The Colorado Kid by Stephen King

The Colorado Kid (edition 2005)

by Stephen King

2,108853,119 (3.17)1 / 55
Member:Tara714
Title:The Colorado Kid
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Dorchester Publishing (2005), Edition: First Edition, Paperback
Rating:***

The Colorado Kid by Stephen King

Recently added byjimreads, donaldmcobb, private library, MaraBlaise, Matifli, mcornyn, cls1000
    Pittsburgh Noir by Kathleen George (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Local color is almost another character and adds depth to both titles.
    Grave descend by John Lange (Scottneumann)
    Hardcase by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    Baby Moll by John Farris (Scottneumann)
    Go with Me by Castle Freeman (wvlibrarydude)
    wvlibrarydude: The old men sitting around telling stories compared very well in method of telling story. If you liked this aspect of either book, then check out the other one.

English (82)  Italian (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (85)
okaaay...I want more
This had everything I've come to expect from King but the ending. I want more but love the way King decided to take a new twist for a book. What do you think happened? I think the tie in is related to the gunslinger series what about you? ( )
  gopfolk | Dec 2, 2014 |
I read this book because of its connection to the show "Haven", and while the connection is tenuous at best, I still thought the mystery was interesting. I can see why Stephen King fans (or even mystery fans) might not have liked this book much, but since I am neither of those, I had very little expectation going in. I like Vince and Dave (not brothers here), and I liked the way the worked with their "student". I'm glad I took the time to read this one. ( )
  ladypembroke | Nov 22, 2014 |
2014-10-20: So Haven was actually Moose-Lookit. Changing the name was a good idea. The only things they seemed to have taken from this though was the dead guy and the newspaper guys.

What's with the cover? Fitting for the genre but not a damn thing to do with the story.

I enjoyed this quite a bit. I've always thought King could write nonsense and make it interesting. This isn't nonsense, it's a mystery without the nice neat ending. It would be nice to know how the guy ended up on the beach but even without that it was an interesting read, and very well done. ( )
  Awfki | Nov 14, 2014 |
The Good: Written by Stephen King, so you do get a enthralling story. The basis of the TV show Haven, so you do get to see where that world originated.

The Bad: Yeah, I read this because I love Stephen King and I love the show Haven. Two major problems. This show is very, very, very loosely based on this book. Like almost nothing is the same. Second, there is no ending. I don't consider this a spoiler, because there is absolutely nothing to spoil. This is a mystery that does not have a resolution. You get the whole background of the Colorado Kid case, yet you get absolutely no clue whatsoever how or why he died. No idea as to killer. No satisfaction at all. ( )
  TequilaReader | Jul 14, 2014 |
This is a typical Stephen King story. Set in Bangor, Maine (which, if I'm to believe all of his books, is the weirdest place in the country). Instead of having a professional writer for the main character, two of the main characters are journalists--a little twist, you see.

I wouldn't say this book is anything sensational. But it was alright. If you like King, you'd probably like this. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Orbik, GlenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
With admiration, for Dan J. Marlowe, author of The Name of the Game is Death: Hardest of the hardboiled.
After deciding he would get nothing of interest from the two old men who comprised the entire staff of The Weekly Islander, the feature writer from the Boston Globe took a look at his watch, remarked that he could just make the one-thirty ferry back to the mainland if he hurried, thanked them for their time, dropped some money on the tablecloth, weighted it down with the salt shaker so the stiffish onshore breeze wouldn't blow it away, and hurried down the stone steps from The Grey Gull's patio dining area toward Bay Street and the little town below.

The third-person narrative concerns the investigation of the body of an unidentified man found on a tiny island off the coast of Maine. Lacking any identification or obvious clues, the case reaches nothing but repeated dead-ends. Well over a year later the man is identified, but all further important questions remain unanswered. The two-man staff of the island newspaper maintain a longstanding fascination with the case, and twenty-five years later use the mysterious tale to ply the friendship and test the investigative mettle of a postgrad intern rookie reporter.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0843955848, Mass Market Paperback)

On an island off the coast of Maine, a man is found dead. There's no identification on the body. Only the dogged work of a pair of local newspapermen and a graduate student in forensics turns up any clues.

But that's just the beginning of the mystery. Because the more they learn about the man and the baffling circumstances of his death, the less they understand. Was it an impossible crime? Or something stranger still...?

No one but Stephen King could tell this story about the darkness at the heart of the unknown and our compulsion to investigate the unexplained. With echoes of Dashiell Hammett's The Maltese Falcon and the work of Graham Greene, one of the world's great storytellers presents a surprising tale that explores the nature of mystery itself...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:46 -0400)

On an island off the coast of Maine, a man is found dead. There's no identification on the body. Only the dogged work of a pair of local newspapermen and a graduate student in forensics turns up any clues, and it's more than a year before the man is identified.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,484,910 books! | Top bar: Always visible