A Dance With Dragons: Part 1 Dreams and Dust…

A Dance With Dragons: Part 1 Dreams and Dust (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book… (original 2011; edition 2012)

by George R. R. Martin

Member:Browzee
Title:A Dance With Dragons: Part 1 Dreams and Dust (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)
Authors:George R. R. Martin
Info:Harper Voyager (2012), Paperback, 704 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Read 2013

A Dance With Dragons 1: Dreams and Dust by George R. R. Martin (2011)

English (10)  Dutch (3)  All languages (13)
Was dreading this a bit as I did not really enjoy feast for cros and bought this would have a similar effect on me. Pleasantly surprised that I got back into the story with this one and enjoyed most of it. Think that this mainly down to liking the Tyrion sections , always good value. There is something annoying about the Daenerys parts though, constant lists of names and details that make it a struggle to get throught those chapters. For me, a return to pretty good form. ( )
  polarbear123 | Mar 30, 2015 |
My first read through of the newest book in the Song of Ice and Fire series. The book itself isn't so new now but I had to do a reread of the previous four books before I was going to tackle this one. I'm glad I did. Without the rereads I would have been very confused about why some people were in the places they were and why they meant when they said some things. Martin includes some explanations but these are integrated into the story and not really meant as a fill-in for readers. Martin expects you to have read all the previous books and kept up with the goings-on in the realm. I enjoyed this book. This book happens at the same time as book four does. There was just too much material to write about that Martin had to split it all into two books. And whereas the fourth book consisted of many viewpoints from characters I either didn't like or wasn't invested in, I didn't like it as much as I'd hoped. This volume however has the viewpoints of some of my favorites: Jon, Tyrion and Daenerys. It's a long book though. And I'm only halfway done: this book was too big as well and was divided into two. That is a lot of damn hours of reading/listening but in the end it is all worth it. I've said it before, but this series is a masterpiece; very complex and dark but fantastic. It's not for everyone, but if you can handle it, you'll never forget it. ( )
  Kassilem | Jan 20, 2015 |
This is the fifth and latest of Martin's Song of Ice & Fire series, which I can honestly say is my least favorite.
Likes: it continues the tale with both style and spectacular character development, he's still able to slip surprises into the tale, great ending.
Dislikes: poor editing (especially parts at the beginning that should have definitely been in the previous book), small chunks that tend to be boring because they introduce new characters or transition moments that feel forced like an infomercial, his need to kill off characters for shock value (at first it kept me on my toes, but now it is frustrating to the point of not wanting to invest in any character), and finally he introduced a reborn character at the end of the last book and then no mention at all in this one (which is the author's right but it still ticked me off). ( )
  revslick | Dec 28, 2013 |
It’s been a while since I read book 4 but didn’t really have any problems sinking straight back in to this series (the TV show has probably helped with this). Books 4 & 5 run more or less in tandem following different groups of people in each tome. This one deals with what happens to Tyrion, Jon Snow, Daenerys, Bran, Stannis, Reek and a few other subsidiary characters. Each chapter is headed by character name so you know who’s up next and as some chapters end on cliff-hangers you want to jump ahead at times to see what happens to that person/group rather than returning to somebody else’s tale.

Considering this is a fairly sizeable book (624 pages without the appendix) the overall story arc isn’t greatly advanced. It ends with a lot of people still in the same place they started. As this is not really a complete book the ending isn’t really a conclusion, it just stops and of course some of the characters face imminent peril so I guess I’ll just have to move straight on to Part 2. ( )
  AHS-Wolfy | Sep 9, 2013 |
As much as I enjoyed reading and re-reading these books, along with enjoying the TV series I'm beginning to wish Martin would get on and do some writing instead of parading about in spotlight of the TV series. I'm concerned I won't live long enough to read the final two books and I'm looking fitter than he does. ( )
  Navigator7 | Jul 23, 2013 |
The night was rank with the smell of man.

In the aftermath of a colossal battle, new threats are emerging from every direction. Tyrion Lannister, having killed his father, and wrongfully accused of killing his nephew, King Joffrey, has escaped from King's Landing with a price on his head. To the north lies the great Wall of ice and stone -- a structure only as strong as those guarding it. Eddard Stark's bastard son Jon Snow has been elected 998th Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. But Jon has enemies both inside and beyond the Wall. And in the east Daenerys Targaryen struggles to hold a city built on dreams and dust.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,998,028 books! | Top bar: Always visible