nature of illusion in general. While the novel's occasional philosophical gestures seem glib ("You are no longer quite certain which side of the fence is the dream"), the book enacts its worldview more satisfyingly than could any summary or statement. Rather than forcing its readers to be prisoners in someone else's imagination, Morgenstern's imaginary circus invites readers to join in an exploration of the possible.

Underneath the icy polish of her prose, Morgenstern well understands what makes The Night Circus tick: that Marco and Celia, whether in competition or in love, are part of a wider world they must engage with but also transcend. It’s a world whose mystique and enigma is hard to shake off, and that invites multiple visits.

The Night Circus is one of those books. One of those rare, wonderful, transcendent books that, upon finishing, you want to immediately start again.

The book itself looks beautiful but creaky plotting and lifeless characters leave The Night Circus less than enchanting
added by ncgraham | editThe Observer, Olivia Laing (Sep 11, 2011)

Erin Morgensternprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dale, JimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fontana, JohnCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koay, Pei LoiDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Musselwhite, HelenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The circus arrives without warning.
Follow your dreams, Bailey, she says. Be they Harvard or something else entirely. No matter what that father of yours says, or how loudly he might say it. He forgets that he was someone's dream once himself.
Children are dragged away with promises that they may return the next evening, though the circus will not be there the next evening and later those children will feel slighted and betrayed.
You are no longer quite certain which side of the fence is the dream.
I do not like being left in the dark. I am not particularly fond of believing in impossible things.
You're not destined or chosen, I wish I could tell you that you were if that would make it easier, but it's not true. You're in the right place at the right time, and you care enough to do what needs to be done. Sometimes that's enough.

A circus known as Le Cirque des Reves features two illusionists, Celia and Marco, who are unknowingly competing in a game to which they have been irrevocably bound by their mercurial masters, and as the two fall deeply and passionately in love with each other, their masters intervene with dangerous consequences.
Magicians in love
Forced to duel at the circus
Put on a great show.
(yoyogod)
Where a boy bears lovers' dreams
with a seer of stars
and night goes on forever.
(blueviolent)
A light and airy
Feast for the senses. But wait,
Darkness lurks beneath.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307744434, Paperback)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, September 2011: Erin Morgenstern’s dark, enchanting debut takes us to the black and white tents of Le Cirque des Reves, a circus that arrives without warning, simply appearing when yesterday it was not there. Young Celia and Marco have been cast into a rivalry at The Night Circus, one arranged long ago by powers they do not fully understand. Over time, their lives become more intricately enmeshed in a dance of love, joy, deceit, heartbreak, and magic. Author Morgenstern knows her world inside and out, and she guides the reader with a confident hand. The setting and tone are never less than mesmerizing. The characters are well-realized and memorable. But it is the Night Circus itself that might be the most memorable of all. --Chris Schluep

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:46 -0400)

Waging a fierce competition for which they have trained since childhood, circus magicians Celia and Marco unexpectedly fall in love with each other and share a fantastical romance that manifests in fateful ways.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,468,151 books! | Top bar: Always visible