The Enormous Carrot by Vladimir Vagin

The Enormous Carrot

by Vladimir Vagin

Kids love the idea of this super big carrot! ( )
  emtimmins | Apr 17, 2014 |
This book has wonderful pictures and is all about teamwork. I really think children 3-10 would enjoy this.
  clapkj01 | Apr 25, 2010 |
This familiar folktale is depicted in detailed and vibrant illustrations. It is the timeless story of the last and smallest changing the outcome dramatically (like Jan Brett's The Mitten). The writing is repetitive and includes patterns which will draw young readers into a successful shared reading experience.
  susanmartling | Mar 8, 2010 |
Two rabbits plant a garden and a giant carrot appears one day. They can't get it out alone and learn that through collaboration the carrot can be cultivated.

Reading this book I thought of my own garden and all the work that I put into it. It is not a lone effort however, my parents, niece, and I all work together to keep the garden in tip-top shape. This book uses repetition and the illustrations are amazing.

Because of the use of repetition this would be a good book for shared reading within my classroom. I would share the book with the students a few times and as they began to memorize it they would be able to read along with me. This would increase their confidence as readers and allow them to have fun as well. It would also be a good book to discuss the value of team work and what we as a class could do to be more helpful to one another. ( )
  Hennigar | Apr 29, 2008 |
Olga (BookHive (www.bookhive.org))
This story is based on the Russian folktale The Enormous Turnip . After discovering an enormous carrot in their garden, Daisy and Floyd ask their friends to help pull it out. Enter a variety of comical animal friends including a dog, cow, chicken and goat to help the two rabbits heave and ho. The team has no luck extracting the carrot until a tiny mouse named Lester joins the group and the enormous carrot comes out. The updated version of this popular classic includes a repeated refrain and bold, colorful pictures created with watercolor and colored pencil. The whimsical illustrations even give the reader/listener hints to the forthcoming events. A delightful read aloud that will surely be an ENORMOUS hit! ( )
  butterfly3 | May 16, 2007 |

A group learns the value of teamwork as one animal after another joins in the effort to pull a giant carrot out of the ground. Based on a Russian folktale.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,142,233 books! | Top bar: Always visible