Santa's Book of Names by David McPhail

Santa's Book of Names (1993)

by David McPhail

197459,709 (4.39)None

42 months - a nice holiday book that was very timely for my 3 1/2 year old who is learning to read. I think people read too much into the Mother denying testing when the teacher sends home a note. Kids are ready to read at different ages some not until they are 7-8 years. My child has been verbal and into books and reading since birth, it seems, but she's slower with manual dexterity things. I on the other hand struggled for years with reading yet I eventually got it and was an honors student in high school and finished a Master's degree. Maybe the Mother just understands her child's strengths and knows that he may take a bit longer to catch on to reading. Sometimes it just requires someone or something special to motivate an early reader and some Christmas Magic might be what's needed.

maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
Santa needs a little help reading his book of names and gifts. Edward has trouble reading. Can he help Santa? Ages 5-10. ( )
  debnance | Jan 29, 2010 |
One of my favorite stories to read to students. Teachers who listen often shed a little tear. I love David McPhail's books and this is one of his great ones.
  cnfoht | Jan 1, 2008 |
This is a MUST READ for anyone who loves Christmas and watching children learn to read! ( )
  mlawson | Nov 7, 2006 |
To my mother, who sang us the songs of Christmas
Edward was good at numbers (he could count all the way to fifty).

Illustrated throughout with stunning watercolor nightscapes of snowy winter scenes, Santa's Book of Names depicts all the warmth and spirit of this special time of year in a story about a young boy who learns to read with Santa's help. David McPhail's inspirational holiday story emphasizes the importance of literacy while reminding readers that with patience and practice, you can achieve just about anything.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:02 -0400)

A young boy who has trouble reading helps Santa with his yearly rounds and receives a special Christmas present.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,366,311 books! | Top bar: Always visible