Event Horizon by Scott McElhaney

Info:
Rating:***1/2
Tags:scifi

Event Horizon by Scott McElhaney

fiction (1) K (1) M (1) religious (1) science fiction (2) sf (1) time travel (1)

I got this as a free book off of Amazon.

What a terrible book. And a disappointment too since it started off decently-- with an interesting premise of the protagonist mistakenly getting stuck in the future. The computer he interacted with there was probably the most interesting character in the book. Then suddenly, we get thrust into a spaceship with a bunch of people that we've never met or cared about, and from there, get stuck on the planet where they are headed, again with new characters (a lot of them!!!) that we don't care about. Nothing seems to come together, no good development of the characters.

I just received a comment from someone that told me that my review was mistaken. I agree that the wording of my review was incorrect. This book doesn't preach Christianity as I said prior in my review, but I felt that the way it was dealt with could have been handled a lot better. Just to clarify, I'm a Christian myself, and have found "Christian" views in other novels that were developed in a beautiful, meaningful way. For example, Orson Scott Card rewrote The Book of Mormon in his Call of Earth series, which was extremely well done. Mormons appreciated the rewrite, and science fiction fans were drawn to the story anyway. In his Alvin Journeymaker series, he rewrote the story of Joseph Smith. Again, well written, fascinating story and new world without beating our head with it. The fact that this was a Christian novelist does not bother me; the way the novel dealt so heavy-handedly with the topic was the issue. Thank you to Stephanie for helping me clarify my viewpoint.

Regardless, I still believe, Christian or not, you would do better to read another science fiction novel. ( )
  chickey1981 | Dec 27, 2011 |

Skylar Rains has made a significant breakthrough regarding the future of time travel. Testing this theory however leaves him stranded 1100 years in the future with no hope of return. What he discovers is a frightening world devoid of all life. Now he must sift through the clues to learn what became of the world he once knew. Much to his surprise, he finds that these clues may lead him to another planet nearly 12 light years away.

Scott McElhaney is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,054,809 books! | Top bar: Always visible