Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking…

Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously

by Julie Powell

3.5 stars

Julie Powell is coming up on her 30th birthday and is a secretary. She decides she will embark on a one-year project - to cook all the recipes in Julia Child's cookbook, Mastering the Fine Art of French Cooking, and to blog about it.

I liked this. Not as much as the movie, but the movie also incorporated My Life in France by Julia Child, so it was a mix of the two (and I haven't read My Life in France yet, but I plan to). But I still quite enjoyed this. I am not a foodie, but this may even be more enjoyable for those who are, with all the descriptions of the food. Actually, I'm a picky eater and some of that food... well, eeew! But, it was fun to read about Julie's mishaps in the kitchen! I don't like to cook, and I have to say that this book just says it all! It's just way too much effort!!! But, fun to read about. I also enjoyed the relationships that Julie made with her "bleaders" (what she called her blog readers), and how those developed. ( )
  LibraryCin | May 16, 2019 |
while this book does have its funny moments and I loved the movie I found my attention wandering once I made it to the middle part of the book so I decided to DNF this book ( )
  ReadingwithLynn | Sep 25, 2018 |
Absolutely LOVED this book by fellow Texan Julie Powell. Very funny. And very, very different from the film. ( )
  scribe-214 | Sep 7, 2018 |
A schtick that worked. The Julia part is fascinating... ( )
  LadyVivace | Jul 13, 2018 |
I found the first 50-100 pages of this pretty hard going and not very interesting, and then surprised myself by getting hooked. So I'd say people should give this book a chance. I was fairly comfortable with the swearing and informal, personality-filled style of the author. I don't have a problem with that. Autobiographical work should reflect one's personality, and surely people need not conform to others' expectations. Fun, feisty, inspirational. ( )
  lydiasbooks | Jan 17, 2018 |
Although I don’t really believe that Julie Powell finds a Julia Child-like satisfaction in the art of cooking, her bloggy memoir offers the pleasures of witnessing a thoroughly grumpy, foul-mouthed New Yorker go through a laughable late-twenties identity crisis, discover the erotic allure of good food, and tell terrible gossip about all her best friends. More than her descriptions of (badly) attempting Julia Child’s recipes or even discovering a new career, Powell’s passages evoking the sensual delights of food connect Julie & Julia to the vivid memories in My Life in France.

For Julia, without whom I could not have done this, and for Eric, without whom I could not do at all
Thursday, October 6, 1949.
Paris. At seven o'clock on a dreary evening in the Left Bank, Julia began roasting pigeons for the second time in her life.
Lower Manhattan was not much better. There were wine stores and cheese counters and cute bistros, but since most of the fashionable people who live this far downtown prefer, like vampires, sustenance they can just grab and suck down on the run, a butcher was nowhere to be found.
I was raised in proximity to a self-cleaning stove, and have never been able to square my belief in myself as a person possessed of free will with the act of getting down on my knees to stick my head in a box befogged with carcinogenic fumes and scoop out handfuls of black goo.
The verdict on Foies Volailles en Aspic? Surprisingly undisgusting, but why eat chicken livers cold with jelly on top of them, when you could eat them hot without jelly?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 031610969X, Hardcover)

Julie & Julia is the story of Julie Powell's attempt to revitalize her marriage, restore her ambition, and save her soul by cooking all 524 recipes in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Volume I, in a period of 365 days. The result is a masterful medley of Bridget Jones' Diary meets Like Water for Chocolate, mixed with a healthy dose of original wit, warmth, and inspiration that sets this memoir apart from most tales of personal redemption.

When we first meet Julie, she's a frustrated temp-to-perm secretary who slaves away at a thankless job, only to return to an equally demoralizing apartment in the outer boroughs of Manhattan each evening. At the urging of Eric, her devoted and slightly geeky husband, she decides to start a blog that will chronicle what she dubs the "Julie/Julia Project." What follows is a year of butter-drenched meals that will both necessitate the wearing of an unbearably uncomfortable girdle on the hottest night of the year, as well as the realization that life is what you make of it and joy is not as impossible a quest as it may seem, even when it's -10 degrees out and your pipes are frozen.

Powell is a natural when it comes to connecting with her readers, which is probably why her blog generated so much buzz, both from readers and media alike. And while her self-deprecating sense of humor can sometimes dissolve into whininess, she never really loses her edge, or her sense of purpose. Even on day 365, she's working her way through Mayonnaise Collee and ending the evening "back exactly where we started--just Eric and me, three cats and Buffy...sitting on a couch in the outer boroughs, eating, with Julia chortling alongside us...."

Inspired and encouraging, Julie and Julia is a unique opportunity to join one woman's attempt to change her life, and have a laugh, or ten, along the way. --Gisele Toueg

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:13 -0400)

The author recounts how she escaped the doldrums of an unpromising career by mastering every recipe in Julia Child's 1961 classic, "Mastering the Art of French Cooking," a year-long endeavor that transformed her life.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,792,077 books! | Top bar: Always visible