The Colorado Kid by Stephen King

The Colorado Kid (edition 2005)

by Stephen King

Info:Hard Case Crime (2005), Mass Market Paperback, 184 pages
Rating:*1/2
Tags:Hard Case Crime

The Colorado Kid by Stephen King

Pittsburgh Noir by Kathleen George (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Local color is almost another character and adds depth to both titles.
    Grave Descend (Hard Case Crime) by John Lange (Scottneumann)
    Hardcase by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    Baby Moll by John Farris (Scottneumann)
    Go with Me by Castle Freeman (wvlibrarydude)
    wvlibrarydude: The old men sitting around telling stories compared very well in method of telling story. If you liked this aspect of either book, then check out the other one.

English (106)  Italian (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (109)
Too slow for me but when it was good, it was good. I know that the whole point of the book is that not everything has a tidy ending and that we’ll always strive for one regardless, but man I felt disappointed by the end of the book. ( )
  captainmander | Jul 19, 2018 |
A fantastic hardboiled noir book from start to finish. Although the ending may leave some perplexed, this is a book that sticks with you. It's a fast read (Only took me an hour and a half) and one well-worth the time. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Lo sapevo dai tempi di It e infatti avevo smesso di leggerlo allora. Nel 2006 feci fuori From A Buick 8 perché non era rimasto altro con cui passare il tempo durante una vacanza noiosa e ne ebbi l'impressione di un King che scrivesse parodiando i parodisti di King.
Questo raccontino gonfiato non fa che rafforzare la mia convinzione. L'unico aspetto consolatorio è che grazie a Book Depository l'ho pagato solo quattro Euro. ( )
  plivo | Apr 21, 2018 |
I read (listened to) this book because my book club is going to be gathering for their 100th time soon, and we'll all be discussing our all-time favorite mysteries. Since I'm new to the mystery genre, I wanted to try to a) sneak in another mystery quickly before we meet, and b) add a Stephen King one to my repertoire, if possible. (Did you know that most of his novels are considered either Horror or Suspense? I guess I used to consider Suspense the same as Mystery, but apparently they're not the same. Anyway.......)
I enjoyed this book, largely because of the fellow who did the reading--he did his Mainer voices really well, and there were only three characters, so it was easy to keep them separate. And the story was beautifully written, as I've come to believe that few authors other than King can do. My attention was snagged in the beginning and held firm 'til the end.
However, I'm only giving this an "I really liked it" rating, rather than "it was amazing", because as a mystery, it didn't have me absolutely on the edge of my seat, dying to know the answer.... plus, well, I don't want to spoil it, but it didn't end the way I'd hoped.....
That being said, I'd still recommend it if you enjoy King's work and/or if you're into mysteries. ( )
  trayceetee | Apr 9, 2018 |
In a postscript to the book, King acknowledges that some readers will
love it and some will hate it. The book is, of course, a mystery, but the charm of this book is not that it's another action packed adventure because it isn't. The wonderful thing about the book is that it really effectively takes the reader into this small town on the coast. You get a real feel for the two old codger reporters who sit on the balcony with Intern Stephanie and
tell her she's passed the test and she's welcome into the fraternal order of reporters. They tell her about a mystery that hasn't been solved in twenty years about a body found on the beach by two high school students and how it's eventually identified. The book, despite the body, has no sex or violence. As other reviewers have kindly noted, it moves at a slow pace like the waves on the beach
of this small coastal town. But the slowness of how the tale is teased
out appears to be deliberate as if King wants you to internalize the
rhythms of life there. Once I realized that the book was about the conversation between the two old reporters and the young intern, I could enjoy it immensely. I
did ultimately want more explanations, but that did not detract from the book. ( )
  DaveWilde | Sep 22, 2017 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
DeMunn, JeffreyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Orbik, GlenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
With admiration, for Dan J. Marlowe, author of The Name of the Game is Death: Hardest of the hardboiled.
After deciding he would get nothing of interest from the two old men who comprised the entire staff of The Weekly Islander, the feature writer from the Boston Globe took a look at his watch, remarked that he could just make the one-thirty ferry back to the mainland if he hurried, thanked them for their time, dropped some money on the tablecloth, weighted it down with the salt shaker so the stiffish onshore breeze wouldn't blow it away, and hurried down the stone steps from The Grey Gull's patio dining area toward Bay Street and the little town below.

The third-person narrative concerns the investigation of the body of an unidentified man found on a tiny island off the coast of Maine. Lacking any identification or obvious clues, the case reaches nothing but repeated dead-ends. Well over a year later the man is identified, but all further important questions remain unanswered. The two-man staff of the island newspaper maintain a longstanding fascination with the case, and twenty-five years later use the mysterious tale to ply the friendship and test the investigative mettle of a postgrad intern rookie reporter.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0843955848, Mass Market Paperback)

On an island off the coast of Maine, a man is found dead. There's no identification on the body. Only the dogged work of a pair of local newspapermen and a graduate student in forensics turns up any clues.

But that's just the beginning of the mystery. Because the more they learn about the man and the baffling circumstances of his death, the less they understand. Was it an impossible crime? Or something stranger still...?

No one but Stephen King could tell this story about the darkness at the heart of the unknown and our compulsion to investigate the unexplained. With echoes of Dashiell Hammett's The Maltese Falcon and the work of Graham Greene, one of the world's great storytellers presents a surprising tale that explores the nature of mystery itself...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:51 -0400)

On an island off the coast of Maine, a man is found dead. There's no identification on the body. Only the dogged work of a pair of local newspapermen and a graduate student in forensics turns up any clues, and it's more than a year before the man is identified.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,836,988 books! | Top bar: Always visible