The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

The Night Circus (edition 2010)

by Erin Morgenstern

Info:Doubleday (2010), Edition: 1St Edition, Hardcover
Rating:*****
Tags:2011

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (historycycles, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Magical rivalries are at the heart of these unconventional Fantasy novels, which play out over decades and against elaborate, atmospheric 19th-century backdrops. Their initially relaxed pacing gains momentum as the various narrative threads dramatically converge.… (more)
    Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (JGKC)
    Water for Elephants: A Novel by Sara Gruen (Oryan685)
    The Prestige by Christopher Priest (shelfoflisa, 47degreesnorth)
    shelfoflisa: Another tale of duelling victorian magicians
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (Larkken)
    Larkken: Each detail a dreamlike world overlapping but hidden from the real world to most people.
  6. 2010
    The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (LDVoorberg)
    LDVoorberg: Fantasy with enough reality to make it seem plausible
    The Magicians by Lev Grossman (Anonymous user)
    Little, Big by John Crowley (ktbarnes)
    ktbarnes: Both have magical realism, with a fairytale feel
    The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly (bluenotebookonline)
    Od Magic by Patricia A. McKillip (amysisson)
    amysisson: Both are fantasy about magic and performance, with lovely writing.
    Touch by Alexi Zentner (JessiAdams)
    JessiAdams: Both books have a similiar combination of realism and fantasy with similiar imagery. Wish I could describe it better, but I can't. Both of these books just FEEL the same.
    The Merro Tree by Katie Waitman (amysisson)
    amysisson: Both are about the magic of performance, and have colorful performer characters, although one is science fiction and the other is fantasy.
    Mr. Vertigo by Paul Auster (tandah)
    Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin (TomWaitsTables)
    The Gracekeepers by Kirsty Logan (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: Everyone loves a fantastical circus.
    Martin Dressler: The Tale of an American Dreamer by Steven Millhauser (d04rules)
    d04rules: Both fantastical books for dreamers
    The Accidental Highwayman: Being the Tale of Kit Bristol, His Horse Midnight, a Mysterious Princess, and Sundry Magical Persons Besides by Ben Tripp (Othemts)
    Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan (caittilynn)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (maitebauwens)
    The Zigzag Kid by David Grossman (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: A magical adult enters the life of a young person...

English (826)  Dutch (4)  German (3)  Swedish (1)  Chinese (1)  Finnish (1)  Turkish (1)  Danish (1)  Greek (1)  All languages (839)
The Night Circus is unlike any circus you've probably experienced before. It appears mysteriously and unexpectedly, and is open only during the wee hours of the night. It's not your traditional circus with elephants and tigers and clowns. This circus has tents filled with fantastical sensory experiences for all ages. Underneath it all, unbeknownst to the circus patron, a magical contest of sorts is occurring -- one that even the participants don't understand.

I feel bad for not loving this the way many readers have. It was definitely a unique story, filled with wonderful imagery, and it was fun trying to visualize all of the dream-like experiences that were described in the various circus tents and attractions. I'm not typically a circus-type person, but I suspect I might like a circus such as the one described in this book. But. I just wasn't wrapped up in this story. I found it slow-moving and the plot not overly interesting. It took me several weeks to get through, and I ended up finishing it almost two weeks after my book club deadline. I did not dislike it, but neither was I swept away. It was just "meh" for me. ( )
  indygo88 | May 18, 2016 |
The circus arrives without warning.

One of THE best opening lines, ever. It excited me, begged me to read more, to keep turning the pages.

Wonderful because it filled me with wonder; enchanting because I was completely mesmerized; magical because yes, it has magic, but also because I was spellbound by that magic, I could see that magic, close my eyes and touch it. All my senses were fully engaged. It's a rare book that uses smells and sounds with such clarity and power.

For almost two days I've been attempting to write a review of The Night Circus, one that will capture the intensity with which its story affected me; alas, I cannot find the right words... I find that the case with many, if not all, of the books I know will become a lifelong favorite. The last time I remember feeling this strongly - in a happy, content way - about a book in a similar genre was Big Fish.

To put it simply: I loved The Night Circus and I never wanted it to end, but the ending was perfect!

5 stars

(and I cannot wait to read this again; hopefully, I can make myself wait at least a year lol) ( )
  flying_monkeys | May 16, 2016 |
"Magic", the man in the grey suit repeats, turning the word into a laugh.
Look around you."

Wow, just wow. ( )
  idajo | May 8, 2016 |
I love this story. I started it not remembering the premise, so it was all new to me. It quickly sucked me in and I was immersed into a fantastical world, woven with the reality of those outside looking in; bystanders, if you will. Easy to read and very entertaining, you'll love the characters, and there are alot of them. An old-time circus, only open at night, with performers who have magical but subtle powers. It's like nothing I've ever read before. I don't want to give away too much of the story so readers can let it develop on it's own. ( )
  debbie-1955 | May 7, 2016 |
Some books are so wonderful, the characters are so rich and deep, you never want them to end. You could read a thousand pages and it is still not enough. This is not that book.

When I started reading, I was entranced by the story of two ancient sorcerers who bind their protégés into a magical contest, and the field of battle is a wondrous, mysterious circus. And then I hit page 200-ish and thought “Where is this going?”

If I was in charge of editing this book, I would cut out 100-200 pages of excess descriptions and tighten up the plot. The descriptions of the circus are delightful, dream-like, ethereal… but even that gets old after a while when they do not contribute to moving the plot forward. The rules of the magical contest are vague, practically non-existent, as are the reasons for the two ancient sorcerers’ antagonism. What would motivate a man to bind his daughter into a fight to the death? I want to know.
  memccauley6 | May 3, 2016 |
Magic without passion is pretty much a trip to Pier One: lots of shrink-wrapped candles. One wishes Morgenstern had spent less time on the special effects and more on the hauntingly unanswerable question that runs, more or less ignored, through these pages: Can children love who were never loved, only used as intellectual machines? What kind of magic reverses that spell? It’s not as pretty a spectacle, but that’s a story that grips the heart.

I am a reader who should have hated this novel; yet I found it enchanting, and affecting, too, in spite of its sentimental ending. Morgenstern's patient, lucid construction of her circus – of its creators and performers and followers – makes for a world of illusion more real than that of many a realist fiction. There is a matter-of-factness about the magicians' magic, a consistency about the parameters of the circus world, that succeeds both in itself and as a comment upon the need for and nature of illusion in general. While the novel's occasional philosophical gestures seem glib ("You are no longer quite certain which side of the fence is the dream"), the book enacts its worldview more satisfyingly than could any summary or statement. Rather than forcing its readers to be prisoners in someone else's imagination, Morgenstern's imaginary circus invites readers to join in an exploration of the possible.

Underneath the icy polish of her prose, Morgenstern well understands what makes The Night Circus tick: that Marco and Celia, whether in competition or in love, are part of a wider world they must engage with but also transcend. It’s a world whose mystique and enigma is hard to shake off, and that invites multiple visits.

The Night Circus is one of those books. One of those rare, wonderful, transcendent books that, upon finishing, you want to immediately start again.

The book itself looks beautiful but creaky plotting and lifeless characters leave The Night Circus less than enchanting
added by ncgraham | editThe Observer, Olivia Laing (Sep 11, 2011)

Erin Morgensternprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dale, JimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fontana, JohnCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jakobeit, BrigitteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koay, Pei LoiDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Musselwhite, HelenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.
--Oscar Wilde, 1888
The circus arrives without warning.
Follow your dreams, Bailey, she says. Be they Harvard or something else entirely. No matter what that father of yours says, or how loudly he might say it. He forgets that he was someone's dream once himself.
Children are dragged away with promises that they may return the next evening, though the circus will not be there the next evening and later those children will feel slighted and betrayed.
You are no longer quite certain which side of the fence is the dream.
I do not like being left in the dark. I am not particularly fond of believing in impossible things.
You're not destined or chosen, I wish I could tell you that you were if that would make it easier, but it's not true. You're in the right place at the right time, and you care enough to do what needs to be done. Sometimes that's enough.

A circus known as Le Cirque des Reves features two illusionists, Celia and Marco, who are unknowingly competing in a game to which they have been irrevocably bound by their mercurial masters, and as the two fall deeply and passionately in love with each other, their masters intervene with dangerous consequences.
Magicians in love
Forced to duel at the circus
Put on a great show.
(yoyogod)
Where a boy bears lovers' dreams
with a seer of stars
and night goes on forever.
(blueviolent)
A light and airy
Feast for the senses. But wait,
Darkness lurks beneath.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307744434, Paperback)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, September 2011: Erin Morgenstern’s dark, enchanting debut takes us to the black and white tents of Le Cirque des Reves, a circus that arrives without warning, simply appearing when yesterday it was not there. Young Celia and Marco have been cast into a rivalry at The Night Circus, one arranged long ago by powers they do not fully understand. Over time, their lives become more intricately enmeshed in a dance of love, joy, deceit, heartbreak, and magic. Author Morgenstern knows her world inside and out, and she guides the reader with a confident hand. The setting and tone are never less than mesmerizing. The characters are well-realized and memorable. But it is the Night Circus itself that might be the most memorable of all. --Chris Schluep

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:51 -0400)

Waging a fierce competition for which they have trained since childhood, circus magicians Celia and Marco unexpectedly fall in love with each other and share a fantastical romance that manifests in fateful ways.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,860,208 books! | Top bar: Always visible