The Colorado Kid by Stephen King

The Colorado Kid (edition 2005)

by Stephen King

2,284962,793 (3.19)1 / 59
Member:Tara714
Title:The Colorado Kid
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Dorchester Publishing (2005), Edition: First Edition, Paperback
Rating:***

The Colorado Kid by Stephen King

Pittsburgh Noir by Kathleen George (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Local color is almost another character and adds depth to both titles.
    Grave descend by John Lange (Scottneumann)
    Hardcase by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    Baby Moll by John Farris (Scottneumann)
    Go with Me by Castle Freeman (wvlibrarydude)
    wvlibrarydude: The old men sitting around telling stories compared very well in method of telling story. If you liked this aspect of either book, then check out the other one.

English (93)  Italian (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (96)
I was quite excited to read this one. I remember years ago when this one was released. Hard Case Crime was coming to Dorchester, reviving some of the older dime and penny novels of the older day. Apparently a fan, King wanted to write a story for the new line. The Colorado Kid is his offering.

Really it turns out to be disappointing, though - I dislike when King tells a story completely through dialogue. He did so here, absolutely through speech and conversation. No internal monologue, no descriptive phrases through events, nothing other than talk, talk, talk. This helps take me out of the story, distancing me from it.

Plot wise it doesn't seem indicative of an actual novel. It's a group of men telling a female co-worker a story that was never solved, a mystery without an ending. Through research and tales they speak of everything that happened to them a long time ago when they were investigating. There is no real beginning or ending to this tale. It's nice to have a resolution or some kind of ending to a mystery. Instead the book is a study of "not knowing" and that investigation urge that keeps someone exploring, hunting, craving resolution as they study mysteries.

I do like the irony that he started the Hard Crime imprint by writing a book that talks about the importance of a story itself, whether it has a concrete ending or not. That it's not really about the ending, or the beginning, but the story itself which holds the power.

It's also the book after King wrapped up his massive, mega, epic Darktower series. Perhaps the powerful story leading up to an ending, reaching the Dark Tower, spurred on his thinking of writing a book without an ending for this one, making it a point that the journey is what counts.

Certainly not King's best offering, but it's not horrible. There were things that irked me and my mind roamed more times than I'd like. I had no idea this was the inspiration for the tv show, Haven, until reading reviews on it. Honestly haven't even heard of the show "Haven"!

If you do read it, do read the afterword, it makes many important points which add much flavor to the book.

ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
I earread this book because it's mentioned as the inspiration for the television show, "Haven." And while there are a few things in common (the setting, the reporter brothers) that's where the similarities end. It's interesting to see how one could take this simple but strange mystery and build a supernatural story around it that takes place generations later.

I didn't particularly love the mystery--the tale of a man who is found dead on a beach and couldn't have been there. But I did like the newsmen's take on it and on mysteries in general. Sometimes there are explainable factors. Other times, human instinct and feeling are just as important to getting to the bottom of things as facts. Heart is important. So is culture. And Stephen King does an excellent job of describing these characters and making me fall in love with their little town.

I did find the storytelling itself a little tough; there's too much personality in the storytellers that kept distracting me from the mystery. And their intern is an awesome character as well. I wanted more from them and less of the actual mystery. Definitely not my favorite of Stephen King's, but still a good read. I liked it, even if I didn't love it. ( )
  katekintail | May 22, 2016 |
The mystery has a solution! The cigarette smoker was an assassin! Seriously, folks, when a novelist leaves you WTF'ed at the end, the reader should consider two options: 1) the author has taken the old imitative fallacy route -- i.e., see, life has no meaning and therefore my book has no meaning -- which is lazy and bullshit or 2) the answer is in the book and you need to re-read it to find the solution. Many if not most of Vladimir Nabokov's novels are structured along these lines. So is Infinite Jest. Anyway, this story is better than many people give it credit for -- even those who say that they liked the story. ( )
  evamat72 | Mar 31, 2016 |
Campbell Scott
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |
This book is often considered one of King's biggest flops. Very few people seem to even know about the existence of the book. I expected to dislike it, but I actually found myself very close to being able to use the word 'love' when talking about this book. It's a different writing style and genre from his usual writing, but it's still great. ( )
  imagine15 | Mar 15, 2016 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Orbik, GlenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
With admiration, for Dan J. Marlowe, author of The Name of the Game is Death: Hardest of the hardboiled.
After deciding he would get nothing of interest from the two old men who comprised the entire staff of The Weekly Islander, the feature writer from the Boston Globe took a look at his watch, remarked that he could just make the one-thirty ferry back to the mainland if he hurried, thanked them for their time, dropped some money on the tablecloth, weighted it down with the salt shaker so the stiffish onshore breeze wouldn't blow it away, and hurried down the stone steps from The Grey Gull's patio dining area toward Bay Street and the little town below.

The third-person narrative concerns the investigation of the body of an unidentified man found on a tiny island off the coast of Maine. Lacking any identification or obvious clues, the case reaches nothing but repeated dead-ends. Well over a year later the man is identified, but all further important questions remain unanswered. The two-man staff of the island newspaper maintain a longstanding fascination with the case, and twenty-five years later use the mysterious tale to ply the friendship and test the investigative mettle of a postgrad intern rookie reporter.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0843955848, Mass Market Paperback)

On an island off the coast of Maine, a man is found dead. There's no identification on the body. Only the dogged work of a pair of local newspapermen and a graduate student in forensics turns up any clues.

But that's just the beginning of the mystery. Because the more they learn about the man and the baffling circumstances of his death, the less they understand. Was it an impossible crime? Or something stranger still...?

No one but Stephen King could tell this story about the darkness at the heart of the unknown and our compulsion to investigate the unexplained. With echoes of Dashiell Hammett's The Maltese Falcon and the work of Graham Greene, one of the world's great storytellers presents a surprising tale that explores the nature of mystery itself...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:51 -0400)

On an island off the coast of Maine, a man is found dead. There's no identification on the body. Only the dogged work of a pair of local newspapermen and a graduate student in forensics turns up any clues, and it's more than a year before the man is identified.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,484,971 books! | Top bar: Always visible