The Lost Code: Book One of the Atlanteans by…

The Lost Code: Book One of the Atlanteans (edition 2012)

by Kevin Emerson

Member:Bookswithbite
Title:The Lost Code: Book One of the Atlanteans
Authors:Kevin Emerson
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2012), Hardcover, 448 pages
Rating:*****

The Lost Code by Braylynn Crawford

Yet another Nook Free Friday offering which would have greatly benefited from a strong editing hand--this novel was interesting in theme, but suffered greatly in the telling. Other reviews cover that aspect in more detail. I did enjoy the fast read, but I won't be looking too hard for the sequel. ( )
  Prop2gether | Dec 18, 2013 |
When I first heard about this book, I was intrigued. I put it on my TBR list, and then had an opportunity to receive an ARC. OF COURSE, I took it!

I was hooked from page 1. Seriously. I just HAD to know what was going on and what was going to happen to Owen. I loved walking the path with him and figuring things out as he did. Sometimes I feel like the main purpose is to be all 'I have a secret and you have to wait until the last page to figure it out' and that drives me insane. Here, I never once felt like Emerson was keeping secrets from me-I was allowed to discover things right along with Owen, if that makes any sense.

The Lost Code has a fantastic premise, and one that I won't spoil for you here since it's not in the synopsis. Just rest assured that it's not done often, if ever. And it's done well here. Fast-paced, tightly woven, and an edge-of-your-seat read in places.

I loved the story and I love where it could be headed. I'm seriously looking forward to the next books in this series to see if any of my theories are going to pan out. Also because I just HAVE to know what happens. The final character mash-up had me on the edge of my seat, so I really need to know where that's going. Don't worry, it's not a love triangle or anything. It's just a WHOA, I DID NOT SEE THAT COMING type of thing.

Another thing, characters: I *really* like it when a male author makes his protag male also. It's so much more believable and realistic. Plus, Emerson writes a really fantastic male character. Every one of them was spot-on. I really liked his female characters too, but the guys were just spectacular. I don't mean that in a super-duper-character-crush kind of way. I mean it in a 'these are real people' kind of way.

Kevin Emerson is a seriously talented writer, and I'm enthusiastic about his future projects. The Lost Code gets a 'Pick Me' rating for its awesomeness!

Content Advisory:
Language: Mild
Sexuality: Mild
Violence: Moderate
Mature Themes: death, abandonment, abuse of authority, dystopia, apocalpyse

Find Kevin online:
Twitter
Goodreads
Facebook
Website ( )
  emmyson | Oct 9, 2013 |
I’ll start off by saying that Kevin Emerson’s The Lost Code has major potential. But, if the actual writing is poor, than creativity virtually does nothing. So, what I’m getting at is that The Lost Code was definitely creative, but it lacked the execution it desperately needed.

I love stories about and/or relating to mythology (especially Greek)! And combine a story with mythological elements with a dystopian-like environment? Bingo! So, naturally, when I heard about The Lost Code, I was immediately enthralled. However, at about page 50, it started to grow tedious – for 4 particular reasons, which I will now examine more specifically.

1). THE CHARACTERS & ROMANCE
I have two words to describe the characters in The Lost Code: underdeveloped and stereotypical.
I find it truly difficult to enjoy a book when it’s characters are as stereotypical and underdeveloped as they were in The Lost Code. These characters have no real personalities; they simply have simple human characteristics plunged together without much further development or explanations; thus making it extraordinarily hard for me (or any other reader) to emotionally connect with these characters. The characters in The Lost Code didn’t feel like real people; they’re missing that extra layer of depth that they desperately needed.
        This being said, some characters in the story were stereotyped enormously – which wasn’t exactly a “star-raising” factor either. You have your typical computer jock (Owen) being bullied by the “captain of the football team campgrounds” (Leech) with his “gang” (particularly Jalin) and – of course – the crush’s beautiful, athletic love interest (Astrid).
        And if all that simply isn’t enough evidence against the book, I was never able to connect with our main character: 15-year-old Owen Parker. To put it simply, he got on my nerves quite a few times throughout the story. It was pure torture to have Owen narrate the story…

The romance in The Lost Code simply didn’t work for me. We definitely have some insta-love on Owen’s part (he only sees Lily once, and after that single interaction he begins wondering if he “loves Lily.” Come on Owen!)
        Besides this fact, I just simply never saw any SPARK between Owen and Lily; their romance just simply didn’t seem developed enough for it to seem – to me – like a true romantic relationship. Like the majority of the book, it simply needed more depth.

2). THE WRITING
The writing in The Lost Code was very poor and, at times, caused me great frustration.
The sentences in which this book was written were short and incomplex with the vocabulary range of about a 3rd grader. Additionally, we spend a lot of time with mostly unproductive tedious details and lengthy paragraphs about the summer camp the book is set in, instead of fleshing out the world and characters (which both SO needed extra development). With over 400 pages, I recall constantly muttering to myself:

By the time the book actually got to its point, the book was already 75% done. So, as you can imagine, I honestly didn’t even care that by the ending the book was starting to get stronger. It was just so irrelevant!
        And there were so many dystopian - like terms that were never explained in depth, which, at times, became quite confusing and frustrating.
        One of my greatest pet-peeves in stories is when a book tells, but doesn’t show. And, frankly, that’s exactly how the writing was in The Lost Code. This made even the shortest paragraph DRAGGGGG on for what seems like hours.
        This being said, there was no need for inferencing in this story. I, personally, like stories where you actually have to actually think – but, because of the “telling but not showing”, I felt like I never had to think – everything was spelled out for me in the text.

For example, if I was looking for an answer to a question I had regarding the story, I wouldn’t need to infer; I could just simply go back and find it – literally – in the book; because it would – most likely – be spelled out right in front of me. This really did bother me a lot!

3). THE WORLD-BUILDING
The world-building in The Lost Code made no sense at all.
When I’m reading a story with even the tiniest bit of a dystopian element, I find it vital to have a backstory that is logical and makes sense – without leaving me with any questions I should still have about the world (because, supposedly, if the world-building is excellent, than I really shouldn’t have any questions about it – right?)
        There were so many questions I had – and still do – about the world-building in The Lost Code.

The world, in Owen’s eyes, is not a pretty place. Humans haven’t taken care of the Earth, and all the icecaps have melted – submerging the world underwater. Okay…so far so good, right?
        Now it all starts to get “iffy” when Emerson explains some scientist’s genius invention of the … (wait for it) … “Life-Saving” Domes!

(Yep, just the word dome deserves a face-palm in itself).

So Emerson’s explanation is that some “brilliant” scientists have come up with an idea that allows a maximum of 200,000 people to live in a single six-kilometer dome – all while keeping the sun’s radiation and the water out of the dome.
        This in itself brings in a whole bunch of questions – the majority of which were never explained. Some of the most major questions I have regarding the world-building are:

• How could people even begin to build this massive dome while the world is supposedly submerged in water?
• And where is everyone else while these people are building the dome? The world around the dome is (supposedly) submerged underwater, so how are people possibly able to stay alive during the time the domes were being built?
• How did the builders manage to keep the water from coming into the dome?
• How did people get inside the dome without letting water from the outside inside with them?

All in all, The Lost Code was definitely creative and had a huge amount of potential. However, its execution just didn’t catch up with the high level of creativity the plot had. I generally wouldn’t recommend this book (except – possibly – fans of a less creative Percy Jackson). ( )
  ZoeSNicholson | Sep 16, 2013 |
Another great read...and another long wait for the sequel. ( )
  socango | Apr 2, 2013 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: A really original dystopia filled with mystery, Greek mythology and well-rounded cast of characters — but also a very slow plot.

Opening Sentence: The morning after I arrived at Camp Eden, I drowned for the first time.

The Review:

So this book could probably have been a hundred pages shorter. The thing is, without those hundred pages, I’m not sure Emerson could’ve pulled off the summer-camp-on-a-dying-planet aspect off. Humanity is tearing Earth to pieces, making this novel one of the more depressing dystopian futures I’ve read recently. Because The Lost Code is based so firmly on the Atlantean mythos, I’m going to jump over expanding on the plot by saying it’s a summer camp-adventure-mystery. (Once you read it, that will totally make sense…) The plot is unique and interesting, but this is a slow paced novel. Hopefully the sequel will be more action-packed in the first half and we won’t spend so much time wishing the characters would just do something already.

Emerson’s writing style really brings out well rounded characters — they’re one of the main reason I managed to keep reading. Lily, the love interest, is in my opinion the most well-developed of the lot, and much more likable than our narrator. For some reason Emerson never tells us Owen’s age (or maybe he did and I completely missed it, but I don’t think so. I was watching for it.) though he’s classified with the older campers. It’s weird, because Owen’s narrative voice reads a lot more like a middle grade novel than a young adult. He just sounds so young, especially compared to Lily — who sounds the way I expect a YA character to be. While he’s a sympathetic hero, his actions don’t always match with the way Emerson paints him. Owen was raised in a rough environment — even for a dystopia — I expected more maturity from him. A lot of the time, however, his actions are just immature. (Boys will be boys, right?) Hopefully, with the continuation of the series we’ll see Owen grow into himself more.

The writing in this novel is sometimes off-putting. Emerson has a great vocabulary and isn’t afraid to use it. While it helps flesh out characters and set the scene brilliantly, it also pulled me out of the story more than a few times. Teenagers are allowed to have a large vocabulary — but most of them won’t use it in normal conversation. The world-building in The Lost Code was phenomenal. It’s what set up the mystery that kept the first half of the novel from moving at turtle-pace.

I think this book was probably pitched as a Percy Jackson for the YA crowd — with the summer camp and Atlantis that’s what I expected, anyway. It’s not a bad book — the series itself shows considerable promise — but the lag time between the first chapter and actual action in The Lost Code will frustrate people who loved Percy and want a cast of characters willing to take action.

Notable Scene:

“Uh-oh,” Aliah huffed. “Are you talking theories again?”

“Yes, and who cares how?” said Lily.

“I do,” Marco said proudly. “I haven’t had a sip of bug juice yet.”

“Well, the point is,” said Lilly, “Eden needs to experiment on someone. Who better to do their tests on than a bunch of camp kids especially cryos who have no parents to complain to?”

That doesn’t explain me,” I offered.

“It doesn’t explain a lot of things,” said Aliah.

The Atlanteans Series:

1. The Lost Code

FTC Advisory: Katherine Tegen Books provided me with a copy of The Lost Code. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Sep 17, 2012 |

In the year 2086, Camp Eden promises summer "the way things used to be," back before the oceans rose and modern civilization sank into chaos. Located inside the EdenWest BioDome, the camp is an oasis of pine trees, cool water, and rustic charm.
But all at Camp Eden is not what it seems.
No one will know this better than fifteen-year-old Owen Parker. A strange underwater vision, even stranger wounds on Owen's neck, and a cryptic warning from the enchanting lifeguard Lilly hint at a mystery that will take Owen deep beneath Lake Eden and even deeper into the past. What he discovers could give him the chance to save the tattered planet. But first, Owen will have to escape Camp Eden alive. . . .

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062062794, Hardcover)

What is oldest will be new, what was lost shall be found.

The ozone is ravaged, ocean levels have risen, and the sun is a daily enemy.

But global climate change is not something new in the Earth's history.

No one will know this better than less-than-ordinary Owen Parker, who is about to discover that he is the descendant of a highly advanced ancient race—a race that took their technology too far and almost destroyed the Earth in the process.

Now it is Owen's turn to make right in his world what went wrong thousands of years ago. If Owen can unlock the lost code in his very genes, he may rediscover the forgotten knowledge of his ancestry . . . and that less-than-ordinary can evolve into extraordinary.

Kevin Emerson's thrilling novel is Book One of the Atlanteans series—perilous adventures in a grimly plausible dystopian future, fueled by high-stakes action, budding romance, and a provoc-ative question: What would you do if you had the power to save humanity from its own self-destruction?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:11 -0400)

"In a world ravaged by global warming, teenage Owen Parker discovers that he may be the descendant of a highly advanced, ancient race, with whose knowledge he may be able to save the earth from self-destruction"--

Braylynn Crawford is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,658,913 books! | Top bar: Always visible