Welcome to Zanzibar Road by Niki Daly

Welcome to Zanzibar Road (2006)

by Niki Daly

I read this in hopes that it would work for my "Around the World" preschool story time. While it's a cute story, it's too long for my purposes. This would make a fun bedtime story (one chapter a night) for preschoolers. ( )
  JenW1 | Apr 19, 2017 |
I thought this was a cute little story. Even thought it is a picture book it is divided into 5 chapters which will make the little ones feel more grown-up! I would use this book in the library to welcome new students or to reinforce the concept of friendship and working together. Theme could be - Friendship
  Tracie_Shepherd | Feb 28, 2016 |
My daughter and I enjoyed this book together. She liked the colors and art work. I liked that he put a bunch of short stories into one book. ( )
  ronicadibartolo | Sep 25, 2013 |
Niki Daly tells a story of an elephant, Mama Jumbo, who lives in Africa and decides to build a house on Zanzibar Road. After her new neighbors help her she decides that she is lonly and wants someone to live with her. A small chicken named Chico comes along and Mama Jumbo takes her in. A warm hearted story of the relationship of Mama Jumbo and Chico and their friendly neighbors. Grades K - 3 ( )
  ydraughon | Jun 12, 2012 |
This is fun series of stories with African animals and an interesting African flavor. In the first story, when the elephant Mama Jumbo builds her house, she builds it out of scrap metal, and marks her address with a 7-Up sign. My 4 1/2-year-old was entranced. ( )
  dchaikin | Apr 5, 2009 |

On a hot day in Africa, the neighborhood of Zanzibar Road is bustling! There’s always someone ready to share a funny story, lend a helping hand, or celebrate a big day. As soon as Mama Jumbo walks down this special street, she knows she’s found the perfect place to settle down. And with her kind heart and big imagination, she’s sure to fit right in with her neighbors. There’s Baba Jive, who likes to play his sax; Bro Vusi and his bookmobile; Louie-Louie, who sells sweets in his shop; mischievous Juju; friendly Kwela and Buti; and lovable Little Chico. You’ll get to meet all of these delightful characters in five short, funny, and sweet stories, just right for reading alone or sharing with a neighbor of your own.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:31 -0400)

After moving into the house on Zanzibar Road that her neighbors helped her build, Mama Jumbo decides to share it with Little Chico.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,987,996 books! | Top bar: Always visible