Gold: A Novel by Chris Cleave

Gold: A Novel (original 2012; edition 2013)

by Chris Cleave (Author)

Member:zumana
Title:Gold: A Novel
Authors:Chris Cleave (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster (2013), Edition: Reprint, 384 pages
Tags:to-read

Gold by Chris Cleave (2012)

The cyclists were well done, but the situation was so unbelievable and one of the characters so unlikable, I didn't enjoy it. I gave it 3 stars as it was fairly well written, but 2 stars for the experience. ( )
  Jandrew74 | May 26, 2019 |
A great fictional narrative about sporting heroes and what goes into the making of one.

For a complete review, please click on the link below:

http://onerightword.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/gold-chris-cleave.html ( )
  ashkrishwrites | Aug 29, 2018 |

I really like Chris Cleave's writing style. I didn't expect to like Gold as much as I liked Little Bee but in fact I loved it, more so than Little Bee. Now I need to go read Incendiary. ( )
  JamieBH | Apr 3, 2018 |
I really struggled to read this book, cos I liked the other hand so much. But the characters seemed 2d and I'm not a big fan of competitive cycling. Zoe did some truly awful things and the other characters just didn't seem to react, possibly cos their life was so taken up with other things. I didn't really like any of the voices in this tale - they felt off the shelf. ( )
  kk1 | Mar 21, 2018 |
A compelling read with only five characters -- three cyclists, the coach, and the kid. Sort of a ghost, too, the dead kid brother who metaphorically haunts the one cyclist. Good tension and suspense and heart-wrenching without being ridiculous. Certainly could be made into a movie. A good example of a story that moves forward while the flashbacks help build a clearer picture of the real story as their timeline moves forward, too.
Recommended reading. ( )
  LDVoorberg | Dec 3, 2017 |
Go for Gold if you want to enter into some Olympic spirit via the ups and downs of a tight-knit group of characters. However, if you find yourself unmoved by the kind of technical details contained in, "he prodded questioningly at the minimalist opening mechanism of the apartment’s high-gloss olive-lacquered sliding front door", then this may not be your idea of a winner.

This might have been the “North Dallas Forty” or “Ball Four” of an obscure Olympic sport — sharp, revelatory, funny. ­Instead it’s “Beaches” on bikes.
added by geocroc | editNew York Times, Bruce Barcott (Jul 13, 2012)

Gold is in every sense a taut novel about three intimate, sharply drawn characters – lovers, rivals – training for cycling gold medals at the 2012 Olympics.

Like most novels about sport, Chris Cleave's Gold isn't really about sport. Sport as an activity, of course, is unbeatably thrilling if you're a participant or a fan. The problem is, if you're neither of those things, it can be the most astonishing bore.
added by geocroc | editThe Guardian, Patrick Ness (Jun 8, 2012)

Gold is indeed a sentimental novel but it has that rare gift of getting past the urban sneer to move and gratify, to stir us because it does, indeed, matter.
added by geocroc | editThe Observer, Alex Preston (Jun 3, 2012)

For Cecily
Just on the other side of an unpainted metal door, five thousand men, women and children were chanting her name.

Cyclists Zoe and Kate are friends and athletic rivals for Olympic gold, while Kate and her husband Jack, also a world-class cyclist, must contend with the recurrence of their young daughter's leukemia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,431,872 books! | Top bar: Always visible