Julie & Julia365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny…

Julie & Julia365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen (edition 2005)

by Julie Powell

Member:tamarajp
Title:Julie & Julia365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen
Authors:Julie Powell
Info:Bullfinch Press (2005), Paperback, 309 pages
Tags:Library book, memoir, food, cooking

Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen by Julie Powell

I know many people read this book and did not enjoy it, but I rather liked it. The concept behind the book was interesting and although I do not usually like movies based on books I have read I will be renting this one on the strength of Merryl Streep. ( )
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
I've had plenty of cooking misadventures. And its those times when I messed something up entirely that I remember and keep in my memories.

I really like to cook. However, I don't cook nearly as much as I ought to. So I did the next best thing: read about cooking! After hearing from my friend that this book was about a woman who made it a goal to cook all 524 or so recipes from Julia Child's 'Master the Art of French Cooking,' I thought, 'Why not?'

[a:Julie Powell|8546|Julie Powell|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1232257305p2/8546.jpg] is quite entertaining at times. I found myself laughing out loud at certain points; I only wish I had been reading those parts while out in public. And she does manage to keep the story interesting even when out of the kitchen. Unfortunately, I can't say I learned all the much about cooking, other than how to kill a lobster humanely without boiling it alive, or what to ask the butcher if I want to buy a bone and de-marrow it later on. And of course, there was the constant whining. With every failure, there was the whining. I do appreciate the fact that she included these grief stricken situations in her year of cooking, but still...? Nonetheless, I suppose it's good to be honest as a writer.

Her story didn't exactly enthrall me to the full extent, but I did wholeheartedly enjoy it. I'd recommend it for those times when you're traveling...and hungry. By the time you get to your destination, you'll want to eat! ( )
  jms001 | Jun 14, 2015 |
I liked this book about challenges both culinary and personal. I especially liked the stories about buying and cooking lobsters and how Julie learned that things didn't need to be perfect. ( )
  krin5292 | May 1, 2015 |
Love the movie... Love the blog... Not a fan of the book. I love Powell's idea and her voice but a great memoir comes from universal concepts that the reader can relate to, in my opinion. I could not find that in this book. Maybe without the hype I would not feel so disappointed. ( )
  KRaySaulis | Aug 13, 2014 |
Very light reading but somehow I lost interest. I expected more about Julia Child when this story really centers around Julie, her husband, her friends and her cooking project. ( )
  FAR2MANYBOOKS | Apr 5, 2014 |
Although I don’t really believe that Julie Powell finds a Julia Child-like satisfaction in the art of cooking, her bloggy memoir offers the pleasures of witnessing a thoroughly grumpy, foul-mouthed New Yorker go through a laughable late-twenties identity crisis, discover the erotic allure of good food, and tell terrible gossip about all her best friends. More than her descriptions of (badly) attempting Julia Child’s recipes or even discovering a new career, Powell’s passages evoking the sensual delights of food connect Julie & Julia to the vivid memories in My Life in France.

For Julia, without whom I could not have done this, and for Eric, without whom I could not do at all
Thursday, October 6, 1949.
Paris. At seven o'clock on a dreary evening in the Left Bank, Julia began roasting pigeons for the second time in her life.
Lower Manhattan was not much better. There were wine stores and cheese counters and cute bistros, but since most of the fashionable people who live this far downtown prefer, like vampires, sustenance they can just grab and suck down on the run, a butcher was nowhere to be found.
I was raised in proximity to a self-cleaning stove, and have never been able to square my belief in myself as a person possessed of free will with the act of getting down on my knees to stick my head in a box befogged with carcinogenic fumes and scoop out handfuls of black goo.
The verdict on Foies Volailles en Aspic? Surprisingly undisgusting, but why eat chicken livers cold with jelly on top of them, when you could eat them hot without jelly?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 031610969X, Hardcover)

Julie & Julia is the story of Julie Powell's attempt to revitalize her marriage, restore her ambition, and save her soul by cooking all 524 recipes in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Volume I, in a period of 365 days. The result is a masterful medley of Bridget Jones' Diary meets Like Water for Chocolate, mixed with a healthy dose of original wit, warmth, and inspiration that sets this memoir apart from most tales of personal redemption.

When we first meet Julie, she's a frustrated temp-to-perm secretary who slaves away at a thankless job, only to return to an equally demoralizing apartment in the outer boroughs of Manhattan each evening. At the urging of Eric, her devoted and slightly geeky husband, she decides to start a blog that will chronicle what she dubs the "Julie/Julia Project." What follows is a year of butter-drenched meals that will both necessitate the wearing of an unbearably uncomfortable girdle on the hottest night of the year, as well as the realization that life is what you make of it and joy is not as impossible a quest as it may seem, even when it's -10 degrees out and your pipes are frozen.

Powell is a natural when it comes to connecting with her readers, which is probably why her blog generated so much buzz, both from readers and media alike. And while her self-deprecating sense of humor can sometimes dissolve into whininess, she never really loses her edge, or her sense of purpose. Even on day 365, she's working her way through Mayonnaise Collee and ending the evening "back exactly where we started--just Eric and me, three cats and Buffy...sitting on a couch in the outer boroughs, eating, with Julia chortling alongside us...."

Inspired and encouraging, Julie and Julia is a unique opportunity to join one woman's attempt to change her life, and have a laugh, or ten, along the way. --Gisele Toueg

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:13 -0400)

The author recounts how she escaped the doldrums of an unpromising career by mastering every recipe in Julia Child's 1961 classic, "Mastering the Art of French Cooking," a year-long endeavor that transformed her life.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,482,519 books! | Top bar: Always visible