When Lightning Strikes by Meg Cabot

When Lightning Strikes

by Meg Cabot

Recently added byemmaclare, Rena37, FennecGirl

The main character is sensible without being overly so, smart and bookworm-y, and is overall quite likeable. The books are short--less than 300 pages--but each one thus far has told a very enjoyable story. Fun mind-candy! ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Jessica Mastriani gets struck by lightning when she hides under metal bleachers during a thunder storm. Soon she wakes up the next morning knowing where a missing child is. Jessica calls an agency known as 1-800-Where-R-U. She is then to discover that she is psychic. Jessica keeps waking up knowing where a missing child is and is all over the news. Soon the FBI kick in and take her to a base and try to have her use her powers on missing convicts in the area that are said to have escaped jail, but are dead. Her boyfriend Rob Wilkins and his friends help her and a little boy taken from his mother by his abusive father from the base they are being kept at. The FBI s keep track of Jessica and will never leave her out of their sight.
I really enjoyed this book and the rest of the series. I like putting myself into the book and imaging that I am Jess and get struck by lightning and have psychic powers to find kids that are missing. Recommend this book to teens and tweens that like to read mystery mixed with romance and unique people. I like reading books that put me into the place of the main character and suspiciousness. I rethink the story after the book and replace the main character as me instead. I somewhat reenact the book in my mind as if it really would happen to me in real life. This book tempts me to hide under metal bleachers during a thunderstorm to see if I would get a star scare like Jessica and get psychic powers. Of course I wouldn't risk it but in my mind I visualize it happening. ( )
  NagisaR.B3 | Sep 15, 2013 |
Pretty good book. The author takes you on a journey with Jess, the girl who got struck by lightning and now all of a sudden can locate the missing people who's photographs are on the back of milk cartons. Beginning of the series. Easy Read. ( )
  Layla23 | May 12, 2010 |
When Jess is struck by lightning, she seems to be fine, until she goes to sleep. Then she wakes up knowing where the 2 kids on the back of a milk carton are, right down to the address. It is a really cool thing to be able to do until the government gets involved. And then Jess discovers that one of the kids she found would have been better off missing.

OK, I love Meg Cabot but this was still a pleasant surprise. Jess is a really interesting and quirky character. The first person "statement" that she makes is funny and compelling. I would recommend this for most readers with the stipulation that there is some language but nothing I would not expect real teens to use. ( )
1 vote TheLibraryhag | May 10, 2009 |
The 1-800-Where-R-You series by Meg Cabot is one of my favorites. One day walking home from school Jess was hit by lightning, after that whenever she slept she saw where missing children where. I love Jess’s attitude, and Rob is one of my favorite characters. ( )
  midnighttwilight101 | Mar 13, 2009 |
They want me to write it down.

This is a bold, new novel that will strike you blind if you don’t watch out! Jessica agrees to accompany her friend home from their school. However, as luck would have it they head straight into a huge Indiana thunderstorm. Its not that Jessica has never found herself in troubling situations before. She was always in the forefront of her extracurricular activities, involved in fistfights and detention rooms. However, this time the situation was one which even she could not handle. Somehow she had been bestowed with newfound magical powers. These powers could be the beginning or the end of a mystery, who knows? Do read on to find out!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0689868278, Mass Market Paperback)

Just because her best friend wants to exercise, Jessica Mastriani agrees to walk the two miles home from their high school. Straight into a huge Indiana thunderstorm -- and straight into trouble.

Not that Jess has never been in trouble before. Her extracurricular activities, instead of cheerleading or 4-H, include fistfights with the football team and monthlong stints in detention -- luckily, sitting right next to Rob, the sexiest senior around. But this trouble is serious.

Because somehow on that long walk home, Jessica acquired a newfound talent. An amazing power that can be used for good...or for evil.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:20 -0400)

Walking home from school, Jessica Mastriani heads straight into a huge Indiana thunderstorm and emerges with a newfound psychic ability.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,020,317 books! | Top bar: Always visible