A Lady Cyclist's Guide to Kashgar by Suzanne…

A Lady Cyclist's Guide to Kashgar (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Suzanne Joinson

Member:RebaRelishesReading
Title:A Lady Cyclist's Guide to Kashgar
Authors:Suzanne Joinson
Info:Wheeler Publishing (2012), Hardcover, 488 pages
Tags:kindle

A Lady Cyclist's Guide to Kashgar by Suzanne Joinson (2012)

English (35)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (38)
Mixed feelings. I listened to this on CD in the car during a fairly long trip and it served me well in that capacity. I wanted to like it more than I did. It certainly provided interesting insights into what life would have been like in an extremely remote part of what is now China in the early 20th century for a small group of female European missionaries, but while it offered lots of the stress--which could have appeared in any high pressure situation--a lot of the day to day details of life were left out. Oddly enough there is almost nothing about the main character Eva actually riding her bicycle although there are a lot of notes for the guide she hopes to publish. She *says* riding her bicycle makes her feel free as if she is flying but she spends very little time actually riding her bike and is most often pushing it.

I was also a little put off that there are a handful of gay characters only two of whom are not predatory in nature.

The moral, at the risk of ruining the end, seems to be that if you stay put or follow your dream you will be equally miserable but at least if you stay put you will be safe and cause a lot less distress for those around you. ( )

CydMelcher | Feb 5, 2016 |
Interesting story of two independent women in different periods of history. Both are interested in Muslim cultures. The single missionary in the 1920’s who finds herself q single parent to a baby orphan girl turns out to have a connection to the modern single girl who finds herself inheriting the possessions of a woman she didn't know. Both stories are interesting. I particularly enjoyed the historical aspects of Eva’s story about life in a Muslim society and her escape with Ai Lein to Russia and eventually back to England and her unconventional life there. ( )
  brangwinn | Jan 2, 2016 |
Substance: What should be an interesting view of the central Asian world of the early 1920s was marred for me by a cast I did not care for and a tawdry exposition.
Style: Chapters alternate between the 1920s cast and the contemporary descendants of some. The writing is okay but not outstanding. ( )
  librisissimo | Dec 3, 2015 |
For Ben

It is 1923. Evangeline (Eva) English and her sister Lizzie are missionaries heading for the ancient Silk Road city of Kashgar. Though Lizzie is on fire with her religious calling, Eva’s motives are not quite as noble, but with her green bicycle and a commission from a publisher to write A Lady Cyclist’s Guide to Kashgar, she is ready for adventure.

In present day London, a young woman, Frieda, returns from a long trip abroad to find a man sleeping outside her front door. She gives him a blanket and a pillow, and in the morning finds the bedding neatly folded and an exquisite drawing of a bird with a long feathery tail, some delicate Arabic writing, and a boat made out of a flock of seagulls on her wall. Tayeb, in flight from his Yemeni homeland, befriends Frieda and, when she learns she has inherited the contents of an apartment belonging to a dead woman she has never heard of, they embark on an unexpected journey together.

A Lady Cyclist’s Guide to Kashgar explores the fault lines that appear when traditions from different parts of an increasingly globalized world crash into one other. Beautifully written, and peopled by a cast of unforgettable characters, the novel interweaves the stories of Frieda and Eva, gradually revealing the links between them and the ways in which they each challenge and negotiate the restrictions of their societies as they make their hard-won way toward home. A Lady Cyclist’s Guide to Kashgar marks the debut of a wonderfully talented new writer.

In 1923, devout Eva English and her not-so-religious sister Lizzie embark on a journey to be missionaries in the ancient Silk Road city of Kashgar.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,491,015 books! | Top bar: Always visible