Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to…

Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness (edition 2012)

by Scott Jurek, Steve Friedman

2191553,142 (3.85)9
Member:ketazlat
Title:Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness
Authors:Scott Jurek
Other authors:Steve Friedman
Info:Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (2012), Edition: 1st Edition, 1st Printing, Hardcover, 272 pages
Rating:*****

Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness by Scott Jurek

I'm reading this now and although I have no desire to be an ultra anything, I'm enjoying reading about Scott's journey. The nutrition aspect is very very interesting and also the tips he gives on running, breathing, etc. ( )

Scott Jurekprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Friedman, Stevesecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0547569653, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, June 2012: While many of us sit behind a desk for eight or nine hours a day, Scott Jurek is running. A legend among hard-core runners, Jurek has fashioned a lucrative career as an ultramarathoner. He runs, and wins, grueling races in excess of 100 miles, in a wide array of usually inhospitable environments: Death Valley, the Sierra Nevada Mountains, Mexico’s Copper Canyon. And he does it on a completely plant-based diet. In Eat and Run, Jurek tells the story of how an average Midwestern kid growing up on meat he caught or killed himself became a vegan elite athlete. Part memoir, part training guide, part vegan manifesto, Jurek’s most inspiring proposal here is that running—like so many things in life—is less dependent on physical skill than it is on willpower. Runners of all levels, meat-eaters, and vegans alike will be inspired to lace up their sneaks and hit the trails. --Juliet Disparte

Photographs from Eat and Run

Click on thumbnails for larger images

The Tarahumara were known for their grace and speed. The fastest and most graceful of them all was Arnulfo Quimare, and to this day I consider him one of my noblest competitors. In 2005, two weeks after my seventh consecutive Western States 100 victory, I set out to conquer the Badwater Ultramarathon, a 135-mile endurance slog through Death Valley. Mile 12, 120 degrees, and I'm leading. What could go wrong? At 48miles in, I was over 5 miles behind, considered quitting, and decided that yes, those who described the insanity of the Badwater were right. In 2010, New York Times columnist Mark Bittman interviewed me. Before any questions, he opened his fridge and asked me to prepare a meal. I whipped up a veggie and tofu stir fry with homemade Indonesian almond sauce and quinoa.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:29 -0400)

In Eat and Run, ultrarunner Scott Jurek opens up about his life and career as an elite athlete, and about the vegan diet that is key to his success.

98 wanted3 pay2 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,229,639 books! | Top bar: Always visible