Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to…

Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness (edition 2012)

by Scott Jurek, Steve Friedman

197960,038 (3.94)6
Member:391
Title:Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness
Authors:Scott Jurek
Other authors:Steve Friedman
Info:Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (2012), Edition: 1st Edition, 1st Printing, Hardcover, 272 pages
Collections:ebook
Tags:nonfiction, memoir

Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness by Scott Jurek

Recently added byaace, mindy.magee, Garrison.Poppe, private library, KRaySaulis, jacqueminv

This serves as a companion to Born To Run, the best-seller about ultra-marathon running. Scott Jurek, one of the runners in the book, has written a memoir about his life. I'm not sure that people who don't run will understand this - but it's worth the effort.

The chapters are broken down into three parts: stories about his life, food recipes, and running tips.

It sounds a little weird, but I was in tears as I finished the book. ( )
  thebradking | Feb 22, 2014 |
Amazing what the body can endure especially on a plant based diet. Amazing what the mind can do to keep the body going. Makes you want to put on the running shoes and see what you can do. ( )
  Neale | Jan 22, 2014 |
This is a great book written by a great runner. I really enjoyed reading this as I struggled to train for a half marathon. It was very motivating, and I was inspired to think about how I was eating as I read it. I highly recommend this book to any runner. ( )
  Meggiebeth | Nov 28, 2012 |
Eat & Run is ultrarunner Scott Jurek's running autobiography. He goes into detail about his childhood, how he got into running and developed skills as a runner, to his current status as one of ultrarunning's great runners. The book is also interspersed with recipes, as food is a huge part of his success to him, as well as his views on meditation and yoga interspersed with buddhist thoughts and values. ( )
  391 | Nov 12, 2012 |
Scott Jurek is a champion ultra runner. Being an ultra runner myself I was interested in reading this book to gain some insight. At first I found Jurek to be a lttle full of himself but as I continued reading I gained an appreciation for his passion for the sport. Jurek is also very much into nutrition and is a vegan. Ultra runner's are a breed of their own. Jurek describes his childhood and how he entered the running scene. He gives well described recounts of his races which I found quite interesting. Jurek has traveled all over the world to race ultras. The book is very interesting and it also contains a lot of vegan recipies. ( )
  realbigcat | Oct 30, 2012 |

Scott Jurekprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Friedman, Stevesecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0547569653, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, June 2012: While many of us sit behind a desk for eight or nine hours a day, Scott Jurek is running. A legend among hard-core runners, Jurek has fashioned a lucrative career as an ultramarathoner. He runs, and wins, grueling races in excess of 100 miles, in a wide array of usually inhospitable environments: Death Valley, the Sierra Nevada Mountains, Mexico’s Copper Canyon. And he does it on a completely plant-based diet. In Eat and Run, Jurek tells the story of how an average Midwestern kid growing up on meat he caught or killed himself became a vegan elite athlete. Part memoir, part training guide, part vegan manifesto, Jurek’s most inspiring proposal here is that running—like so many things in life—is less dependent on physical skill than it is on willpower. Runners of all levels, meat-eaters, and vegans alike will be inspired to lace up their sneaks and hit the trails. --Juliet Disparte

Photographs from Eat and Run

Click on thumbnails for larger images

The Tarahumara were known for their grace and speed. The fastest and most graceful of them all was Arnulfo Quimare, and to this day I consider him one of my noblest competitors. In 2005, two weeks after my seventh consecutive Western States 100 victory, I set out to conquer the Badwater Ultramarathon, a 135-mile endurance slog through Death Valley. Mile 12, 120 degrees, and I'm leading. What could go wrong? At 48miles in, I was over 5 miles behind, considered quitting, and decided that yes, those who described the insanity of the Badwater were right. In 2010, New York Times columnist Mark Bittman interviewed me. Before any questions, he opened his fridge and asked me to prepare a meal. I whipped up a veggie and tofu stir fry with homemade Indonesian almond sauce and quinoa.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:29 -0400)

In Eat and Run, ultrarunner Scott Jurek opens up about his life and career as an elite athlete, and about the vegan diet that is key to his success.

98 wanted2 pay1 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,718,777 books! | Top bar: Always visible