Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons by…

Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Eric Litwin, James Dean (Illustrator)

Member:Mmarcel2011
Title:Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons
Authors:Eric Litwin
Other authors:James Dean (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Hardcover, 40 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:easy, math, k-3

Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons by Eric Litwin (2012)

I love all of the "Pete the Cat" books because of the catchy little song that goes along with the story-telling. Great way to teach kids to have a positive attitude at the end of the day no matter what happens, it helps with counting the buttons, and the pictures are just adorable.
  zahammou | Dec 9, 2014 |
Cute episode of Pete the Cat. He's proud of his buttons but they keep popping off. I like how subtraction is taught to children. Pete the Cat is just plain cool! ( )
  Sheila1957 | Dec 7, 2014 |
The book is about Pete the cat who looses his buttons throughout the day. At the end, after he looses all his buttons, he is left with his belly button. This book is great because it clearly shows subtraction problems such as 4-1=3. Grade levels include k-2. ( )
  Arron_Chelmo | Dec 6, 2014 |
I enjoyed reading the book “Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons” by James Dean. One aspect I liked about this book was the plot. In the beginning of the story Pete has four buttons on his shirt. He sings a song about the four buttons on his shirt, “My buttons, my buttons, my four groovy buttons. My buttons, my buttons, my four groovy buttons.” As the story continues Pete loses a button, so now he only has three buttons. He again sings the song but he inserts the word three into the poem instead of four. Throughout Pete’s day, he keeps losing more and more buttons. Eventually he loses all of his buttons and has no more. Since his shirt is now undone, he looks down at himself and sees his belly button. He again sings his song, “My button, my button, still have my belly button. My button, my button, still have my belly button.” Another aspect of this story that I like is the illustrations. Each illustration took up the entire page. Each page included vibrant colors of yellow, green, red and blue. The vibrant colors really catch the attention of the readers. The big idea of this story is things come and go, but you always have yourself. ( )
  amulve2 | Dec 4, 2014 |
Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons
“Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons” by Eric Litwin is a fun math book with catchy phrases that would be great for shared reading. My youngest son and I purchased this book at his school book fair. At first I was hesitant because it seemed to be too easy of a book for him…..it turned out we both loved it! Each page has Pete the Cat with a less then amused face on the page. The illustrations are painted as though an elementary school student painted them and used bright colors to fill both pages. The text stands out in black with a font that looks handwritten; however, the numbers are in a different color. For example, the word “four” in my “four groovy buttons” would be a different color then the rest of the text. Additionally, there are several repeated phrases throughout the book. “My buttons, my buttons, my four groovy buttons” (or whatever number is appropriate for the phrase) and “how many buttons are left” are used throughout the book. As each button pops off the reader subtracts and is able to incorporate math skills with early literacy! Great book! The big idea is to tell a story and incorporate math for fun! ( )
  areyno5 | Nov 24, 2014 |

Eric Litwinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dean, JamesIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Pete the Cat is wearing his favorite shirt—the one with the four totally groovy buttons. But when one falls off, does Pete cry? Goodness, no! He just keeps on singing his song—after all, what could be groovier than three groovy buttons? Count down with Pete in this rocking new story from the creators of the bestselling Pete the Cat books.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:54 -0400)

Pete the cat loves the buttons on his shirt so much that he makes up a song about them, and even as the buttons pop off, one by one, he still finds a reason to sing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,374,287 books! | Top bar: Always visible