A Dance With Dragons: Part 1 Dreams and Dust…

A Dance With Dragons: Part 1 Dreams and Dust (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book… (original 2011; edition 2012)

by George R. R. Martin

Member:Browzee
Title:A Dance With Dragons: Part 1 Dreams and Dust (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)
Authors:George R. R. Martin
Info:Harper Voyager (2012), Paperback, 704 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Read 2013

A Dance With Dragons 1: Dreams and Dust by George R. R. Martin (2011)

English (8)  Dutch (2)  All languages (10)
This is the fifth and latest of Martin's Song of Ice & Fire series, which I can honestly say is my least favorite.
Likes: it continues the tale with both style and spectacular character development, he's still able to slip surprises into the tale, great ending.
Dislikes: poor editing (especially parts at the beginning that should have definitely been in the previous book), small chunks that tend to be boring because they introduce new characters or transition moments that feel forced like an infomercial, his need to kill off characters for shock value (at first it kept me on my toes, but now it is frustrating to the point of not wanting to invest in any character), and finally he introduced a reborn character at the end of the last book and then no mention at all in this one (which is the author's right but it still ticked me off). ( )
  revslick | Dec 28, 2013 |
It’s been a while since I read book 4 but didn’t really have any problems sinking straight back in to this series (the TV show has probably helped with this). Books 4 & 5 run more or less in tandem following different groups of people in each tome. This one deals with what happens to Tyrion, Jon Snow, Daenerys, Bran, Stannis, Reek and a few other subsidiary characters. Each chapter is headed by character name so you know who’s up next and as some chapters end on cliff-hangers you want to jump ahead at times to see what happens to that person/group rather than returning to somebody else’s tale.

Considering this is a fairly sizeable book (624 pages without the appendix) the overall story arc isn’t greatly advanced. It ends with a lot of people still in the same place they started. As this is not really a complete book the ending isn’t really a conclusion, it just stops and of course some of the characters face imminent peril so I guess I’ll just have to move straight on to Part 2. ( )
  AHS-Wolfy | Sep 9, 2013 |
As much as I enjoyed reading and re-reading these books, along with enjoying the TV series I'm beginning to wish Martin would get on and do some writing instead of parading about in spotlight of the TV series. I'm concerned I won't live long enough to read the final two books and I'm looking fitter than he does. ( )
  Navigator7 | Jul 23, 2013 |
Meh. Yet more of the same. Somewhat more interesting than some in the series as our favourite characters get a littl emore air-time, but really the whole book is just filling time waiting for the dragosn to grow. The whole series is set-up for Danerys to invade Westeros, and until she does we're just marking time. I had high hopes from the title that this would at least mark her landing. But no, she's stuck in a city moping. I don't quite know why Martin hyas changed her character so dramatically, she appear s not to have learnt any of her life's lessons so far - unlike at least some of the other characters. (also she's the recpiant of some of the worst of Martin's writing, we are very much told rather than shown how she is feeling).

Still waiting for something exciting to happen. I've given up hoping it will be about a character I care about, as I don't. But Winter is Coming, apparently although it appears to have been several years in the task. There are also a few discontinuous time jumps as actions happen and then their consequences are reported later - when the actual intervening bit might have been interesting. Martin doesn't seem to care about making things interesting though.

As before each individual chapter is good, but there remains a massive discconect between them, and no sense of overal story at all. Yet again despite all the heresay regarding this series, no significant characters get killed off. ( )
  reading_fox | Jul 10, 2013 |
Again, I read these through back to back in a couldn't-put-them down way, but they have all merged! ( )
  atreic | May 28, 2013 |
The night was rank with the smell of man.

In the aftermath of a colossal battle, new threats are emerging from every direction. Tyrion Lannister, having killed his father, and wrongfully accused of killing his nephew, King Joffrey, has escaped from King's Landing with a price on his head. To the north lies the great Wall of ice and stone -- a structure only as strong as those guarding it. Eddard Stark's bastard son Jon Snow has been elected 998th Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. But Jon has enemies both inside and beyond the Wall. And in the east Daenerys Targaryen struggles to hold a city built on dreams and dust.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,251,683 books! | Top bar: Always visible