The (Honest) Truth About Dishonesty: How We…

by Dan Ariely

Member:mkmiec
Title:The (Honest) Truth About Dishonesty: How We Lie to Everyone---Especially Ourselves
Authors:Dan Ariely
Info:Harper (2012), Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:From Wellington City Libraries, Read in 2013

The (Honest) Truth About Dishonesty: How We Lie to Everyone---Especially Ourselves by Dan Ariely

Skip this one and read "Predictably Irrational" (by the same author} ( )
  howzzit | Oct 18, 2016 |
Five stars means everyone should read it. Two happy evenings in a quiet room should do it - but it'll probably take longer because you'll keep interrupting yourself to share bits with family or housemates.

Good science - Ariely takes his well-done experiments and research out of the college labs, out of the ivory tower, out into the streets, and even around the world. I'm loving the fact that the so-called 'soft' sciences can be studied rigorously by researchers sufficiently dedicated.

Good writing - clear, smart, graceful, engaging, but no forced humor. He clearly cares, sincerely, about what he's studying, and wants to share it with us. No self-righteousness, no pretentiousness, no grubbing for fame or fortune... just a talented, hard-working teacher exploring the frontiers of behavioral economics & psychology with us.

I will say the book is not perfect. The man is influenced by his personal environment, of course. (He'd be the first to admit it.) One footnote mentions that he recently 'discovered' the concept of 'work-hours' (as in, how many hours of wages does it take to pay for a dinner out or a new jacket...). Well, I'm sorry, but I figured this out when I was 17, when I got my first paycheck. Didn't you?

Or more specifically, [W]e all remember the time college friends offered us pizza and beer in exchange for helping them move." Um, no, Dan, we don't.

But those are totally minor quibble. The book is *not* written at a college level, and *is* relevant to all.

We may think we understand white lies, the fudge factor, rationalizations & justifications, plagiarism, pirating, & counterfeiting, wishful blindness, the 'what-the-hell' effect and the 'knew-it-all-along' attitude, the benefits of cooperation, sunshine policies & transparency, story-telling & creativity, temptation & self-deception, etc. etc. - but we've never explored them like this before.

And what about contagion, ego depletion, and resetting rituals? Not sure what those are? Read and find out! And learn how to spot & counter dishonesty in yourself, your co-workers, even your doctor.

Yep, that's right. I'm now actually glad my doctor is joining MDVIP so I have an excuse to get a new one. Betcha you're intrigued now, even if you weren't before! :)" ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Interesting reading - especially during the Political Conventions :-) I am a fan of Dan Ariely's books. ( )
  becka11y2 | Jan 19, 2016 |
It's a quick read and has some interesting parts, but overall it's pretty shallow. And many of the points Ariely makes about dishonesty are a bit... obvious? ( )
  chasing | Jan 18, 2016 |
Surprising observations of our moral behaviour. I liked the insights into research methods and the author's sense of humour and sympathy for our human condition. ( )
  plansea | Oct 17, 2015 |
To my teachers, collaborators, and students, for making research fun and exciting.

And to all the participants who took part in our experiments over the years--you are the engine of this research, and I am deeply grateful for all your help.
My interest in cheating was first ignited in 2002, just a few months after the collapse of Enron.

The New York Times bestselling author of Predictably Irrational and The Upside of Irrationality returns with thought-provoking work to challenge our preconceptions about dishonesty and urge us to take an honest look at ourselves.

Does the chance of getting caught affect how likely we are to cheat? How do companies pave the way for dishonesty? Does collaboration make us more honest or less so? Does religion improve our honesty?

Most of us think of ourselves as honest, but, in fact, we all cheat. From Washington to Wall Street, the classroom to the workplace, unethical behavior is everywhere. None of us is immune, whether it's the white lie to head off trouble or padding our expense reports. In The (Honest) Truth About Dishonesty, award-winning, bestselling author Dan Ariely turns his unique insight and innovative research to the question of dishonesty.

Generally, we assume that cheating, like most other decisions, is based on a rational cost-benefit analysis. But Ariely argues, and then demonstrates, that it's actually the irrational forces that we don't take into account that often determine whether we behave ethically or not. For every Enron or political bribe, there are countless puffed résumés, hidden commissions, and knockoff purses. In The (Honest) Truth About Dishonesty, Ariely shows why some things are easier to lie about; how getting caught matters less than we think; and how business practices pave the way for unethical behavior, both intentionally and unintentionally. Ariely explores how unethical behavior works in the personal, professional, and political worlds, and how it affects all of us, even as we think of ourselves as having high moral standards.

But all is not lost. Ariely also identifies what keeps us honest, pointing the way for achieving higher ethics in our everyday lives. With compelling personal and academic findings, The (Honest) Truth About Dishonesty will change the way we see ourselves, our actions, and others.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:01 -0400)

The author, a behavioral economist, challenges our preconceptions about dishonesty; we all cheat, whether it is copying a paper in the classroom, or white lies on our expense accounts. He explores how unethical behavior works in the personal, professional, and political worlds, and how it affects all of use, even as we think of ourselves as having high moral standards. He explores the question of dishonesty from Washington to Wall Street, and the classroom to the workplace, to examine why cheating is so prevalent and what can be done to prevent it.… (more)

159 wanted4 pay2 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,799,548 books! | Top bar: Always visible