Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of…

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Americas Award… (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Benjamin Alire Saenz

Member:gingerlibrarian
Title:Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Americas Award for Children's and Young Adult Literature. Commended)
Authors:Benjamin Alire Saenz
Info:Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 368 pages

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz (2012)

English (212)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (214)
I started listening to this book on audio and fell in love with it - then life happened, the audio book was due back in the library, so I put my name on the list for it in any form that came available first .....and finally it did!

I devoured it - such a lovely, tender and charming book yet so very real at the same moment - I loved those two quirky, kind boys, so similar in many ways yet so different in the way they express themselves - I loved their parents and their humanity and the ways they too were so different yet loved their boys so deeply. Gentle, beautiful, worth a second read in the future. ( )
  njinthesun | Dec 10, 2018 |
Powerful in its beautiful simplicity ( )
  KaylaTheGinger | Nov 29, 2018 |
I’m removing my 5 star rating after seeing emails the author sent to people who didn’t like his book. I think this is worth a read but I find that whole situation to be gross. ( )
  rabidgummibear | Nov 28, 2018 |
Ari(stotle) and Dante, two Mexican American teen boys living in 1980's El Paso, both feel like outsiders until they find each other and quickly become best friends. Ari has trouble relating to his father, is angry at his parents for not talking about the older brother in prison, and is struggling with self-hatred and finding his place in the world. Dante knows who he is and what he wants to be, but that comes with its own set of issues. Over the course of a couple of summers, the two save each other in all sorts of ways and begin to find themselves in relation to each other and the world.
Beautiful, this is. Ari and Dante are wonderfully drawn, and the issues they face are so important and relevant and so realistically handled. Highly recommended. And Lin Manuel-Miranda's fabulous job as narrator is pure icing. ( )
  electrascaife | Oct 25, 2018 |
This book was sweet and endearing and just such a lovely story to read.

It deals with love, race, sexuality and processes them over the course of a year through the mind of Aristotle (Ari) who is a young Mexican teenage boy.

I loved the way in which sexuality was treated, especially Ari, and how it's not black and white, but varying shades of grey. I love his acceptance of people as who they are and how he himself works through his life.

I found this to be a wonderfully insightful and positive journey through a teenagers mind and a beautiful piece of queer literature. I feel so happy and peaceful after having read this and I can one day imagine handing this to my children to read! ( )
  LiteraryDream | Sep 30, 2018 |
added by gsc55 | editBoys in our Books, Susan (Nov 12, 2014)

added by gsc55 | editMM Good Book Reviews, Tams (Oct 2, 2014)

Benjamin Alire Sáenzprimary authorall editionscalculated
Miranda, Lin-ManuelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all the boys who've had to learn to play by different rules
One summer night I fell asleep, hoping the world would be different when I woke. In the morning, when I opened my eyes, the world was the same.

Aristotle is an angry teen with a brother in prison. Dante is a know-it-all who has an unusual way of looking at the world. When the two meet at the swimming pool, they seem to have nothing in common. But as the loners start spending time together, they discover that they share a special friendship—the kind that changes lives and lasts a lifetime. And it is through this friendship that Ari and Dante will learn the most important truths about themselves and the kind of people they want to be.

Fifteen-year-old Ari Mendoza is an angry loner with a brother in prison, but when he meets Dante and they become friends, Ari starts to ask questions about himself, his parents, and his family that he has never asked before.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,766,611 books! | Top bar: Always visible