Intentions by Deborah Heiligman

Intentions

by Deborah Heiligman

I just couldn't finish this one. Basically, Rachel goes from sweet innocent good girl to naughty delinquent practically over night after witnessing something she shouldn't have seen. After witnessing aforementioned thing, she suddenly started misbehaving during ceremonies, speaking out, and Stealing The character 180 was so drastic and overdone, that it was unbelievable. I decided to kind of skip ahead to the end because I just wanted to see how it ended, and from what I read, Rachel apparently did another character 180 and went back to being sweet, good, truth-telling Rachel.
  superducky | Mar 31, 2013 |
I have been thinking about this book for a while. What would happen if you found out one of your idols was not who you thought they were? Rachel discovers this about her rabbi at a moment when the rest of her life is in a state of upheaval. Rachel makes mistakes which ring true, which is both good and bad; good, because they are realistic and bad because you may be shaking your head and telling her not to do those things at the same time. I admit that contemporary Jewish life is not something that I am familiar with, so there were times when I was a little confused about the rituals but I think overall it would be clear for anyone to read. ( )
  scote23 | Mar 30, 2013 |
When Rachel overhears an encounter between her rabbi and a female congregant in the synagogue sanctuary, her world starts unraveling as she questions whom she can trust. She evaluates her relationships with parents, friends, and the rabbi, and learns about her own motivations in the process. Well-developed characters and authentic voice emphasize the many nuances of the title. ( )
  STBA | Mar 20, 2013 |

Rachel thought she was grown up enough to accept that no one is perfect. Her parents argue, her grandmother has been acting strangely, and her best friend doesn't want to talk to her. But none of that could have prepared her for what she overheard in her synagogue's sanctuary.

Now Rachel's trust in the people she loves is shattered, and her newfound cynicism leads to reckless rebellion. Her friends and family hardly recognize her, and worse, she can hardly recognize herself. But how can the adults in her life lecture her about acting with kavanah, intention, when they are constantly making such horribly wrong decisions themselves? This is a witty, honest account of navigating the daunting line between losing innocence and entering adulthood—all while figuring out who you really want to be.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:22 -0400)

After fifteen-year-old Rachel overhears her rabbi committing infidelity, she must come to terms with the fact that adults make mistakes, too--and that she's old enough to be held responsible for her own mistakes.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,484,978 books! | Top bar: Always visible