Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons by…

Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Eric Litwin, James Dean (Illustrator)

Member:Mmarcel2011
Title:Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons
Authors:Eric Litwin
Other authors:James Dean (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Hardcover, 40 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:easy, math, k-3

Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons by Eric Litwin (2012)

Recently added bykthompson5647, Briana.Chaney, pugkhj, private library, estout, Viona1987, ahle, arak, nkoffler, sehuff

Review: The book is about Pete losing his buttons on his shirt as he goes throughout his day. Pete isn't sad though because he knows that things come and go. The book introduces children to subtraction and numbers. Comments: I think this is a great book to introduce children to numbers and subtraction in a fun and engaging way. I have read a different Pete the Cat book and enjoyed that one also. The artwork is full of bright colors and in a cartoon artistic style. Sense you are introducing the child to numbers and subtraction I think the story being very repetitive is effective. The focus is not telling a involved story, but rather introducing them to new concepts that can be a little difficult particularly subtraction. ( )
  Viona1987 | Dec 4, 2016 |
Genre: Counting books

This story follows the day of Pete the Cat. As he is wearing his favorite shirt with four buttons, each falls off one by one, leaving him with nothing but his belly button.

This book is an introduction to doing math. In the text, there are equations to familiarize kids with what math looks like on paper. I really like that the author includes equations because it can help kids start to think about the way math works and the concept of subtraction. I think it can be argued that this book's theme is resilience. Pete does not get upset about the little things, he keeps going on with a positive attitude and singing his song.
This could be used in a classroom to talk about early counting concepts. One could teach counting while using buttons instead of just straight numbers. I think the use of buttons is a great way to make something hard and boring turn into something fun and interactive.
  ahle | Dec 3, 2016 |
Here he comes again...That cool cat and his shoes....This third book was so cute...my Kindergarten ESL students love the Pete the Cat books..I told them I was going to get the new book. And trust me, it was worth it. I think I was more excited than they were. It's a great read aloud for kids in grades K-2; Features math sentences as well...A definite must have for that Pete the Cat fan! ( )
  nkoffler | Nov 30, 2016 |
Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons is a great book for teaching subtraction and rhythm in writing! Pete the Cat keeps losing his buttons, but don't worry, he doesn't cry!
  sehuff | Nov 29, 2016 |
Eric Litwin has found his shtick, and I wholeheartedly approve. Through the combination of vibrant, silly illustrations and the power of music, Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons captures the attention of 99.9% of small children everywhere. While most of Litwin's work tends to focus on a feel-good life lesson, he changes his tune here to create a book that focuses on simple computation, similar to the "5 Little Monkeys" refrain. As Pete skates through life, losing a button at a time, we are reminded to not fret over small losses but also to focus on the illustration and verify how many buttons Pete has left. Children are counting, being exposed to simple number sentences, making predictions, identifying numerals, attending to text, and being encouraged to "not sweat the small stuff" all in a few pages. While the refrain might not be the catchiest, the promise of music keeps very small eyes glued to the page, waiting for the next opportunity to burst into song. ( )
  lscappel | Nov 29, 2016 |

Eric Litwinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dean, JamesIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Pete the Cat is wearing his favorite shirt—the one with the four totally groovy buttons. But when one falls off, does Pete cry? Goodness, no! He just keeps on singing his song—after all, what could be groovier than three groovy buttons? Count down with Pete in this rocking new story from the creators of the bestselling Pete the Cat books.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:35 -0400)

Pete the cat loves the buttons on his shirt so much that he makes up a song about them, and even as the buttons pop off, one by one, he still finds a reason to sing.

143 wanted2 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,811,557 books! | Top bar: Always visible