The Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell by…

The Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Chris Colfer

Member:Rigfield
Title:The Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell
Authors:Chris Colfer
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 448 pages
Rating:*****

The Wishing Spell by Chris Colfer (2012)

Alex and Connor Bailey discover that their family has been hiding a great secret when they fall into the book their grandmother gave them--The Land of Stories. They arrive in a world where fairy tales are real. This is the story of their journey to collect the ingredients of "The Wishing Spell", which is their only hope of going back home. Alex and Connor deal with uncertainty (as well as their dad's death the year before) in their own ways, and while they don't always agree, they love each other. Despite the not great narration, I sped through the audiobook. I would recommend this book to pretty much any kid in grades 4 to 6. It's a good introduction to longer books because of the familiar fairy tale aspect. ( )
  amythelibrarian | Apr 1, 2016 |
The Land of Stories is another fairy tale mash-up that has twin siblings, Alex and Connor Bailey, entering the realm of fairy tale characters. Of course, the trip there is one-way so the twins must find a way home. Soon after they enter the Land of Stories, they meet a very helpful anthropomorphic frog who tells them of a legendary spell that will grant any wish. They just need to collect the eight portions of the spell. As a result, they must travel to both dangerous and wondrous areas to acquire these items.
I always enjoy seeing how an author puts their own spin on beloved fairy tales characters in order to make them their own. The Land of Stories is an engaging and fun read.
I would recommend this book for 4th grade and up or anyone who loves fairy tale mash-ups. –RR
  WhitneyYPL | Feb 9, 2016 |
Narrated by the author. Twins Alex and Connor find themselves in the land of fairy tales where all the characters have lives beyond the stories the twins know and love. The story of the Evil Queen from "Snow White" plays out to a clever backstory that explains her motives. Colfer's soprano tone is ideal for this children's story and he voices the various characters with entertaining aplomb. A nice choice for car trips. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
3.5/5 stars
You can find all my reviews here.

The Land of Stories is the world I wanted to be real with all my heart when I was 10. Alright, who do I think I'm kidding, I still do. I was never a girly girl but I've always loved fairytales and that's something I won't outgrow.
Colfer's story is fun, whimsical even,while still managing to get across lessons the way fairytales originally intended. Biggest complaint for me is a tie between predictability and a writing style I didn't love. Predictability because halfway through the book I had correctly guessed 3 major reveals that came in the final chapter, granted I'm much older than the target age group. The writing style, while not my favorite, wasn't enough to ruin the book for me. Colfer had a habit of using short choppier sentences and telling emotions of everyone rather than conveying how they were feeling in other ways. But mostly no matter what calamity came their way they had it solved within 2 pages. Too much good luck and coincidence for my taste. Still, I found it to be a fun read and am planning on reading more of the series.
Ending thought: Holy crap Brandon Dormer can draw. I want him to come do a portrait on my bedroom wall, his art style is just, wow. Whatever he got paid triple it. Perfect choice of illustrator for such a fun middle grade book, it has one of the most beautiful covers I've ever seen. ( )
  MarandaNicole | Jan 27, 2016 |
I wanted to like this book, I really, really did. I was looking forward to reading it and was so excited when I picked it up, but I could barely finish it. It just wasn't for me. I mean, it was okay, but it was really cliche and I'd seen it all before. Would some in the right age group like the book more than me? Probably. It wasn't a BAD book my any means, the illustrations were super cute, but it just wasn't as much for me as I was hoping it would be and that really bums me out. I'm so sad to only give this a 2.5 out of 5 stars, but it is what it is. I would still recommend this book to younger kids though, just to try it out and see if they like it, and if they do, hey! They've got a whole series of these books to read to keep them entertained for awhile. ( )
  Beammey | Jan 23, 2016 |

Chris Colferprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Colfer, Chrismain authorall editionsconfirmed
Dorman, BrandonIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031620157X, Hardcover)

Alex and Conner Bailey's world is about to change, in this fast-paced adventure that uniquely combines our modern day world with the enchanting realm of classic fairy tales.

The Land of Stories tells the tale of twins Alex and Conner. Through the mysterious powers of a cherished book of stories, they leave their world behind and find themselves in a foreign land full of wonder and magic where they come face-to-face with the fairy tale characters they grew up reading about.

But after a series of encounters with witches, wolves, goblins, and trolls alike, getting back home is going to be harder than they thought.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:58 -0400)

"Through the mysterious powers of a cherished book of stories, twins Alex and Conner leave their world behind and find themselves in a foreign land full of wonder and magic where they come face-to-face with the fairy tale characters they grew up reading about"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,881 books! | Top bar: Always visible