The Wishing Spell by Chris Colfer

The Wishing Spell (2012)

by Chris Colfer, Chris Colfer

Other authors: Brandon Dorman (Illustrator)

Series: The Land of Stories (Book 1)

The story takes a very, very long time to draw wind into its sails, but once the actual excursion into the Land of Stories begins it finds some legs. The idea is fairly basic: a world populated by characters from every classic fairy tale, all living in close proximity to one another and after their stories we know have already ended. Creativity shows up in new twists on how the tales interrelate. Red Riding Hood, for example, is behind Goldilocks' trip to the Three Bears House. The Prince Charmings are all brothers. The big bad wolf is leader of a roving gang of never-do-wells. These speculations were the story's primary pleasure, from my perspective. The main characters Alex and Connor are fun to adventure with: Alex for her love of fairy tales, feeling awestruck by most of their encounters and discoveries, and her brother Connor for his almost opposite attitude of not being terribly impressed.

My wife picked this up as a book to read to our kids, attracted by the author being a star from the TV series Glee. I was less enthused, setting aside trips to Narnia and adventures with Harry Potter in exchange for this. Our youngest kids were below the target audience, but my seven year old was interested enough to soldier on and we made it our nightly read. It's nothing fabulously literary, no new classic in the making, but there are no great faults either - much to my surprise, to be honest. The pacing needed to be faster and the book is overlong, but the humour and allusions are good entertainment for both children and the adults who read to them. ( )
  Cecrow | May 23, 2017 |
Colfer created a wonderful masterpiece of combining today with the classic fairy tales of the past. Alex and Connor were able to escape their world and enter a fantasy world through the books that they read. In this world, they meet the fairy tale characters that they have grown up reading. If they successfully find the items needed, they will be granted one wish; however, they are stopped by evil
...What will win, good or evil? Will they get the help needed to leave this storyland?

Recommended for upper elementary and middle school. ( )
  SraSpoer | Apr 18, 2017 |
My 11yo daughter recommended this one. It was a fun, entertaining twist on classic fairy tales. We'll be reading more of this series together. Highly recommended for middle grade fantasy readers! ( )
  JenW1 | Apr 13, 2017 |
This postmodern story is full of twists and turns. Twins Alex and Conner fall into a fairytale book and meet all the characters one could imagine and just as one would want them to to do in a good pastiche fiction story. the question then becomes will they ever gather all the objects they need in order to make the magic spell work that will send them home again? What fun it is to go on this unpredictable trip with them! ( )
  Reesa-Florom | Apr 8, 2017 |
I loved this story. It was fun and hooking. I kept wondering what happened to the storybook characters after they got their happily ever after. Some of the stories were even surprising. The two main characters were relatable.
  SydniePontillo | Apr 3, 2017 |

Chris Colferprimary authorall editionscalculated
Colfer, Chrismain authorall editionsconfirmed
Dorman, BrandonIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031620157X, Hardcover)

Alex and Conner Bailey's world is about to change, in this fast-paced adventure that uniquely combines our modern day world with the enchanting realm of classic fairy tales.

The Land of Stories tells the tale of twins Alex and Conner. Through the mysterious powers of a cherished book of stories, they leave their world behind and find themselves in a foreign land full of wonder and magic where they come face-to-face with the fairy tale characters they grew up reading about.

But after a series of encounters with witches, wolves, goblins, and trolls alike, getting back home is going to be harder than they thought.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:58 -0400)

"Through the mysterious powers of a cherished book of stories, twins Alex and Conner leave their world behind and find themselves in a foreign land full of wonder and magic where they come face-to-face with the fairy tale characters they grew up reading about"--… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,426,651 books! | Top bar: Always visible