The Bedlam Detective by Stephen Gallagher

The Bedlam Detective (2012)

by Stephen Gallagher

I really enjoyed this story. I liked the characters, even one of the baddies I quite liked to begin with. I loved the idea of a lunacy commission. Would read more by this author. ( )
  scot2 | May 13, 2018 |
Can't remember who recommended this detective mystery but I remember it was highly recommended.
I was disappointed. I love the authors writing style and the story really could have been better but it seemed to just lose momentum at the end and fizzle out like a dead firecracker (at least to me). I felt
Iike the author didn't have any concept of how he wanted the story to end and just tossed a coin and took the easiest way out.
As a result of this, I probably will not read anything further by ths author. ( )
  KarenHerndon | Dec 16, 2017 |
Very engaging and quality read, even if outside my normal genre styles.

If you like Downton Abbey or Dickens, this would be an interesting book to pick up and enjoy.

Best feature (that kept me glued to the book): Very short chapters/scenes that force you to keep reading as "just one more chapter" isn't that much. This book kept me up way too late a few nights because of this. :) ( )
  SESchend | Sep 6, 2017 |
a good detective/suspense book. as I read, I found myself thinking what a great movie this would be. A shape moves at the edge of the forest.. ( )
  cookierooks | Nov 16, 2016 |
A lot of promise, good writing and some of my favorite subjects (mysterious Amazonian adventures, asylums, early photography) and tight writing until the end. Jarring demise of an interesting character and a come-out-of-nowhere bad guy. No fair. ( )
  jjaylynny | Nov 12, 2016 |
"The result is that rare beast, a literary page turner."
added by bookfitz | editKirkus Reviews (Mar 1, 2012)

"Gallagher’s superior storytelling talents bode well for future adventures starring the well-rounded Becker."
added by bookfitz | editPublishers Weekly (Dec 12, 2011)

It is no good casting out devils. They belong to us,
we must accept them and be at peace with them.

D. H. Lawrence,
The Reality of Peace
1917
Sebastian Becker's train had been standing in this little English rural stop for fifteen minutes or more.

When Sebastian Becker, a London based private investigator, travels to the rural countryside to investigate a mass murder and the disappearance of two young girls, he finds himself face to face with immense danger, madmen, and dark forces.

"Sebastian Becker, a former policeman and Pinkerton agent who now works as the special investigator to the Masters of Lunacy, looking into cases involving any man of property whose sanity is under question. His latest assignment takes him to the small town of Arnmouth to determine whether Sir Owain Lancaster has gone around the bend."--Provided by publisher.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,124,744 books! | Top bar: Always visible