Spartacus: Rebellion (Spartacus 2) by Ben…

Spartacus: Rebellion (Spartacus 2) (edition 2012)

by Ben Kane

28None387,104 (3.83)1
Member:aliklein
Title:Spartacus: Rebellion (Spartacus 2)
Authors:Ben Kane
Info:Preface Publishing (2012), Hardcover, 416 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:audiobook, Spartacus, Ancient Rome, historical fiction, battles, betrayal

Spartacus: Rebellion by Ben Kane

Spartacus Rebellion is part two of Ben Kane’s 2-part set on Spartacus. Kane had intended to write just one book, but he got so caught up in the writing that it turned into two. I have to say I got just as caught up in the reading and am glad for the extra book full of details.

Book 2 starts up very shortly after the end of book one. (So if you haven’t read the first book start there!). Spartacus and the army are nearing the Alps, as much as he would like to continue on over and then back home to Thrace, he is afraid the army won’t follow him. On top of that he has heard that there has been a recent victory by Rome in his home territories which would make it less appealing to his followers should they find out about it.

Spartacus has a hard choice to make and as many who know his story know, at the foot of the Alps he turns back south and makes it all the way back to the tip of the boot. Rumors of a rebellion on the island of Sicily got his attention. He thinks it’s possible if they can get a few ships to get them across the strait, that they would be welcomed by the slave population and dispatch the 2 legions currently trying to keep the peace. It would take years for the Romans to root them out of there, if ever.

Kane tried to keep all the known facts about Spartacus and much of the speculation in the book for historical accuracy. But since there is so written material that has survived about him, it leaves a lot of room for Kane to write a wonderful story. I haven’t seen any of the movies about Spartacus, so this is the first time that someone has brought him to life for me. I think Ben Kane did an excellent job. I’ve found him to be a great storyteller and this book is no exception. As a matter of fact I think he has only gotten better with each successive book! I recommend all of Ben Kane’s books. ( )
  readafew | Jun 10, 2013 |
I wish this series would go on and on, but well that just would not be possible nor historically accurate right? (unless!!! you could go on with Carbo’s story!? please? pretty please?) now the previous book (Spartacus: Gladiator) had all the action and battle scenes. This one has battle scenes times two. EPIC battle scenes. Well written battle scenes that you feel like this should be played out as a movie just to see how it looks like.

The plot of the book is well done like the last one (I do recommend you read Spartacus: Gladiator before jumping into this one). There’s slightly less intrigue, way more action and fighting, and a lot more memorable quotes to read. I’d say the best part would be Carbo’s mission with Navio (love those two secondary characters not only did they provide some comic relief but seeing Carbo develop character wise was excellent to follow through in the book).

The last and final battle scene was definitely worth reading and I like how it was through Carbo’s perspective. I felt a bit cheated that Carbo didn’t get what he wanted in the end, but I suppose it’s to make it as historically accurate as possible. The author’s note in the end provided a lot of information and the glossary in the back as helps as well because there’s plenty of terminology that was new to me (I’m not well versed in Roman history).

I really wish this could go on in Carbo’s point of view, his story was going towards something with lots of potential and it sounded so interesting. Otherwise, the book was well worth the read. Definitely recommended for history buffs and Roman history lovers out there. ( )
  sensitivemuse | May 27, 2013 |
This is a worthy sequel to Spartacus: The Gladiator. I thoroughly enjoyed that first book in this series and it concludes as it must in Spartacus: Rebellion. Despite knowing exactly what would happen I found myself turning the pages hoping that it would turn out better for Spartacus and his band of slaves/warriors. Mr. Kane's writing had me so involved in their tale I had completely forgotten the history I knew - or perhaps having Spartacus brought to such vivid life made me want to stay alive.

This is, be warned, a book of war and war is never easy to wage or read. The Romans were not known for their erm, kindness to those they vanquished and Spartacus gave as good as the Romans that enslaved him. So be forewarned - there is a bit of blood, guts, gore and downright ick in this book but it is never exploitative or misplaced. War IS hell.

Mr. Kane uses what little history left to us about Spartacus and he leaves his reader with a fleshed out story of very real possibilities - he posits that Caesar might have been a mitigating factor in Spartacus's loss. After all Caesar was one of the greatest generals and tacticians to come out of that era. He provides educated suggestions as to the unanswered questions to some of Spartacus's more unexplained moves. All very plausible given the times and the actions of others. All making for a book that was very, very hard to put down.

I LOVE Roman history. It's second for me after the Tudor period and I've read any number of books taking place in this time period. Mr. Kane re-creates that world - violent as it may be - as well as any other author I have read. He is one of those authors who leave me having a hard time coming back into reality after having been living in the world he creates with his words. I thank him for that because I love nothing more than getting lost in a book. ( )
  BrokenTeepee | May 23, 2013 |

Spartacus has already done the impossible{8212}not only has he escaped from slavery, he and his seconds have created a mighty slave army that has challenged Rome and defeated the armies of three praetors, two consuls, and one proconsul. On the plain of the River Po, in modern Northern Italy, Spartacus has defeated Gaius Cassius Longinus, proconsul and general of an army of two legions. Now the road home lies before them{8212}to Thrace for Spartacus, and to Gaul for his seconds-in-command, Castus and Gannicus. But storm clouds are gathering on the horizon. One of Spartacus's most powerful generals has defected, taking his men with him. Back in Rome, the immensely rich Marcus Licinius Crassus is gathering an unheard-of Army. The Senate has given Crassus an army made up of ten legions and the authority to do whatever it takes to end the slave rebellion once and for all. Meanwhile, Spartacus wants to lead his men over the Alps and home, but his two seconds have a different plan. They want to march on Rome itself and bring the Republic to its knees. Rebellion has become war. War to the death.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,495,588 books! | Top bar: Always visible