Porch Lights: A Novel by Dorothea Benton…

Porch Lights: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Dorothea Benton Frank

Member:writestuff
Title:Porch Lights: A Novel
Authors:Dorothea Benton Frank
Info:William Morrow (2012), Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, To read, Review Books To Read
Tags:2012 Review Copy, Review Copy(Harper Collins), Women's Fiction

Porch Lights by Dorothea Benton Frank

When life gives you lemons and the making lemonade thing isn't going so well, sometimes you just need to kick back and get absorbed in someone else's problems be they real or fictional. One of the things I love about Dorothy's writing style is how she is able to introduce her characters and bring you along with them as they develop so that by chapter 3 or so, the reader finds him/herself caring about them as people - not just something made up. This story, set in the low country, shares all the culture and warmth you've come to expect from Dorothy. It is the story of how one extended family deals with tragic loss, separation, healing, and reunion. So, if you have a porch or deck and the weather is right, take your book or e-reader out and lose yourself in the Porch Lights spell. ( )
  readit2 | Sep 6, 2013 |
Jackie McMullen is an army nurse who had been called back to New York from Afghanistan when her husband Jimmy, a New York firefighter, dies while fighting a fire. Their son Charlie is having trouble adjusting. Jackie decided to take Charlie to visit his grandparents on Sullivan's Island to heal. Her parents have been living separately for eleven years although they are not divorced. Charlie takes on a job tending the next door neighbor's dogs while he's at work. He quickly makes friends with some vacationing children from Greenville. He doesn't want to return home although his mom is determined to return to Brooklyn at the end of the summer. There's some great information on Poe, a touch of romance, and a pivotal hurricane in the plot. It's a perfect summer beach read--a true "comfort reading" book. ( )
  thornton37814 | Jun 24, 2013 |
Leave the light on for me.

PORCH LIGHTS was a book about caring, family, healing, and a book that will steal your heart in more ways than one.
Jackie, recently widowed with a ten-year-old son, decides to go back home for the rest of the summer to help Charlie heal from the loss of his father. Many surprises await Jackie as well as many decisions. One of the surprises is her mother. They never did have an easy relationship, but her mother seems to have changed.

The characters were a nice mix of fun, intensity, loneliness, being loveable, and unique. The setting was very well described as well as the emotions of each character. You will cry, laugh, and even be envious of the family connection.

You will want to be part of the Britt family and live with them on Sullivan's Island. You will definitely want to share the delicious meals made by Annie, but you won't want to be Jackie who has a major life decision to make.

I have never read a book by Ms. Frank. She has an easy style and drew me in. This book was a pleasant read. 4/5

This book was given to me free of charge and without compensation by the publisher and TLC Book Tours in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  meadowmist | May 9, 2013 |
This woman is one of my all time favorite authors. She can't tell enough tales of the Lowcountry for me. This tale ensures a love of the beach and family and food, even those uneven families that are all too real, you still get into another world of reading. Please if you haven't read every one of dorothea's books do so this summer! ( )
  mchwest | May 1, 2013 |
Dotty Frank is hit or miss with me. This one's pretty much a hit, but mostly because I'm enchanted that the voice actor has taken pains to do a Charleston accent for one of the characters. Hearing "house" pronounced in the patois near and dear to me, made me smile. Story is fine; Typical DBF, with a lot of lowcountry references thrown in. I didn't want to slap anyone, which I sometimes do with her work. Some nice touches in terms of views of war nursing, motherhood, grief, and good ol' hurricanes. I can't go to Poe's Tavern, though, because they use latex gloves, and I'm allergic to latex/natural rubber. :( ( )
  bookczuk | Apr 23, 2013 |

When Jimmy McMullen, a fireman with the NYFD, is killed in the line of duty, his wife, Jackie, and ten-year-old son, Charlie, are devastated. Charlie idolized his dad, and now the outgoing, curious boy has become quiet and reserved. Trusting in the healing power of family, Jackie decides to return to her childhood home on Sullivans Island. Crossing the bridge from the mainland, Jackie and Charlie enter a world full of wonder and magic--lush green and chocolate grasslands and dazzling red, orange, and magenta evening skies; the heady pungency of Lowcountry Pluff mud and fresh seafood on the grill; bare toes snuggled in warm sand and palmetto fronds swaying in gentle ocean winds.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,495,527 books! | Top bar: Always visible