Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking…

Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously

by Julie Powell

English (236)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All (1)  All (239)
One of those cases when the movie is WAY BETTER! ( )
  kemilyh1988 | Jan 16, 2017 |
A young woman decides to spend one year of her life cooking all the recipes in volume one of Mastering the Art of French Cooking, by Julia Child and others. She also decides to blog about it when blogging was somewhat new.

By all rights, I should have been head over heels in love with this book. I was not; although I did like it better towards the end than the beginning. I enjoyed the movie very much, but let me see if I can explain why this book didn't do it for me. It went beyond the foul language and raunchy (at times) voice of the author. I think it is because I am oh so tired of clever young women with potty mouths going on and on about themselves as if every decision they make is something the world wants to know about, and running down everyone around them. There is that, but I stuck with this story to see if the young woman grew up a bit in the story. I think she did. I have to wonder if she is actually as dysfunctional as she portrays herself, or is simply making use of a few episodes for the story. I can understand why Julia Child did not take her seriously. The way Powell writes about it, is seems that she doesn't bother to think or plan ahead when cooking, never cleans up after herself and doesn't give a hoot about how the food turns out as long as she has a gimlet to hand. I'm pretty sure that was mostly for comedic effect. That being said, even I would not want to eat in the house she describes, and my housekeeping standards are known for being very relaxed.

Here's why I stuck with it. She had the determination and talent to at least try every recipe. If you have ever read MtAoFC, you will understand what an accomplishment that is in and of itself. These are foods we just don't see anymore in this day and age of putting a meal on the table in 5 minutes. I have tried cooking through a cookbook, attempting every recipe. It is not a feat to be taken on lightly. While the author makes light of her skills and other attributes, I think the strength of character is there underneath. That is why I stuck with the book. ( )
  MrsLee | Dec 21, 2016 |
Let me start by saying that when a book involves cooking or recipes, it actually includes 2 of my top five favorite things.....cooking and collecting recipes. And since I have read several books with a cooking theme that I have thoroughly enjoyed, when this book hit the shelves I knew that it had to be on my reading list.
To be honest, I wasn't bowled over by this story. But, I have to also say that I think the idea of blogging your way through a cookbook is a marvelous one - one that I only wish I had the courage to try; so I have to give huge props to Julie Powell for starting the whole blog craze of doing that. I have read a lot of cooking blogs as well, and I feel that I would have actually enjoyed this story in it's original blog form more than the book. I ended up renting the movie a couple weeks later, and I really liked it. This shocked me actually, as I normally feel that most movie versions are a waste of time. While I don't feel that this book made my top 25, I didn't dislike it at all...it just wasn't one of my favorites.
But, for those people, like me, who enjoy all things cooking, I think this will still prove to be an enjoyable read. ( )
  kitchenwitch04 | Oct 24, 2016 |
I saw the movie first (usually a very bad idea) so I couldn't help but compare. I really liked both - but for entirely different reasons.

In the movie, I found the author to be a bit of a goody two-shoes. In the book, Julie Powell is a woman after my own heart - a little sarcastic, a little overweight, a little whiney, a little bit prone to bitchiness and temper if things don't go the way she hopes, a bit of a potty mouth. Julie needs a project - something to make up for the fact that she's in a dead end job, in a lousy apartment and in an okay marriage. So she comes up with the idea of cooking her way through Julia Child's 'Mastering the Art of French Cooking' and blogging about it. The book is about that year - honest, entertaining anecdotes about her marriage, her job, her friends, her cooking triumphs and failures.

In the movie, considerable attention was given to the lives of Julia Child and her husband - very little of that was included in the book (but for that you can read 'My Life in France')

Overall, I really liked this book. The idea of creating such an ambitious project - and actually staying with it and completing it - is enormously appealing to me. I would definitely recommend this one. ( )
  EvelynBernard | Jun 2, 2016 |
Julie and Julia –Julia Powell
3 stars

As I’m sure everyone is aware, this is one of the books that inspired the movie. Approaching thirty and frustrated with her job, Julia Powell challenges herself to cook every recipe in Julia Child’s Mastering the Art of French Cooking. She creates a blog to document the project. The book chronicles the year of the project with anecdotes about cooking and eating mixed in with stories about her job, her family, her friends and her marriage.
I tried to read this book some months ago, but had to return it to the library without finishing it. I finally bought a paperback edition so I could read it before seeing the movie. The book was mildly amusing, but I didn’t care for her flippant comments about families of 9/11 victims. I realize her sarcasm was directed toward the bureaucracy of the clean-up and memorial planning, but it was heavy handed and just not at all funny. Overall, I thought Julia Powell’s project was a fun idea. It made me feel less guilty about time spent with book challenges. I may not be burning many calories, but at least I’m not consuming them.

msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
Although I don’t really believe that Julie Powell finds a Julia Child-like satisfaction in the art of cooking, her bloggy memoir offers the pleasures of witnessing a thoroughly grumpy, foul-mouthed New Yorker go through a laughable late-twenties identity crisis, discover the erotic allure of good food, and tell terrible gossip about all her best friends. More than her descriptions of (badly) attempting Julia Child’s recipes or even discovering a new career, Powell’s passages evoking the sensual delights of food connect Julie & Julia to the vivid memories in My Life in France.

For Julia, without whom I could not have done this, and for Eric, without whom I could not do at all
Thursday, October 6, 1949.
Paris. At seven o'clock on a dreary evening in the Left Bank, Julia began roasting pigeons for the second time in her life.
Lower Manhattan was not much better. There were wine stores and cheese counters and cute bistros, but since most of the fashionable people who live this far downtown prefer, like vampires, sustenance they can just grab and suck down on the run, a butcher was nowhere to be found.
I was raised in proximity to a self-cleaning stove, and have never been able to square my belief in myself as a person possessed of free will with the act of getting down on my knees to stick my head in a box befogged with carcinogenic fumes and scoop out handfuls of black goo.
The verdict on Foies Volailles en Aspic? Surprisingly undisgusting, but why eat chicken livers cold with jelly on top of them, when you could eat them hot without jelly?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 031610969X, Hardcover)

Julie & Julia is the story of Julie Powell's attempt to revitalize her marriage, restore her ambition, and save her soul by cooking all 524 recipes in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Volume I, in a period of 365 days. The result is a masterful medley of Bridget Jones' Diary meets Like Water for Chocolate, mixed with a healthy dose of original wit, warmth, and inspiration that sets this memoir apart from most tales of personal redemption.

When we first meet Julie, she's a frustrated temp-to-perm secretary who slaves away at a thankless job, only to return to an equally demoralizing apartment in the outer boroughs of Manhattan each evening. At the urging of Eric, her devoted and slightly geeky husband, she decides to start a blog that will chronicle what she dubs the "Julie/Julia Project." What follows is a year of butter-drenched meals that will both necessitate the wearing of an unbearably uncomfortable girdle on the hottest night of the year, as well as the realization that life is what you make of it and joy is not as impossible a quest as it may seem, even when it's -10 degrees out and your pipes are frozen.

Powell is a natural when it comes to connecting with her readers, which is probably why her blog generated so much buzz, both from readers and media alike. And while her self-deprecating sense of humor can sometimes dissolve into whininess, she never really loses her edge, or her sense of purpose. Even on day 365, she's working her way through Mayonnaise Collee and ending the evening "back exactly where we started--just Eric and me, three cats and Buffy...sitting on a couch in the outer boroughs, eating, with Julia chortling alongside us...."

Inspired and encouraging, Julie and Julia is a unique opportunity to join one woman's attempt to change her life, and have a laugh, or ten, along the way. --Gisele Toueg

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:13 -0400)

The author recounts how she escaped the doldrums of an unpromising career by mastering every recipe in Julia Child's 1961 classic, "Mastering the Art of French Cooking," a year-long endeavor that transformed her life.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,294,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible