The Wishing Spell by Chris Colfer

The Wishing Spell (2012)

by Chris Colfer

Other authors: Brandon Dorman (Illustrator)

Series: The Land of Stories (Book 1)

Narrated by the author. Twins Alex and Connor find themselves in the land of fairy tales where all the characters have lives beyond the stories the twins know and love. The story of the Evil Queen from "Snow White" plays out to a clever backstory that explains her motives. Colfer's soprano tone is ideal for this children's story and he voices the various characters with entertaining aplomb. A nice choice for car trips. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
3.5/5 stars
You can find all my reviews here.

The Land of Stories is the world I wanted to be real with all my heart when I was 10. Alright, who do I think I'm kidding, I still do. I was never a girly girl but I've always loved fairytales and that's something I won't outgrow.
Colfer's story is fun, whimsical even,while still managing to get across lessons the way fairytales originally intended. Biggest complaint for me is a tie between predictability and a writing style I didn't love. Predictability because halfway through the book I had correctly guessed 3 major reveals that came in the final chapter, granted I'm much older than the target age group. The writing style, while not my favorite, wasn't enough to ruin the book for me. Colfer had a habit of using short choppier sentences and telling emotions of everyone rather than conveying how they were feeling in other ways. But mostly no matter what calamity came their way they had it solved within 2 pages. Too much good luck and coincidence for my taste. Still, I found it to be a fun read and am planning on reading more of the series.
Ending thought: Holy crap Brandon Dormer can draw. I want him to come do a portrait on my bedroom wall, his art style is just, wow. Whatever he got paid triple it. Perfect choice of illustrator for such a fun middle grade book, it has one of the most beautiful covers I've ever seen. ( )
  MarandaNicole | Jan 27, 2016 |
I wanted to like this book, I really, really did. I was looking forward to reading it and was so excited when I picked it up, but I could barely finish it. It just wasn't for me. I mean, it was okay, but it was really cliche and I'd seen it all before. Would some in the right age group like the book more than me? Probably. It wasn't a BAD book my any means, the illustrations were super cute, but it just wasn't as much for me as I was hoping it would be and that really bums me out. I'm so sad to only give this a 2.5 out of 5 stars, but it is what it is. I would still recommend this book to younger kids though, just to try it out and see if they like it, and if they do, hey! They've got a whole series of these books to read to keep them entertained for awhile. ( )
  Beammey | Jan 23, 2016 |
Very enjoyable take on classic fairy tales and "what happens next" after "happily ever after". Something for adults as well as children, on the old morals the tales attempted to teach and how modern children have seen them differently. An adventure story without making anything too scarey for small children. I saw one twist coming early on, but the other big surprise really snuck up on me, though looking back there were plenty of clues for it that I had missed. Also, check out the audio book, Colfer's variety of voices for all the many characters is lots of fun. ( )
  SF_fan_mae | Jan 15, 2016 |
I am not going to lie, I wasn't entirely expecting much from the guy from Glee. A couple other books by celebrities that were clearly people trying to capitalize on the kids book craze had made me a little skeptical, but I actually really loved this.

Alex and Connor get sucked into a book of fairy tales and get to meet many of Alex's favorite characters while they journey around fairy land gathering the items they need for the Wishing Spell so they can get themselves back home. There are lots of side stories with various fairy tale characters such as Goldilocks outlaw status and how in love Jack of Beanstalk fame is, there are various kingdoms and you get to see the characters after the story. There is also a great tale about the Wicked Queen from Snow White and how she became the way she was.

I am a huge fan of fairy tales so this book was almost perfect for me. I would have like to see a little more definitive growth in Alex and Connor. They are almost caricatures now, they are so extreme in their opositeness. Can't wait to see what happens next in what is apparently at least a trilogy, possibly a series? ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

Chris Colferprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dorman, BrandonIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031620157X, Hardcover)

Alex and Conner Bailey's world is about to change, in this fast-paced adventure that uniquely combines our modern day world with the enchanting realm of classic fairy tales.

The Land of Stories tells the tale of twins Alex and Conner. Through the mysterious powers of a cherished book of stories, they leave their world behind and find themselves in a foreign land full of wonder and magic where they come face-to-face with the fairy tale characters they grew up reading about.

But after a series of encounters with witches, wolves, goblins, and trolls alike, getting back home is going to be harder than they thought.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:58 -0400)

"Through the mysterious powers of a cherished book of stories, twins Alex and Conner leave their world behind and find themselves in a foreign land full of wonder and magic where they come face-to-face with the fairy tale characters they grew up reading about"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,125,552 books! | Top bar: Always visible