Porch Lights by Dorothea Benton Frank

Porch Lights

by Dorothea Benton Frank

Any time an author can get me to pick up a book with a storyline I might not usually consider, I have to give a lot of credit to that author. This story involves a grieving widow who decides to spend the summer with her mother, hoping to help ease her son's sadness about his father.

I don't like sad books, so I wouldn't normally read one with a grieving widow as the main character. But I love the writing style of Dorothea Benton Frank. I love how her characters seem determined to pull themselves through. In my opinion, this isn't a sad book.

I love the character of Annie, the mother to Jackie. And I love the descriptions of many dinners outside on a deck by the ocean. It makes me hungry and it makes me want to go to the beach :)

Great beach read, whether you're actually at the beach or not. ( )
  Mishale1 | Dec 29, 2018 |
Very good book - have finished all her books...now have her latest book on hold at library (library doesn't have book yet - don't think it's been released yet,.
  GlendaElliott | Feb 26, 2018 |
This is a great read for hurricane season. Even devastating things in life can be worked out when family comes together. Jackie and her son Charlie build a new life with help from Sullivan's Island.
Deb F. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog. ( )
  mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
I needed a light hearted read and I did not know Dorothea Benton Frank. The name alone drew enough interest then add it takes place mainly in a beach house called The Salty Dog. With a spunky 58 year old Southern Lady and her tangled family dynamics revolving around her 10 year grandson and a husband who has been "fishin" for 11 years well......you just gotta know what takes place under those Porch Lights! I'll be reading more DBF when I need more light reads. ( )
  BONS | Feb 15, 2017 |
My husband and I listened to this audio book on a trip and both enjoyed the gentle, sometimes sassy humor and the story. The reader was very good, which adds life to a story. A fractured, charming family comes together at a beach house that's been in the family a long time. A set of older parents, a newly bereaved daughter, her son, and various friends and other characters reveal what is going on in their lives. It's complicated, just like real life. You'll recognize people you know here. Charming is the word that comes to mind most often. Stuff happens. Precious details dot the book. This isn't my husband's type of book at all, so it's worth noting that he liked it, too.

Rascalstar | Jan 21, 2017 |

When Jimmy McMullen, a fireman with the NYFD, is killed in the line of duty, his wife, Jackie, and ten-year-old son, Charlie, are devastated. Charlie idolized his dad, and now the outgoing, curious boy has become quiet and reserved. Trusting in the healing power of family, Jackie decides to return to her childhood home on Sullivans Island. Crossing the bridge from the mainland, Jackie and Charlie enter a world full of wonder and magic--lush green and chocolate grasslands and dazzling red, orange, and magenta evening skies; the heady pungency of Lowcountry Pluff mud and fresh seafood on the grill; bare toes snuggled in warm sand and palmetto fronds swaying in gentle ocean winds.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,222,427 books! | Top bar: Always visible