Never Coming Back: A Novel by Hans Koppel

Never Coming Back: A Novel (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Hans Koppel

84None142,591 (3.76)8
Member:veesing
Title:Never Coming Back: A Novel
Authors:Hans Koppel
Info:Pegasus (2012), Hardcover, 336 pages
Tags:read

Never Coming Back: A Novel by Hans Koppel (2012)

English (6)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (10)
Ik heb dit boek gekregen als preread en ik vond hem heel goed. Ik heb er echt van genoten. Ik vond het alleen jammer dat het maar een dunnetje was, maar 218 pagina's. Maar ik heb toch niet het idee dat het een afgeraffeld verhaal was. van mij 4 sterren. ( )
  Gea1967 | Sep 22, 2013 |
This book is set in Sweden.
The main character is Mike his wife Ylva goes missing. No one knows whats happened to her. It turns out she has been kidnapped held by some new neighbours.
This book is very easy to read a real page turner albeit silly in places. I really enjoyed it though. I can see this being made into a film soon. ( )
  Daftboy1 | Apr 8, 2013 |
One day, as Ylva is heading home after work, she gets in her neighbor's car who offers a ride and she is never seen again. She is being held by this couple who are from her past and who plan to make her pay for her actions many years ago. She is held for a year and a half in a soundproof basement right across her own home; where her husband and daughter wonder what has happened to her. A really quick read that grips you from the first pages and sneaks in a couple of darn good twists that will make you go "huh??!!". ( )
  AleAleta | Jan 1, 2013 |
I really liked this book. Did I find it "amazing" as the 5 stars requires, no but I know I'm a little unfair being as how the book took place in Sweden and when I first started it I couldn't even tell you if the names were male or female and I feel out of sorts when I don't know where they are talking about when they say things like "just outside Helsingborg".

Aside from that, the book is about a wife, Ylva, who doesn't come home one day, just vanishes. She leaves a husband, Mike and daughter, Sanna grieving, trying to understand what happened to her and after so long just assume she's dead. What they don't know is frightening. She's being held captive by the neighborhood (who is harboring a grudge), in a sound proof room in their basement where her only link to the outside world is a video camera set up to record her own house where she can see Mike and Sanna coming and going.

The book did get my heart racing and it did keep me quite entertained (even though not funny at all). I didn’t care for the ending, I wish this was a book that had an alternate ending that I could also read.

I will definitely recommend!! Thank you NetGalley for giving me the chance to read this! ( )
  Sharn | Dec 15, 2012 |
I've not read very much by the sudden influx of Scandi-writers (yet) and the few books that I have tried have been decent but not entirely memorable, so it's safe to say I approached this with a fair bit of trepidation. The summary on the back sounded fairly appealing though and of course the plaudit that it is a `Swedish Thriller Phenomenon' was a draw in itself. I was keen to see if this would warrant such an accolade and I have to say that I can be a bit picky in whether or not a thriller actually thrills me as well!

The premise of this book was really good and sounded intriguing; when Ylva seemingly disappears after a night out with her colleagues, her husband Mike isn't overly concerned at first. However, as more time passes he becomes worried, as well as the prime suspect in her disappearance. Unbeknownst to both him and the police however, Ylva is very much alive- and close by- infact she is being held hostage in a soundproofed basement directly opposite her own house, with a camera rigged up by her captives so she can see exactly what is going on with her own family...

I have to say that the plot of this book was compelling and it did hold my attention after a fairly slow beginning and what I initially thought would be a cast of too many characters. The writing is pacey with just the right amount of suspense to keep the reader going- you really want to know what is going to happen to Ylva as well as why she has found herself in the predicament she is. As the story slowly unravels with little twists and turns you can imagine the torture she is going through at being trapped but having to witness the outside world through a TV monitor and particularly the actions of her husband and young daughter surviving without her.

Characters are well drawn and believable. Ylva's back story and past actions were interesting and added a nice dimension to the tale, as well as Mike's paranoia and weaknesses. I loved Sanna and her little quirks and foibles which were emphasised all the more when Mike was left on his own with her.

I have however given this book four stars and not five because I did think that some of the scenes were a little bit gratuitous and thrown in just for the sake of it when perhaps the reader could have used their own imagination. Also, I would have liked to have read a bit more about the psychological impact that being held captive was having on Ylva, as opposed to the extracts at the top of the chapters instead.

Overall, this was a compelling, absorbing thriller and definitely worth a read. As an aside, as `Hans Koppel' is a pseudonym, I would very much like to know who this writer really is so I could read more by him/her under their real name in future!

*This review also appears on Amazon.co.uk* ( )
  CookieDemon | Mar 8, 2012 |

Hans Koppelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Einar BlomgrenTranslatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pontus SánchezTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ze schreef dat ze gek was op boswandelingen en gezellige avonden thuis en dat ze iemand zocht met een sprankeling in zijn ogen.
De trap loopt in een hoek langs de muur, met een bordes in het midden.

When Ylva, a loving mother and wife, fails to come home from work, her husband is not initially suspicious. But as time passes, he becomese frantic with worry. And by the time he finally contacts the police, he is almost hysterical. Given the mysterious circumstances of her disappearance, he becomes the number one suspect.

But what no one knows is that she's being held hostage in the cellar of the house opposite her own.

A camera is rigged against her house and Ylva can only watch her family on the screen. They cannot see her — and they most certainly cannot hear her scream...

Mike Zetterberg lives with his wife Ylva and their daughter in a house just outside Helsingborg. One evening, Ylva isn't home as expected after work. Mike passes it off as a drink with a work friend, but when she's still missing the next day, he starts to worry. As Mike battles suspicion from the police and his own despair, he is unaware that Ylva is still alive, just a stone's throw from his own home. Ylva has been drawn into a twisted plot of revenge and tragedy that leads back into her and her abductors' shared past.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,419,199 books! | Top bar: Always visible