A personal anthology by Jorge Luis Borges

A personal anthology (edition 1967)

by Jorge Luis Borges

After almost a half a century of scrupulous devotion to his art, Jorge Luis Borges personally compiled this anthology of his work--short stories, essays, poems, and brief mordant "sketches,” which, in Borges’s hands, take on the dimensions of a genre unique in modern letters. In this anthology, the author has put together those pieces on which he would like his reputation to rest; they are not arranged chronologically, but with an eye to their "sympathies and differences.” A Personal Anthology, therefore, is not merely a collection, but a new composition.… (more)
Member:violistpm
Title:A personal anthology
Authors:Jorge Luis Borges
Info:New York : Grove Weidenfeld, 1967.

A Personal Anthology by Jorge Luis Borges

A collection, edited and arranged by the author, of his favorite writings. It's described as being for a "reader who seeks a representative sampling of the great writer" and a "standard introduction to Borges in [English]."
I'd agree - there's a good mix here of short stories, essays and poetry. Some are well-known works which I've read more than once before' some more obscure (at least to me.)
As always, Borges' writing is lyrical, beautiful and thought-provoking.
1 vote AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
There are two very sad lines in the poem `Limits': `Among the books in my library (I have them before me)/There are some I shall never reopen'.
2 vote jon1lambert | Sep 21, 2009 |
Not Read
  wlchui | Aug 2, 2009 |

Jorge Luis Borgesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Arbasino, AlbertoContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vasta Dazzi, MariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Antología Personal is different from Nueva Antología Personal. Please do not combine them, thank you.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,575,564 books! | Top bar: Always visible