Illusion by Frank Peretti

Illusion (2012)

by Frank Peretti

English (24)  Dutch (1)  All languages (25)
I have to admit that this didn't even come close to living up to my expectations. I've been hearing about Christian Horror as a sub-genre of Horror for years, and had heard Peretti was the name to try. But, in all honesty, I wouldn't label this book as horror. It's more along the lines of science fiction, and although I enjoy science fiction also... I honestly wouldn't have read this book if the blurb had done a better job of telling me what it was about. So, that said...

Illusion revolves around a much-used science fiction trope that, generally, I avoid. It's hard to do well, frustrating when it goes wrong, and generally gets lost in some element of confusion if an author isn't really careful. Have I seen it done well and loved the books related to it? Absolutely. Here, it devolved into confusion and a lack of clarity. If I'd cared more about the characters or the story, or believed it would be worth my time to slow down, re-read passages as needed, and puzzle it out, maybe it would have been possible, but I have a feeling that the author was purposefully bringing in ambiguity, jargon, and confusion as a cover for a trope/phenomenon that needed to be treated more carefully than he was willing to go to the lengths of doing. Does that sound harsh? Maybe, but if you can't tell already, I was really frustrated when I realized the trope this book revolved around and discovered that I wasn't reading a horror novel at all.

Of course, the central trope isn't the only problem. The plot itself, once the trope became clear, was frustratingly predictable, from how it played out on through the final outcome. The characters were also somewhat flat. I wanted to like the male protagonist, but he just wasn't strong or developed enough for me to truly get engaged with him. And the woman wavered between being boring and overly simple, right up until the very end (at which point she got more interesting, but in a way that didn't necessarily match what had already been written of her character). All told, the book was well-written enough and there were moments when I wanted to keep turning pages... but there were many, many, many more moments when I simply kept reading because I was traveling, and it was the only book I had at my disposal. I also have a hard time abandoning books, admittedly, and was hoping this one would get better. It did, barely, but not enough to make up for my trudging through 500 pages.

So, no, I wouldn't recommend this book.

I'm willing to give Christian Horror another shot, of course, but it won't be through this author unless someone I trust can recommend an exact book of his that they'd vouch for being worthwhile. ( )
  whitewavedarling | Jan 2, 2019 |
Finished Frank Peretti's "Illusion" last night. Fascinating novel. Very complex (and I think that is an understatement). This is his best work, I believe. Definitely unlike anything that he has ever written before. ( )
  impactwriter | Sep 5, 2018 |
A very interesting and creative plot. ( )
  GWriter40 | Aug 3, 2018 |
Embark on this page-turning story of love and loss! Full of twists and mystery, Illusionists Dane and Mary have a great life, until the fateful car wreck that changes everything. Thrilling story!
  mcmlsbookbutler | Apr 6, 2018 |
Quite a suspenseful read: The wife of a magician dies in a car accident and reappears as her 1970s self in 2010. She's drawn to the same area where her former husband has purchased a farm. When their paths cross again, their love has transcended time. The husband then unravels the mystery to find out why she seems so much like the girl he met in the 70s (who eventually became his wife.) ( )
  JenniferRobb | Jan 17, 2016 |
To Barbara Jean, my beloved for forty years.
Only the Lord God could have brought me such a woman.
Mandy was gone.

A grieving husband encounters a teen identical to his dead wife-- in face, name, and magical skills.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,903,249 books! | Top bar: Always visible