Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons by…

Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Eric Litwin, James Dean (Illustrator)

Member:Mmarcel2011
Title:Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons
Authors:Eric Litwin
Other authors:James Dean (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Hardcover, 40 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:easy, math, k-3

Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons by Eric Litwin (2012)

This book was so cute! I loved it! For starters, it is a fun and engaging book! The students would actually get to sing the song on each page, as well as do some simple math! This book obviously have a lot of repetition. This book follows Pete throughout the book starting with four buttons on his shirt. Throughout the book he keeps losing one at a time, and the reader is asked how many buttons he has left after each one falls off! I think it's great that the book actually interacts with the reader and has a fun little song to sing throughout it. The illustrations were bright and colorful, yet repetitive. It makes sense that the illustrations are repetitive because the book itself is. Each time Pete loses a button, he stresses the importance that it is o.k because things (buttons) come and go! That is the main message of the book and it ends on a strong note exemplifying that "I guess it simply goes to show that stuff will come and stuff will go. But do we cry? Goodness, no! We keep on singing." I think that is a really powerful message to relay to this age group because they need to realize that not everything in life is concrete, and throughout there lives, things and people will come and go, but they can't let that get them down; they need to keep a positive attitude and keep on singing! ( )
  CRoss13 | Feb 23, 2015 |
There are multiple reasons I really enjoyed this book. The first reason is the writing and language of the book. The story incorporates a catchy song. The song aids students in learning how to subtract single numbers. It also helps keep the readers interested and engaged. A second reason I enjoyed this book is due to the plot. Once Pete the Cat but on his favorite shirt, you never knew what silly thing he was going to do next. Page by Page he would loose a button, and there was suspense to find out what would happen when they were all gone. Once Pete lost his last button he was not upset. He then discovered his belly button and continued to sing his catchy song. The main message from this story is "not to cry over spilled milk". Even though Pete had lost all his buttons, he still found something to be positive about. ( )
  acaine1 | Feb 12, 2015 |
This book is about a cat named Pete who has a jacket but something happens to his jacket but he does not mind.
  margaritamunoz14 | Feb 8, 2015 |
As Pete the Cat goes along he starts with 4 buttons. As the buttons come off he continues to sing his song. When he runs out of buttons he realizes there's no reason to be sad because he has one button left. His belly button!
  MelindaBoland | Jan 10, 2015 |
Pete the Cat has four groovy buttons on his yellow coat. What happens when they pop off, one by one? Pete keeps his cool, of course, and finds new reasons to delight in his coat. Even after all four buttons are gone, and his coat hangs open in a surfer style, Pete can still take pride in his awesome belly button! My family loves the character of this cool cat, and his books are often about staying calm and accepting change, because it's all good. This story continues that trend, with the same stylish and adorable illustrations as in other Pete stories. On the other hand, the rhythm of the text is a bit off here. While it is still very readable, the song-like lyricism of words is not as perfect as in other Pete the Cat picture books. This one feels as though it is trying to copy the pattern of Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes, using sentences that don't totally conform to that earlier model. We do enjoy this book, but I prefer the stories with Pete and his shoes (I Love My White Shoes and Rocking in My School Shoes). ( )
  nmhale | Dec 23, 2014 |

Eric Litwinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dean, JamesIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Pete the Cat is wearing his favorite shirt—the one with the four totally groovy buttons. But when one falls off, does Pete cry? Goodness, no! He just keeps on singing his song—after all, what could be groovier than three groovy buttons? Count down with Pete in this rocking new story from the creators of the bestselling Pete the Cat books.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:54 -0400)

Pete the cat loves the buttons on his shirt so much that he makes up a song about them, and even as the buttons pop off, one by one, he still finds a reason to sing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,702,924 books! | Top bar: Always visible