Trains go by Steve Light

Authors:Steve Light
Info:
Rating:*****

Trains Go by Steve Light

Young Reader Reaction: The illustrations and text - both in watercolor - are appealing not just to the eyes, but your ears, too. I really liked the mountain train going uphill and the real feel of elevation. The wide pages really lend themselves to a description of trains.

Adult Reader Reaction: This is so fun to read. It isn't just the kids / young listeners who get into the sound. The oblong size (wider than it is tall) really adds to the experience. It lets kids get the sense of an oversize book, but not one that is too hard for them to hold.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub®.
  TheReadingTub | Aug 21, 2014 |
"Chooo! Chooo!, Choo! Choo!"

An instant hit with this one year old, this book has a number of things going for it, not least its rail track shaped format (much wiser than it is tall).It has a simple text with lots of 'join in' sounds for the youngest reader, and colourful illustrations with a hand painted feel. ( )
  eloisejuniper | Dec 25, 2012 |
Richie’s Picks: TRAINS GO (board book) by Steve Light, Chronicle, January 2012, 16p., ISBN: 978-0-8118-7942-2

“Down by the station, early in the morning
Listen to the hissing of the big old gal.
See the diamond stoker warming up the smoker
Chug, chug, toot, toot
Clear the track!
--from a very old version found on Youtube by Ray Noble and his Orchestra

“I agree with you that they should have kept the train in, because children love to make the "choo-choo" noise.”
--one of my library school students writing about an old picture book that had been abridged when it was adapted for the board book format.

“Amtrak’s origins are traceable to the sustained decline of private passenger rail services in the United States from about 1920 to 1970. In 1971, in response to the decline, Congress and President Richard Nixon created Amtrak. The Nixon administration secretly agreed with some railroads that Amtrak would be shut down after two years. After Fortune magazine exposed the manufactured mismanagement in 1974, Louis W. Menk, chairman of the Burlington North Railroad remarked that the story was undermining the scheme to dismantle Amtrak. Though for its entire existence the company has been subjected to political cross-winds and insufficient capital resources, including owned railway, Amtrak’s ridership has maintained consistent growth.”
--from the Wikipedia article, “Amtrak”

I love trains. I always have. I sometimes think that there is something inherent in humans that makes us train lovers.

We had an ancient model train set that ran around the Christmas tree when I was little. The transformer burned out around the time of the British Invasion, but I still have a few of the old train cars stashed in the attic at the farm.

I learned as an adolescent how to ride the Long Island Railroad, and that’s how I traveled with friends to my first rock concert in New York City (Sly and the Family Stone and Rare Earth at the Garden). I've always loved train rides. Out here in coastal northern California, the trains have been absent for decades, but we’ve been fighting in recent years for high-speed rail between Sonoma County and San Francisco. That would be so cool to get on a train and head down to the city. Buses are a valuable component in a mass transportation network. But a bus is just not a train.

What I love about Steve Light’s board book TRAINS GO is two-fold: action and sound. I love the trim size which is six inches high and twelve inches long. When you open up the book you have a two-page spread that is six inches high and two feet long. This gives lots of room for trains to go whooooooooooshing by. Real action!

We do like our choo-choo noises, and TRAINS GO is a grand feast of onomatopoeia. This is all about the sounds of trains:

“The freight train goes, SQUEAK CLANG TING BING BING BING!”
“The mountain train goes, TRIP TRAP FUFF PUFF TRIP TRAP FUFF PUFF TRIP TRAP FUFF PUFF!”
The diesel train goes, “ZOOOSH ZOOOSH ZOOOOOOOSH DING DING DING!”

I can’t really do justice to the text here, because the letters that form these sounds are an integral part of the illustrations and of the movement of the trains from left to right across each of the two-page spreads. Therefore, the book does in spades one of those things that we hope to accomplish in a board book: the teaching of infants and toddlers how a book works and how we turn pages from right to left.

“Oh did you ever take a trip, baby, on the Mobile Line?
I said hey lawdy mama, mama, hey lawdy papa
Talkin’ ‘bout the Mobile Line.
That’s a road to ride to easy your worried mind.”
--John Sebastian’s version, on Youtube, of an old Peter Stampfel & Antonia Duren tune

I don’t know what it is with us boys, our trains, and our train noises, but this is a great one that really young kids are going to adore.

Richie Partington, MLIS
Richie's Picks http://richiespicks.com
BudNotBuddy@aol.com
Moderator http://groups.yahoo.com/group/middle_school_lit/ http://slisweb.sjsu.edu/people/faculty/partingtonr/partingtonr.php ( )
  richiespicks | Mar 10, 2012 |
TRAINS GO is a fun board book for young train fans. The artwork is abstract and colorful, and the text features fun sounds that kids will be eager to 'help you read': Clang, ting, bing, bing, bing!

What I liked is that the pages are really thick and sturdy, the sort that tend to hold up well to 'the abuse' of little hands. Being slick, the pages are also drool resistant :]

Pam T~
mom/#kidlit reader
  PamFamilyLibrary | Dec 19, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0811879429, Board book)

"The big steam train goes, CHUGGA chugga chugga CHUGGA chugga chugga CHOO CHOOOOOOO!" The diesel train goes, "zooosh zooosh ZOOOOOOOOSH ding ding ding!" The American goes, "clang clang clang TOOT TOOT!" All aboard! Take a trip on eight noisy trains as they huff, puff, and toot-toot their way through this lively board book! Perfect for the young train enthusiast.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:06:37 -0400)

Trains grumble, roar, and squeak their way through this board book.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,392,406 books! | Top bar: Always visible