The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry: A…

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry: A Novel (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Rachel Joyce

2,6162862,288 (3.97)1 / 383
Member:johnmackfreeman
Title:The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry: A Novel
Authors:Rachel Joyce
Info:Random House (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:2012, lit

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce (2012)

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson (tangledthread)
    tangledthread: The story and the writing style are very similar.
    The Tower, The Zoo, and The Tortoise by Julia Stuart (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Both uniquely British reflections on a unique life lived.
    The Woman Who Went to Bed For a Year by Sue Townsend (divinenanny)
    divinenanny: Another person who decides something needs to change in life and amasses a great big following without him/her wanting to.
    The Pull of the Moon by Elizabeth Berg (someproseandcons)
    someproseandcons: From the book's description: Uncomfortable with the fit of her life, now that she's in the middle of it, Nan gets into her car and just goes--driving across the country on back roads, following the moon; and stopping to talk to people.
    Instructions for a Heatwave by Maggie O'Farrell (Ciruelo)
    Ciruelo: An unassuming and quiet man in retirement suddenly leaves his home. Long held secrets are slowed revealed.
    The Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessy by Rachel Joyce (akblanchard)
    A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman (Electablue, mmedeiros)
    The End of the Alphabet by C. S. Richardson (SylviaC)
    Everyman's Rules for Scientific Living by Carrie Tiffany (tcarter)
    Hector and the Search for Happiness by François Lelord (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Both interesting journeys about a search for meaning in life.
    The Irresistible Inheritance of Wilberforce: A Novel in Four Vintages by Paul Torday (tcarter)
    Salmon Fishing in the Yemen by Paul Torday (tcarter)
    The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Brimming with quirky Britishness, these novels take on the transformative powers of doing something different. While the more humorous, satirical Uncommon Reader imagines the Queen as an increasingly sophisticated reader, the more reflective Unlikely Pilgrimage is moving and poignant.… (more)
    The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving by Jonathan Evison (ReluctantTechie)
    ReluctantTechie: Both books deal with long-term issues of grief and the protagonists both come to closure following a journey. The situations presented are unusual but the human emotions ring true.
    The Memory of Running by Ron McLarty (julienne_preacher, MurphyWaggoner)
    MurphyWaggoner: Both are quests of men seeking to break through a self-imposed shell of isolation to find healing and do so by setting out on a trek across country.

English (280)  Spanish (5)  German (4)  Dutch (4)  Swedish (1)  All languages (294)
This book has been on my to read list for a long time and I finally got to it. This book is a wonderful portrayal of life, hope, learning to live with past mistakes and it's also a wonderful place to meet truly great characters. Harold Fry is a 60 year old man living in retirement in Devon, UK with his wife Maureen. He has led a very small life just trying to earn enough money to support his wife and son David. He had worked for many years at a local brewery. Then 20 years before this book was set, a terrible personal event occurred which changed his life and his marriage forever. One morning he receives a letter from an old colleague that he used to work with. Queenie Hennessey has written to him after 20 years to tell him that she is dying of cancer. This profoundly affects Harold and he sets out to post a letter to Queenie and ends up deciding to walk all the way to Berwick where she is at a hospice. Through telephone calls to the hospice and to through letters and postcards, Harold tells Queenie to wait and not to die because he is walking to her. The trip is more than 600 miles! While he walks he goes over his whole life and faces his demons. He picks up a bunch of people on the way that want to do the pilgrimage with him. It's a motley crew that follows with him. Back at home his wife Maureen faces a number of demons on her own, and she comes to an awareness while her husband is on his unlikely pilgrimage. This is a heartwarming and profound book that even caused me to do some reevaluation of my own. As Harold says to himself, everyone looks normal on the outside, but you never know what is going on inside and what has happened to them in the past to shape them into the people they are now. This was a Globe and Mail best book selection, and I understand why. I highly recommend this book. ( )
  Romonko | Jul 29, 2015 |
“The world was made up of people putting one foot in front of the other; and a life might appear ordinary simply because the person living it had been doing so for a long time.”

The blurb on the back of this book says "One of the best books you'll read this year." Well if there is a better one than I'm in for a treat. This was such a pleasure to read and share in Harold's adventure into self-discovery.

On the face it is such an simple plot line. Harold Fry,recently retired and married to Maureen in name only, receives a letter out of the blue from an old work colleague,Queenie Hennessy. In it she thanks him for the friendship he showed her when they worked together and informing that she in in a hospice in Berwick-on-Tweed dying of cancer.Harold goes out to post a letter back in reply and decides instead to walk from his home in South Devon to see her in person.

Along the way Harold meets all sorts of different people who in their own way are living ordinary lives.Alone Harold begins to re-evaluate his own past digging up long lost memories of his time with Maureen and his son David. It soon becomes apparent that Harold has lived a pretty insular life stemming from a neglected childhood. However, it is not until towards the very end of the book that we are told why he is so determined to succeed in this particular endeavour, especially as we already know that its not out of a great love for Queenie, and I must admit the revelation when it arrived took me totally by surprise.

I feel I must admit at this point that I am a walker or ambler myself often going out on my own so I feel a certain sympathy for Harold. Like him walking allows me at times to take a step back and see events in my own life in a different light. However, you don't need to be a walker to enjoy this book. The prose is both simple and beautiful, you find yourself willing Harold as he makes discoveries about himself and the world around him. Many of the observations of human frailties are so poignant that at times I cried and others laughed out loud.

I have read a few reviews bemoaning the fact that nothing really happens but I feel that they are missing the point. This book is not really about the extraordinary but the ordinary things in life and should go on to everyone's reading list. It's a real treat. ( )
1 vote PilgrimJess | Jul 26, 2015 |
Review in 25 words or less: Harold takes a long walk, his wife doesn't, and they both learn about their failings, and about marriage, love, and grief.

Harold Fry, a resident of South Devon, is a recent retiree, married, and the father of a grown man. He has received a letter from an old work colleague, Queenie, who is dying of cancer in a hospice in the north of England. Harold decides to write her a letter, then to go out and post it, and then he makes the portentous decision to walk to Berwick-upon-Tweed, which he thinks will give Queenie hope, and quite possibly stop the cancer in its tracks.

Harold is not prepared for the journey. He lacks the proper equipment, the right shoes, the level of fitness required. In many ways, too, he is not equipped for the journey on an emotional level. Although in some ways he is invigorated mentally by having time to think and be alone, he discovers that there are things that he is thinking about that he'd much rather not. Circumstances and people on his way northward detract from his peace, his isolation, his plans. The journey takes on a life of its own, separate from Harold.

This is a great story of a marriage, a man and a woman, of friendship, faith, belief, in the great things and in the small. It is a romance, a brief return to youth, and an acceptance of old age. It made me cry, but in a good, cathartic way. I felt sometimes that the author was tugging a little too hard on the heartstrings, where subtlety would have done better, but on the whole, I enjoyed the book, and put it down only to sleep. The novel's biggest strength, I think, is that it made me think about what I've done with my life, and about what I need to change; a book that can invite that sort of self-reflection has done its job well.

I recommend this book highly. ( )
  ahef1963 | Jul 10, 2015 |
Recently retired Harold Fry receives a letter from Queenie Hennessy, an old friend he hasn't heard from in twenty years. She has written from a hospice and is very ill. Harold walks to the corner mailbox to post his reply but just keeps walking, believing he must deliver the letter to Queenie by hand so she will not die. He has 600 miles to cover - in boat shoes and without any appropriate gear. During his pilgrimage he will meet many people and reflect upon his life. A beautiful story, very well told. ( )
  boppisces | Jul 4, 2015 |
Mostly an interior dialogue, so unworthy of sharing.
  cherilove | May 25, 2015 |
Ultimately, the success of Joyce's writing depends less on the credibility (or otherwise) of what actually happens, so much as her unerring ability to convey profound emotions in simple, unaffected language. Here, for example, is Harold contemplating the gulf that opened up between himself and his wife following the birth of their son: "It both deepened his love for her and lifted her apart, so that just at the moment when he thought their marriage would intensify, it seemed to lose its way, or at least set them in different places."

And, appropriately for a novel inspired by loss, it contains a brilliant summation of grief – not expressed by Harold, but by his neighbour Rex (Bunyan called him Plausible), who is gradually coming to terms with the death of his wife: "I miss her all the time. I know in my head that she has gone. the only difference is that I am getting used to the pain. It's like discovering a great hole in the ground. To begin with, you forget it's there and keep falling in. After a while, it's still there, but you learn to walk round it."

Joyce's novel is prone to sentimentality, while the overpoweringly good intentions of its hero can seem a little pious. But there's no doubt that it's an original, quietly courageous testament to the inhuman effort of being normal.

Very rarely, you come upon a novel that feels less like a book than a poignant passage of your own life, and the protagonist like an acquaintance who has gently corrected your path. Never mind that the protagonist possesses all the realism of a painted clown and his tale the moral fibre of a fable.

Rachel Joyce’s The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry starts off in just this way. A rumpled retiree determines to walk 500 miles, believing his hope-filled steps will keep his dying friend alive. The premise seems quaint and predictable, but morphs gracefully into a smart, subtle, funny, painful, weirdly personal novel.

The unlikely but lovable hero of Rachel Joyce's remarkable debut novel, The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry, doesn't call his walk a pilgrimage. He never even calls it a hike, which would suggest planning, a map and hiking boots, all of which Harold lacks....Pilgrimage, one of the 12 novels just long-listed for the Man Booker Prize, Britain's top literary award, is a gentle adventure with an emotional wallop. It's a smart, feel-good story that doesn't feel forced.

“The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry” is not just a book about lost love. It is about all the wonderful everyday things Harold discovers through the mere process of putting one foot in front of the other. “The world was made up of people putting one foot in front of the other,” ........The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry” takes its opening epigraph from John Bunyan’s “Pilgrim’s Progress.” It takes the stirring spirituality of its ending from Bunyan too. In between Ms. Joyce’s book loosely parallels “The Pilgrim’s Progress” at times, but it is very much a story of present-day courage. She writes about how easily a mousy, domesticated man can get lost and how joyously he can be refound.

Joyce slowly reveals what he has to walk away from, and there are some surprises. His progress is measured in memories as well as miles; memories of parents who didn’t want him, and of the early days of his marriage and his only son David’s childhood. There are a few lapses in the story—events and characters that come along at convenient moments—but Joyce captures Harold’s emotions with a tidiness of words that is at times thrilling. It’s a trip worth taking.

Rachel Joyceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Andreas, MariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Andreas-Hoole, MariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Broadbent, JimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Davidson, AndrewIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zwart, JannekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Who would true valour see,
Let him come hither;
One here will constant be
Come wind, come weather.
There's no discouragement
Shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent
To be a pilgrim.

John Bunyan, The Pilgrim's Progress
For Paul, who walks with me, and for my father,
Martin Joyce (1936-2005)
The letter that would change everything arrived on a Tuesday.
He fell silent, and so did Martina. He felt safe with what he had confided. It had been the same with Queenie. You can say things in the car and know she had tucked them somewhere safe among her thoughts, and that she would not judge him for them, or hold it against him in years to come. He supposed that was what friendship was, and regretted all the years he had spent without it.
He had learned it was the smallness of people that filled him with wonder and tenderness, and the loneliness of that too. The world was made up of people putting one foot in front of the other; and a life might appear ordinary simply because the person living it had been doing so for a long time. Harold could no longer pass a stranger without acknowledging the truth that everyone was the same, and also unique; and that this was the dilemma of being human.
He watched the squares of buttery light inside the houses, and people going about their business. He thought of how they would settle in their beds and try to sleep through their dreams. It struck him again how much he cared, and how relieved he was that they were somehow safe and warm, while he was free to keep walking. After all, it had always been this way; that he was a little apart.
If he kept looking at the things that were bigger than himself, he knew he would make it to Berwick.
You could think you were starting something afresh, when actually what you were doing was carrying on as before. He had faced his shortcomings and overcome them, and so the real business of walking was happening only now.

Harold Fry is convinced that he must deliver a letter to an old love in order to save her, meeting various characters along the way and reminiscing about the events of his past and people he has known, as he tries to find peace and acceptance.
I'm just popping out
To post this letter, dear! Next
Stop: Berwick on Tweed ...
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812993292, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, July 2012: Harold Fry--retired sales rep, beleaguered husband, passive observer of his own life--decides one morning to walk 600 miles across England to save an old friend. It might not work, mind you, but that's hardly the point. In playwright Rachel Joyce's pitch-perfect first novel, Harold wins us over with his classic antiheroism. Setting off on the long journey, he wears the wrong jacket, doesn't have a toothbrush, and leaves his phone at home--in short, he is wholly, endearingly unprepared. But as he travels, Harold finally has time to reflect on his failings as a husband, father, and friend, and this helps him become someone we (and, more important, his wife Maureen) can respect. After walking for a while in Harold Fry's very human shoes, you might find that your own fit a bit better. --Mia Lipman

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:21 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,491,145 books! | Top bar: Always visible