Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons by…

Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons (2012)

by Eric Litwin, James Dean (Illustrator)

Pete the Cat has four groovy buttons on his yellow coat. What happens when they pop off, one by one? Pete keeps his cool, of course, and finds new reasons to delight in his coat. Even after all four buttons are gone, and his coat hangs open in a surfer style, Pete can still take pride in his awesome belly button! My family loves the character of this cool cat, and his books are often about staying calm and accepting change, because it's all good. This story continues that trend, with the same stylish and adorable illustrations as in other Pete stories. On the other hand, the rhythm of the text is a bit off here. While it is still very readable, the song-like lyricism of words is not as perfect as in other Pete the Cat picture books. This one feels as though it is trying to copy the pattern of Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes, using sentences that don't totally conform to that earlier model. We do enjoy this book, but I prefer the stories with Pete and his shoes (I Love My White Shoes and Rocking in My School Shoes). ( )
  nmhale | Dec 23, 2014 |
I love all of the "Pete the Cat" books because of the catchy little song that goes along with the story-telling. Great way to teach kids to have a positive attitude at the end of the day no matter what happens, it helps with counting the buttons, and the pictures are just adorable.
  zahammou | Dec 9, 2014 |
Cute episode of Pete the Cat. He's proud of his buttons but they keep popping off. I like how subtraction is taught to children. Pete the Cat is just plain cool! ( )
  Sheila1957 | Dec 7, 2014 |
The book is about Pete the cat who looses his buttons throughout the day. At the end, after he looses all his buttons, he is left with his belly button. This book is great because it clearly shows subtraction problems such as 4-1=3. Grade levels include k-2. ( )
  Arron_Chelmo | Dec 6, 2014 |
I enjoyed reading the book “Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons” by James Dean. One aspect I liked about this book was the plot. In the beginning of the story Pete has four buttons on his shirt. He sings a song about the four buttons on his shirt, “My buttons, my buttons, my four groovy buttons. My buttons, my buttons, my four groovy buttons.” As the story continues Pete loses a button, so now he only has three buttons. He again sings the song but he inserts the word three into the poem instead of four. Throughout Pete’s day, he keeps losing more and more buttons. Eventually he loses all of his buttons and has no more. Since his shirt is now undone, he looks down at himself and sees his belly button. He again sings his song, “My button, my button, still have my belly button. My button, my button, still have my belly button.” Another aspect of this story that I like is the illustrations. Each illustration took up the entire page. Each page included vibrant colors of yellow, green, red and blue. The vibrant colors really catch the attention of the readers. The big idea of this story is things come and go, but you always have yourself. ( )
  amulve2 | Dec 4, 2014 |

Eric Litwinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dean, JamesIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Pete the Cat is wearing his favorite shirt—the one with the four totally groovy buttons. But when one falls off, does Pete cry? Goodness, no! He just keeps on singing his song—after all, what could be groovier than three groovy buttons? Count down with Pete in this rocking new story from the creators of the bestselling Pete the Cat books.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:54 -0400)

Pete the cat loves the buttons on his shirt so much that he makes up a song about them, and even as the buttons pop off, one by one, he still finds a reason to sing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,433,347 books! | Top bar: Always visible