Iron West by Doug TenNapel

Iron West (2006)

by Doug TenNapel

1 list (1) 55 (1) alien (1) American West (2) comic (4) comic book (1) comics (5) Comix (1) fantasy (4) fiction (6) graphic (3) graphic novel (17) graphic novels (5) heroism (1) humor (7) image (3) marriage (1) owned (2) paperback (2) read (6) robots (4) Sasquatch (3) science fiction (9) steampunk (8) suggestions (1) to-read (2) trains (2) weird (1) western (10) YA (3)

Just too crazy of a story line.

Miners unearth alien metal ball that spawns/mines an army of metal men. Their goal is to kill people.

Meanwhile a fleeing criminal runs into them. They attack his town.

Yada Yada Yada he gets the girl and saves the town with the help of Sasquatch and a medicine man.

My 7th grader could barely follow the story, it was so odd he thought he didn't. But he actually did.

The Loch Ness Monster also makes an appearance.

Dreesie | Apr 12, 2016 |
I was very impressed with the drawing and overall creativeness of this work. I really enjoy TenNapel, add that to a good western story, a reluctant hero, robots and sasquatch, what can you do but get on board and enjoy the ride. ( )
  learn2laugh | Sep 14, 2014 |
Absolutely brilliant. I loved this one and think it has moved up to being my favourite of TenNapel's books, and I've read a good many of them now. This one is perfectly suitable as a YA-Adult read. I may be partial to this because I am a sucker for both Westerns and Steampunk and Doug has put these two together brilliantly. Only Doug TenNapel could put together the motley crew of cowboys, robots, Sasquatch, the Loch Ness Monster, a train Transformer-type dude, and a lovely lady of the evening in distress AND make it work beautifully without a hitch. Seamlessly we get a wonderful story of courage, stepping up to the plate, the need for community to rally together and the pitfalls of technology. All this with a surprise twist ending gives a rollicking great story. The art? What can I say but it's Mr. TenNapel at some of his finest! Can you tell I really loved this book?! ( )
  ElizaJane | Nov 5, 2013 |
Man do I love me a good Western, especially a steampunky one with evil automatons and dastardly heroes. ( )
  akmargie | Apr 4, 2013 |
This graphic novel is about a man named Preston Struck. He is a typical outlaw; always cheating, lying and fleeting the scene. He comes across trouble one day as he leaves the town saloon to escape being arrested. He runs into iron aliens, however, and longs to be captured by the humans. He meets an old indian medicine man, Two Rivers, and his accomplice "Sasquatch". They, along with his lovely mistress talk him into doing what is right. After a fierce battle against the iron people the town's sheriff is killed. Struck takes his place and defends, what has become, "his" town. Love, justice and aliens, what else could you ask for?

I think the story was really funny. I could see a lot of it being developed into a movie maybe. I really enjoyed this type of story; I had actually never read one. I think integrating this type of literature in a classroom may help engage all of my students. I'm not sure that I would have it as assigned reading because it is pretty easy. I might use it as an after lunch/recess sort of book where the students would just follow along and maybe act out the characters.

I really liked it, like I said. It was my first graphic novel ever. I would recommend it to kids who dislike reading typical literature. It had great humor and I loved how he became the good guy. I think it goes to show that people are a lot better than they think they are a lot of times. It just took someone believing in him, and he became what everyone needed him to be. ( )
1 vote ShelbyJoMcKay | Feb 16, 2011 |
TenNapel has created an old fashioned story of redemption. However, while the story is old fashioned, the dialogue is not. It’s anachronistic, initially to distraction. It should also be noted that TenNapel is averse to using profanity--which is fine since the book he’s creating isn’t Deadwood. However, in the cases where characters are expressing some things forcefully, it’s obvious that the author was sidestepping potentially rough language.

Iron West is my favorite TenNapel book to date. It isn't deep and it won't change your life, but it might just bring you a little inner peace. In case you're still unsure, allow me to recount the virtues of Iron West: Robots, cowboy hats, Big Foot, a giant aquatic monster, gunfights galore and a transforming train. Enjoy.
added by stephmo | editIGN Comics, Hillary Goldstein (Jul 13, 2006)

Preston Struck is an incompetent outlaw with a heart of fool's gold. He discovers an army of metal men bent on destroying central California. While Struck avoids any form of heroism, he gets a little help from a magical old shaman and his sidekick Sasquatch. Struck is going to need all the help he can get because he's deputized just as the mechanical men have taken over the railroad and are mutating the train into a giant demonic iron monster.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,003,432 books! | Top bar: Always visible