The Survival of Thomas Ford by John A. A.…

The Survival of Thomas Ford (edition 2011)

by John A. A. Logan

Member:larocka
Title:The Survival of Thomas Ford
Authors:John A. A. Logan
Info:White Butterfly Press (2011), Kindle Edition, 247 pages
Collections:Kindle, Your library
Rating:***1/2

The Survival of Thomas Ford by John A. A. Logan

A bad car crash, then a sociopathic boy and his friend plus a man suffering from post-survival guilt are the book's characters, all perfectly portrayed by Logan's writing talents. I did not want to stop reading until the last page forced my reading to end. ( )
  33racoonie | Dec 25, 2013 |
Thomas Ford is haunted… Okay, not in the literal sense.

Forced off a narrow road into a Scottish Loch, Thomas and his wife had mere moments to escape from their car as it filled with water. What haunts Thomas when he awakes from an almost seven week coma is he couldn’t get his wife out of the car. That, and the strange, bird-like profile of the other driver.

I found this a compelling read, wanting to know what happened next and reading it almost straight through without stopping. It’s a dark and broody novel, so if you’re looking for unicorns and puppies, I’d look elsewhere. How to pigeonhole it? Well, it’s part mystery, part drama as Thomas feels compelled to find the bird-like driver but doesn’t necessarily have to look that hard; it’s a cautionary ‘be careful what you wish for’ tale, but one with a punch.

John has a superb eye for characterisation, creating believable people with real lives - one of the hardest tricks for a lot of authors and one he manages with ease. Having spent time in Scotland, I can almost recognise some of them. You don’t need to have been there to enjoy this book, though, as I think he’s conveyed the sense of place and time as well as his characters.

I already have said this is probably the best book I’ve read all year and after a few weeks’ reflection, I can’t say that opinion has changed. I admit to liking a lot of Scottish authors, but then I like a lot of French, Spanish, American, English, Japanese [add your favourite here], too, so I don’t think bias has anything to do with it.

If you like your books realistic (well, mostly) and as a window into a world you’ve never seen, this is a great example. I’m off to read it again. ( )
  deanfetzer | May 25, 2012 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,963,684 books! | Top bar: Always visible