Star Trek / Legion of Super-Heroes by Chris…

Star Trek / Legion of Super-Heroes

by Chris Roberson, Jeffrey Moy (Illustrator)

"The crew of the Starship Enterprise and the Legion of Super-Heroes come face to face as they deal with a changed history and timeline of which neither knows the cause"--P. [4] of cover.

The bad: Characterization is shallow at best, "Kirk being gross to Shadow Lass" at worst. The plot is similarly shallow for the most part, and the characters don't get to interact on a substantive level. Also the covers, while sometimes beautiful (especially in the gallery at the end) generally show the bridge crew with a whole complement of Legionnaires, even though only a few of them are actually in the story.

The good: I love the idea of putting both sets of heroes into a new timeline they don't recognize, a corruption of both universes. I also loved how the villain played into that structure. The two twists/reveals were really good. The volume is also really nicely made, a pleasure to hold and read. ( )
  FFortuna | Oct 18, 2017 |
Liked this a lot more than expected, though the two universes don't mesh all that cleanly. Still, a fun exercise in playing with two decidedly different sandboxes to see what happens. ( )
  SESchend | Sep 6, 2017 |
A time bubble carries a group of unusual adventures, the Legion of Super Heros. Their bubble get caught in a terrible vortex, one that may destroy the bubble protecting them. Meanwhile the Starship Enterprise in another time at another earth beams a crew down and finds themselves in another time. The bubble group has the same effect. When and where are they. Both groups in the wrong time on earth and everything has gone wacky.
Great art work and dramatic coloring ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
While IDW's later Star Trek: The Next Generation / Doctor Who storyline is definitely the crossover I've always known I wanted, Star Trek / Legion of Super-Heroes is the crossover I never knew I wanted. The concept might initially seem a little goofy, but I love Star Trek, and I love the Legion, and much for the same reason. Both series provide teams of colorful characters in strange settings accomplishing awesome things through virtue of teamwork. What's not to like? And why not cross over?

Chris Roberson's script sure plays up the parallels between the Federation and the United Planets, between the Enterprise crew and the Legion, to good effect. Not too much time is wasted on the initial, mandatory confrontation, but even that is well-played and interesting: what would Spock do if faced with Braniac 5? The answer is, of course, awesome. Both groups end up working together, though, to figure out why both their universes have been replaced with this aberrant one, and the interaction is helped by the fact that Roberson knows all the characters on both teams; there's even a great Chekov joke. Roberson sure does have fun with the mashup: we get an Orion with the Emerald Eye, Klingons fighting Khunds. And I never thought I'd see the day where Superboy showed up in a Star Trek comics, even if just in a flashback! If the comic falls down anywhere, it's the end: something complicated seems to have been built up, but it resolved in a far too cursory fashion just before the story's end, which is a bit of a bummer. Roberson had done such good character work up to that point, that I was disappointed that it didn't really factor into the conclusion.

I really liked the art of Jeffrey and Philip Moy. The Legion was all on-character, but so too was the Enterprise crew: it was definitely them, without seeming traced or stiff. Get these guys on a regular Star Trek comic, stat! They also drew some great two-page spreads, especially the histories of the Legion and the Federation. I felt damn near inspired reading those sequences.

One other quibble: I am pretty sure the gap after The Great Darkness Saga where this story supposedly takes place in Legion continuity just doesn't exist. This certainly oughtn't take place after "The Day after Darkseid," but there's no point where it could fit in before that.
  Stevil2001 | Mar 8, 2013 |

Chris Robersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Moy, JeffreyIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Moy, PhilipIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Space.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,746,497 books! | Top bar: Always visible