The Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell by…

The Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell (2012)

by Chris Colfer

Other authors: Brandon Dorman (Illustrator)

Series: The Land of Stories (Book 1)

The Land of Stories is a book that takes all of your classic fairy tales and adds a new spin. The book is written for children new to the world of fairy tales as well as for adults that love the classics. The book is perfect to keep you on your toes and enjoy the stories you grew up with.The Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell follows Alex and her brother Connor down a rabbit hole, or, in this case, a fairy tale book. When the twins get their bearings they’re being helped by a frog man, herded into caves and eventually sent on an adventure to send themselves back home where their recently widowed mother awaits.

The two must face the evil queen, steal from red Riding Hood, befriend Cinderella and sneak into Snow White’s palace all while avoiding the lands knights, the treacherous wolfpack and the mute huntress. In this twisted world, your favorites are dismissed and given a new title. No more little miss Goldilocks, no more Jack and the beanstalk, no more towers. It’s a battle against time and forces to collect all the items that Alex and Connor need to get their wish. The secrets are out and the lies have been branded, all that’s left is pure, mortal abilities. Strength, bravery, intelligence and heart. But will it be enough to save Alex and Connor and send them back home? Will they want to go back home?

Chris Colfer’s created the ultimate fairy tale quilt, stuffed with all your favorites and patched together. If you grew up wanting to be a princess with your own godmother or envying the knights of the round table I would highly recommend you check this book out at the library and continue the joys of childhood memories that it takes you on. ( )
  PracticallyPerfect | Oct 6, 2014 |
Alex and Connor's life has changed drastically. Their father died just recently, and they had to move to a different house. But when the twin's (Alex and Connor) grandmother gives them an old book of fairytales, the two go on an adventure they never imagined. I really enjoyed the Land of Stories-The Wishing Spell because Chris Colfer gave a fantastic twist to the fairytales. ( )
  JSIS-Reviews | Jun 3, 2014 |
Colfer created a truly remarkable world with his debut novel, Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell! Twins, Alex and Connor find themselves transported to the 7 kingdoms, and the only way home again is to collect items for the Wishing Spell. But the Evil Queen is hot on their trail, seeking the spell for herself.

Such a pleasant twist on the classic fairy tales! I can think of no better recommendation for my elementary students! It would also be fantastic as a read-aloud for 3rd-5th graders! ( )
  philae_02 | May 25, 2014 |
2.5 stars for me!! I found the book to be kind of childish (I know its a kids book but still) The story was such a good idea, I mean, come on, falling into storyland sounds awesome but The Wishing Spell fell kind of flat. I found myself rolling my eyes at alot of the parts and thinking Ugh cant something exciting happen!! Even if something exciting did happen to the kids it just felt restrained and everything went the twins way too easy. ( )
  BookLoversLife | Apr 24, 2014 |
I was skeptical at first, but I have to admit that I enjoyed this book and got caught up in the story. ( )
  asomers | Feb 28, 2014 |

Chris Colferprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dorman, BrandonIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031620157X, Hardcover)

Alex and Conner Bailey's world is about to change, in this fast-paced adventure that uniquely combines our modern day world with the enchanting realm of classic fairy tales.

The Land of Stories tells the tale of twins Alex and Conner. Through the mysterious powers of a cherished book of stories, they leave their world behind and find themselves in a foreign land full of wonder and magic where they come face-to-face with the fairy tale characters they grew up reading about.

But after a series of encounters with witches, wolves, goblins, and trolls alike, getting back home is going to be harder than they thought.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:23 -0400)

"Through the mysterious powers of a cherished book of stories, twins Alex and Conner leave their world behind and find themselves in a foreign land full of wonder and magic where they come face-to-face with the fairy tale characters they grew up reading about"--… (more)

188 wanted2 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,320,565 books! | Top bar: Always visible