Arrr! Pirate Flag(Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day) Thar be a hunt for treasure, Mateys!

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

The Night Circus (edition 2012)

by Erin Morgenstern

11,3471008358 (4.07)1 / 979
Member:walkerspointlibrary
Title:The Night Circus
Authors:Erin Morgenstern
Info:Anchor Books (2012), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 516 pages

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (historycycles, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Magical rivalries are at the heart of these unconventional Fantasy novels, which play out over decades and against elaborate, atmospheric 19th-century backdrops. Their initially relaxed pacing gains momentum as the various narrative threads dramatically converge.… (more)
    Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (JGKC)
    The Prestige by Christopher Priest (shelfoflisa, 47degreesnorth)
    shelfoflisa: Another tale of duelling victorian magicians
    Water for Elephants: A Novel by Sara Gruen (Oryan685)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (Larkken)
    Larkken: Each detail a dreamlike world overlapping but hidden from the real world to most people.
    The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (LDVoorberg)
    LDVoorberg: Fantasy with enough reality to make it seem plausible
    The Magicians by Lev Grossman (Anonymous user)
    Little, Big by John Crowley (ktbarnes)
    ktbarnes: Both have magical realism, with a fairytale feel
    Od Magic by Patricia A. McKillip (amysisson)
    amysisson: Both are fantasy about magic and performance, with lovely writing.
    The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly (bluenotebookonline)
    The Merro Tree by Katie Waitman (amysisson)
    amysisson: Both are about the magic of performance, and have colorful performer characters, although one is science fiction and the other is fantasy.
    Touch by Alexi Zentner (JessiAdams)
    JessiAdams: Both books have a similiar combination of realism and fantasy with similiar imagery. Wish I could describe it better, but I can't. Both of these books just FEEL the same.
    Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin (TomWaitsTables)
    Mr. Vertigo by Paul Auster (tandah)
    Vassa in the Night by Sarah Porter (mzonderm)
    When the Moon Was Ours: A Novel by Anna-Marie McLemore (kgriffith)
    kgriffith: Magical realism, beautiful prose, setting as a character/catalyst
    Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Beautiful type of fairy tale
    The Gracekeepers: A Novel by Kirsty Logan (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: Everyone loves a fantastical circus.
    The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (Kata18)
    Kata18: Both books feel a little like a dream with a touch of magic that's not quite explained.
    Martin Dressler: The Tale of an American Dreamer by Steven Millhauser (d04rules)
    d04rules: Both fantastical books for dreamers

Circus (2)

English (1,004)  Dutch (4)  German (4)  Swedish (1)  Chinese (1)  Finnish (1)  Turkish (1)  Greek (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (1,018)
Just couldn't finish. I think the third person was just a little too distant for me. Intriguing characters and premise though.
  akbooks | Sep 12, 2019 |

I really enjoyed the storyline of this book; the author's imagination is certainly remarkable. Its a bit more "fantasy" than I typically like but I did enjoy the descriptions of the circus. Felt like I was right there! I would have liked the book to move along a little faster though. A good book club choice that I wouldn't have picked up otherwise. ( )
  LizBurkhart | Sep 5, 2019 |
Not a bad story, but very, very slow going. The sentences, while perfectly fine individually just didn't flow very well together. I really don't think this was helped by the present tense narration.

I very nearly put the book away unread when the opening pages were not only present tense, but second person too. I very recently had a very unenjoyable experience with this particular combination, and didn't wish to repeat it! But luckily it was only used for a page or two in between chapters, and I lightly skimmed over them, as they didn't really bring anything to the plot anyway that couldn't be grasped from the text itself.

Could have been magical, but in the end was only average really. ( )
  Sammystarbuck | Sep 2, 2019 |
A good piece of stage-magic in its own right: it's deft, thoroughly charming, and beautifully performed. But for me, it didn't go deep enough, didn't grab hold hard enough, didn't put enough into it. Oh, the wonder and tragedy both are moving and well-delivered, but I felt like they didn't make it to elevating and devastating, respectively. And I demanding like that.

Perhaps it's that this is done more in a literary bent (cover quotes from Tea Obreht and Audrey Niffenegger; light-touch short-literary style to the prose) than a fantastical one. I did like the choice of time periods - the placement away from major conflicts and their magic-slaying capabilities, the lingering Victorian mysticism - but I felt like it didn't really shine through as strongly as it could have. And while there were abundant descriptions of wonders and opulence, I never really felt that the language got wondrous or opulent itself, and I do like a bit of language-joy.

Nevertheless: deft, charming, beautiful. ( )
  cupiscent | Aug 3, 2019 |
The style and the writing are very delightful. All the stars are for that. In my opinion, story itself wasn't too engaging. Or maybe that's because I was expecting something on the lines of 'Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell'. Well, whatever the reasons my expectations were not met when it comes to the story part.

But as whole it's a beautiful book and must read. it's like those 'The Whole is Greater than the Sum of its Parts,' kind of book. It leaves one with a mist-like, comforting pleasantness. ( )
  ravipotter | Jul 23, 2019 |
I am a reader who should have hated this novel; yet I found it enchanting, and affecting, too, in spite of its sentimental ending. Morgenstern's patient, lucid construction of her circus – of its creators and performers and followers – makes for a world of illusion more real than that of many a realist fiction. There is a matter-of-factness about the magicians' magic, a consistency about the parameters of the circus world, that succeeds both in itself and as a comment upon the need for and nature of illusion in general. While the novel's occasional philosophical gestures seem glib ("You are no longer quite certain which side of the fence is the dream"), the book enacts its worldview more satisfyingly than could any summary or statement. Rather than forcing its readers to be prisoners in someone else's imagination, Morgenstern's imaginary circus invites readers to join in an exploration of the possible.

Underneath the icy polish of her prose, Morgenstern well understands what makes The Night Circus tick: that Marco and Celia, whether in competition or in love, are part of a wider world they must engage with but also transcend. It’s a world whose mystique and enigma is hard to shake off, and that invites multiple visits.

The Night Circus is one of those books. One of those rare, wonderful, transcendent books that, upon finishing, you want to immediately start again.

The book itself looks beautiful but creaky plotting and lifeless characters leave The Night Circus less than enchanting
added by ncgraham | editThe Observer, Olivia Laing (Sep 11, 2011)

Erin Morgensternprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dale, JimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fontana, JohnCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jakobeit, BrigitteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koay, Pei LoiDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Musselwhite, HelenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.
--Oscar Wilde, 1888
The circus arrives without warning.
Follow your dreams, Bailey, she says. Be they Harvard or something else entirely. No matter what that father of yours says, or how loudly he might say it. He forgets that he was someone's dream once himself.
Children are dragged away with promises that they may return the next evening, though the circus will not be there the next evening and later those children will feel slighted and betrayed.
You are no longer quite certain which side of the fence is the dream.
I do not like being left in the dark. I am not particularly fond of believing in impossible things.
You're not destined or chosen, I wish I could tell you that you were if that would make it easier, but it's not true. You're in the right place at the right time, and you care enough to do what needs to be done. Sometimes that's enough.

A circus known as Le Cirque des Reves features two illusionists, Celia and Marco, who are unknowingly competing in a game to which they have been irrevocably bound by their mercurial masters, and as the two fall deeply and passionately in love with each other, their masters intervene with dangerous consequences.
Magicians in love
Forced to duel at the circus
Put on a great show.
(yoyogod)
Where a boy bears lovers' dreams
with a seer of stars
and night goes on forever.
(blueviolent)
A light and airy
feast for the senses. But wait,
darkness lurks beneath.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307744434, Paperback)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, September 2011: Erin Morgenstern’s dark, enchanting debut takes us to the black and white tents of Le Cirque des Reves, a circus that arrives without warning, simply appearing when yesterday it was not there. Young Celia and Marco have been cast into a rivalry at The Night Circus, one arranged long ago by powers they do not fully understand. Over time, their lives become more intricately enmeshed in a dance of love, joy, deceit, heartbreak, and magic. Author Morgenstern knows her world inside and out, and she guides the reader with a confident hand. The setting and tone are never less than mesmerizing. The characters are well-realized and memorable. But it is the Night Circus itself that might be the most memorable of all. --Chris Schluep

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:51 -0400)

Waging a fierce competition for which they have trained since childhood, circus magicians Celia and Marco unexpectedly fall in love with each other and share a fantastical romance that manifests in fateful ways.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Erin Morgenstern's book The Night Circus was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,096,991 books! | Top bar: Always visible