Drift: The Unmooring of American Military…

Drift: The Unmooring of American Military Power (edition 2012)

by Rachel Maddow

Info:Crown (2012), Hardcover, 288 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Own, Kindle, Politics, War, History, 2013

Drift by Rachel Maddow

A great discussion about the direction of the US military's global interventions in a post world war era. Maddow uses investigative intregrity coupled with her unique ability to cut through levels of political spin makes this a fascinating read. ( )
  UMAMH12 | Feb 16, 2014 |
This book was excellent and I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in her perspective on the development of the use of the military in America. I really enjoy her writing style and it makes me wish I had cable so I could watch her show. Really well-written and engaging. ( )
  katrinamariehh | Dec 15, 2013 |
This isn't a happy, fun-filled read - and I'm a Rachel Maddow fan. But it's an important, well-written one. It tells the story of how our country got from the Constitutional brakes purposely inserted to make war a difficult and last-resort choice for settling conflict to the endless War on Terror.

I think the most enlightening part for me was Maddow writing about the first Regan term of office. Specifically, how we got into (and massively screwed up) the war with Grenada. Which marked the beginning of the end of the whole advise and consent of Congress before entering into armed conflict thing.

KarenM61 | Nov 28, 2013 |

KarenM61 | Nov 28, 2013 |
So this is a book about how we've let military spending run amok and ushered in a new way of thinking, or more accurately, not thinking about our constant state of war. The last chapter, which feels like a bonus chapter as it seems somewhat tacked on, discusses our nuclear weapon stockpiles and is pretty terrifying. If the rest of the book was horrible, and it isn't, this chapter would make up for it.

One of my favorite things about this book is that it is written by a talk show host, someone involved in the 24-hour news cycle and isn't a book of partisan bullshit. Has any other "personality" done so? There are some injections of Maddow's humor which may annoy those of the conservative bent. These instances are minor and should easily be swept aside by all but the most juvenile conservatives.

so read this book, get an understanding of how we got here, and maybe we can work to change things. ( )
  dtn620 | Sep 22, 2013 |
War, in Maddow's world, is not in need of abolition so much as proper execution, which sometimes means more massive and less hesitant execution. LBJ "tried to fight a war on the cheap," Maddow quotes a member of Johnson's administration as recalling. On the other hand, when Colin Powell and Norman Schwarzkopf propose five or six aircraft carriers for the First War on Iraq, Maddow recounts that this "would leave naval power dangerously thin in the rest of the world." Dangerous for whom?
added by Lunar | editWar is a Crime, David Swanson (Apr 3, 2012)

Of all the enemies to public liberty, war is, perhaps, the most to be dreaded, becasue it comprises and develops the germ of every other. War is the parent of armies; from these proceed debt and taxes; and armies and debts, and taxes are the known instruments for bringing the many under the domination of the few. In war, too, the discretionary power of the Executive is extended; its influence in dealing out offices, honors, and emoluments is multiplied; and all the means of seducing the minds are added to those of subduing the force of the people. The same malignant aspect in republicanism may be traced in the inequality of fortunes and the opportunities of fraud growing out of a state of war, and in the degeneracy of manners and of morals engendered by both. No nation could reserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.

Those truths are well established. They are read in every page which records the progession from a less arbitrary to a more arbitrary government, or the transitions from a popular governmet to an aristocracy or monarchy.

-James Madison, "Political Observations," April 20, 1795
To former vice president Dick Cheney.  Oh, please let me interview you.
In the little town where I live in Hampshire County, Massachusetts, we now have a "Public Safety Complex" around the corner from what used to be our hokey, Andy Griffith-esque fire station.

Maddow shows how deeply militarized our culture has become--how the role of the national security sector has shape-shifted and grown over the past century to the point of being financially unsustainable and confused in mission.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,487,703 books! | Top bar: Always visible