Gold: A Novel by Chris Cleave

Gold: A Novel (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Chris Cleave

Title:Gold: A Novel
Authors:Chris Cleave
Info:Simon & Schuster (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages

Gold by Chris Cleave (2012)

Recently added byprivate library, Clairmatthews, flipper_ace, johnwbeha, shellcox, ShelleyAdams, Jodeneg, INorris

I really don't like 5 point grading systems! This book rates 7/10. It is a good read. My wife suggests that this book is paced like track cycle sprint race, very slow at the start but gradually winding up to fast and furious finish. I agree, but the very slow start makes it hard to get involved and, I think, diminishes the impact. Also I could have done with much less of "Star Wars" and the epilogue was unnecessary. But having got my moans out of the way, I enjoyed it. ( )
  johnwbeha | Nov 18, 2015 |
This was very timely reading as it is the story of two British women, Zoe and Kate, who are training for the 2012 Summer Olympics in London. They are track cyclists who share the same coach and have had a long troubled relationship with each other as both competitors and friends. Not much more can be said about the plot without providing a spoiler. Part of the story is told from the point of view of one of the women’s eight year-old daughter who is battling a recurrence of leukemia and frequently handles it with a fantasy life revolving around Star Wars. I enjoyed the book. There were unexpected twists that kept the story interesting. ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
Couldn't finish this book either; good story of sporting rivalry but the eight year old with cancer was all too sad. ( )
  siri51 | Jul 14, 2015 |
Another book club book and one that I probably wouldn't have picked up on my own. I didn't love this book but I didn't hate this book either. I found it to be interesting but not one that I loved.

Gold is about 3 cyclists going for GOLD at many different Olympics. You have Jack, Kate and Zoe. All three first meet when they were young and just starting out in cycling. Then there is Sophie, Jack and Kate's daughter who is fighting Leukemia. Kate gives up going to the Olympics after Sophie and once she is diagnosed with Leukemia it looks like her hopes are gone forever.

Gold follows all three with flashbacks and to the present. You learn how each individual was shaped into the adult they are now. Seeing how each one had a different beginning and what drove them to get into cycling. The things they do with and to each other during the book makes for some entertaining and heartbreaking moments. ( )
  crazy4reading | May 26, 2015 |
Fascinating story of the human cost and sacrifice to win Olympic gold, based on two British cyclists. ( )
  wareagle78 | Oct 23, 2014 |
Go for Gold if you want to enter into some Olympic spirit via the ups and downs of a tight-knit group of characters. However, if you find yourself unmoved by the kind of technical details contained in, "he prodded questioningly at the minimalist opening mechanism of the apartment’s high-gloss olive-lacquered sliding front door", then this may not be your idea of a winner.
This might have been the “North Dallas Forty” or “Ball Four” of an obscure Olympic sport — sharp, revelatory, funny. ­Instead it’s “Beaches” on bikes.
added by geocroc | editNew York Times, Bruce Barcott (Jul 13, 2012)
Gold is in every sense a taut novel about three intimate, sharply drawn characters – lovers, rivals – training for cycling gold medals at the 2012 Olympics.
Like most novels about sport, Chris Cleave's Gold isn't really about sport. Sport as an activity, of course, is unbeatably thrilling if you're a participant or a fan. The problem is, if you're neither of those things, it can be the most astonishing bore.
added by geocroc | editThe Guardian, Patrick Ness (Jun 8, 2012)
Gold is indeed a sentimental novel but it has that rare gift of getting past the urban sneer to move and gratify, to stir us because it does, indeed, matter.
added by geocroc | editThe Observer, Alex Preston (Jun 3, 2012)
For Cecily
Just on the other side of an unpainted metal door, five thousand men, women and children were chanting her name.

Cyclists Zoe and Kate are friends and athletic rivals for Olympic gold, while Kate and her husband Jack, also a world-class cyclist, must contend with the recurrence of their young daughter's leukemia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,916,650 books! | Top bar: Always visible