A Dance With Dragons: Part 1 Dreams and Dust…

A Dance With Dragons: Part 1 Dreams and Dust (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book… (original 2011; edition 2012)

by George R. R. Martin

Member:Browzee
Title:A Dance With Dragons: Part 1 Dreams and Dust (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)
Authors:George R. R. Martin
Info:Harper Voyager (2012), Paperback, 704 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Read 2013

A Dance With Dragons 1: Dreams and Dust by George R. R. Martin (2011)

English (13)  Dutch (3)  All languages (16)
Author George R. R. Martin's decision to split the stories of his Song of Ice and Fire characters between two books, A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons, is surely his most controversial. Though I liked Feast, I saw where the book's critics were coming from. Dance sees the return of many key characters, including fan favourites Tyrion, Daenerys and Jon Snow, who were absent from Feast (though Jon was present in some of Samwell Tarly's chapters). This is surely the reason the fanbase is kinder to Dance than its predecessor, as with perhaps the exception of Jaime, none of that earlier volume's main characters have the charisma and appeal of these three.

But fundamentally, Dance has the same remit as Feast; its goal is primarily to lay the groundwork for the second Act of Martin's Song. It's just as intriguing and easy to read as Feast (or, indeed, any of the preceding volumes), but the reason it is more favoured is that it does so with greater élan. Those who didn't like Feast will be appeased by Dance; those who did like it will need no convincing.

It's rather difficult to write about the books in this series without spoiling plotlines but from Dreams and Dust, the first part of A Dance with Dragons, it is clear that something big is taking shape. The author destroyed Westeros in the War of the Five Kings, as depicted in the first three books, but in subsequent books he has all but rebuilt it. The seeds have been sown; let's hope there will be some reaping in A Dance with Dragons, Part Two: After the Feast. ( )
  MikeFutcher | Jun 3, 2016 |
napokon sam je procitala,posto nisam procitala predhodne bilo je jako tesko ovu knjigu citati,pratila sam seriju i nekako uspjela da pohvatam konce,al jedva. ( )
  ceca78 | Apr 10, 2016 |
Very interesting. Tyrion is a great character and is really put through the wringer (in common with all the characters), You never know what's going to happen next (except that people will die!). Well worth the long read. ( )
  jerhogan | Apr 26, 2015 |
Was dreading this a bit as I did not really enjoy feast for cros and bought this would have a similar effect on me. Pleasantly surprised that I got back into the story with this one and enjoyed most of it. Think that this mainly down to liking the Tyrion sections , always good value. There is something annoying about the Daenerys parts though, constant lists of names and details that make it a struggle to get throught those chapters. For me, a return to pretty good form. ( )
  polarbear123 | Mar 30, 2015 |
My first read through of the newest book in the Song of Ice and Fire series. The book itself isn't so new now but I had to do a reread of the previous four books before I was going to tackle this one. I'm glad I did. Without the rereads I would have been very confused about why some people were in the places they were and why they meant when they said some things. Martin includes some explanations but these are integrated into the story and not really meant as a fill-in for readers. Martin expects you to have read all the previous books and kept up with the goings-on in the realm. I enjoyed this book. This book happens at the same time as book four does. There was just too much material to write about that Martin had to split it all into two books. And whereas the fourth book consisted of many viewpoints from characters I either didn't like or wasn't invested in, I didn't like it as much as I'd hoped. This volume however has the viewpoints of some of my favorites: Jon, Tyrion and Daenerys. It's a long book though. And I'm only halfway done: this book was too big as well and was divided into two. That is a lot of damn hours of reading/listening but in the end it is all worth it. I've said it before, but this series is a masterpiece; very complex and dark but fantastic. It's not for everyone, but if you can handle it, you'll never forget it. ( )
  Kassilem | Jan 20, 2015 |
The night was rank with the smell of man.

In the aftermath of a colossal battle, new threats are emerging from every direction. Tyrion Lannister, having killed his father, and wrongfully accused of killing his nephew, King Joffrey, has escaped from King's Landing with a price on his head. To the north lies the great Wall of ice and stone -- a structure only as strong as those guarding it. Eddard Stark's bastard son Jon Snow has been elected 998th Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. But Jon has enemies both inside and beyond the Wall. And in the east Daenerys Targaryen struggles to hold a city built on dreams and dust.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,248,240 books! | Top bar: Always visible