Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons by…

Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Eric Litwin, James Dean (Illustrator)

Member:Mmarcel2011
Title:Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons
Authors:Eric Litwin
Other authors:James Dean (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Hardcover, 40 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:easy, math, k-3

Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons by Eric Litwin (2012)

Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons is a book that helps with subtraction. Pete the Cat puts on his favorite shirt that has four groovy buttons. He sings his favorite song each time he wears the shirt. One button pops off the shirt and he is left with three buttons, but Pete isn't upset, he just changes his song about three buttons instead of four. The buttons keep falling off until Pete is left with just his belly button. This story allows the reader to do subtraction along with Pete until there are no buttons left. Stuff will come and go, but Pete doesn't get upset, he just keeps singing. Each student could wear their favorite shirt to class and come up with a math equation that goes along with that shirt. ( )
  EmilyDrennan | Apr 26, 2015 |
I like this book for several reasons. First, I like that the author incorporated math into the book by asking how many buttons were left after each one popped off. The illustrations show the math equation that goes with how many buttons were remaining on Pete's shirt. Second, I like the repetition of the song that Pete sings "my buttons, my buttons, my _ groovy buttons". This can be so fun for students to sing along to and engage them in the story during shared readings. Finally, I like that the message of the story is that even though life does not always go the way we would like it to, we should not cry about it! ( )
  estree1 | Mar 25, 2015 |
Pete the Cat starts out with four buttons, but through fun, singsongy text he ends up with only his belly button, and he is perfectly fine with that. “Stuff will come and stuff will go. But do we cry? Goodness, no! We keep on singing.”
  kacieholt | Mar 23, 2015 |
My first Pete the Cat- this is a fun one. The number theme is fun as well. Pete is a nice little guy with a positive spirit. As far as early readers go, this one is worth doing with a young child. I wouldn't mind reading it over and over with them. ( )
  herethere | Mar 18, 2015 |
This book was so cute! I loved it! For starters, it is a fun and engaging book! The students would actually get to sing the song on each page, as well as do some simple math! This book obviously have a lot of repetition. This book follows Pete throughout the book starting with four buttons on his shirt. Throughout the book he keeps losing one at a time, and the reader is asked how many buttons he has left after each one falls off! I think it's great that the book actually interacts with the reader and has a fun little song to sing throughout it. The illustrations were bright and colorful, yet repetitive. It makes sense that the illustrations are repetitive because the book itself is. Each time Pete loses a button, he stresses the importance that it is o.k because things (buttons) come and go! That is the main message of the book and it ends on a strong note exemplifying that "I guess it simply goes to show that stuff will come and stuff will go. But do we cry? Goodness, no! We keep on singing." I think that is a really powerful message to relay to this age group because they need to realize that not everything in life is concrete, and throughout there lives, things and people will come and go, but they can't let that get them down; they need to keep a positive attitude and keep on singing! ( )
  CRoss13 | Feb 23, 2015 |

Eric Litwinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dean, JamesIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Pete the Cat is wearing his favorite shirt—the one with the four totally groovy buttons. But when one falls off, does Pete cry? Goodness, no! He just keeps on singing his song—after all, what could be groovier than three groovy buttons? Count down with Pete in this rocking new story from the creators of the bestselling Pete the Cat books.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:54 -0400)

Pete the cat loves the buttons on his shirt so much that he makes up a song about them, and even as the buttons pop off, one by one, he still finds a reason to sing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,787,274 books! | Top bar: Always visible