Excalibur by Sanders Anne Laubenthal

Authors:Sanders Anne Laubenthal
Info:Ballantine
Tags:Modern Fantasy, Writing by Women

Excalibur by Sanders Anne Laubenthal

I read the original pb version of "Excaliber" many years ago when it was first published. The beginning is not great but I remember thoroughly enjoying most subsequent scenes. In them, the main characters interact with mythical beings, get swept up into an "alternative reality", and sometimes are involved in what might what be called "spiritual warfare".

One series of scenes in particular is strongly reminiscent of Charles Williams' principle of "substitution". Basically, this involves one person consciously taking on the psychological or spiritual burden currently shouldered by someone else. Williams demonstrated this best in his spiritual thriller novel, "Descent into Hell".

Laubenthal does a superb job of showing the same transfer & its effects toward the end of this book, as one character aids another who is on a kind of quest.

I ordered and received this revised SFBC edition of "Excalibur" via a used book dealer. (Hard cover -- see the illo above). I've been given to understand that Laubenthal was asked to revise her original manuscript by the new publisher, and I am hoping that she had a chance to fix some of the weaker scenes in the book. After I read the new edition, I may be editing my score for this title. I hope so! ( )
  SherryThompson | Jul 28, 2011 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,723,232 books! | Top bar: Always visible