Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of…

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Benjamin Alire Saenz

Title:Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe
Authors:Benjamin Alire Saenz
Info:Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (2012), Hardcover, 368 pages
Tags:YA, LGBTQ, self-discovery, romance, chican@, southwest, bildungsroman

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz (2012)

English (145)  German (1)  All languages (146)
I'm so glad I listened to this book on audio, narrated by Lin-Manuel Miranda. Lin does a great job playing a teenager and portraying some of the other characters. This might be one of my favorite YA Lit books. It's subtle, but it does a good job dealing with issues surrounding friends, family, and society. It was refreshing to see a YA book with involved parents and realistic relationships, instead of making parents the "enemy" or cutting them out of the story completely. This book is a worthwhile read. ( )
1 vote EllsbethB | Oct 7, 2016 |
Whelp I read that book in one day. One ugly fucking day where I cried tons of ugly fucking tears. Like fuck this beautiful world, I'm not ready for it. I carry a lot of internalized homophobic bullshit about myself and this is a book of healing. Because there are some major horrible moments it opened some wounds for me but I feel like I was taken care of. Serious trigger warnings for violence. Fuck this book in the best way possible. ( )
  AlmostPerfectZen | Sep 16, 2016 |
I love this book! I listened to the audio version read by Lin-Manuel Miranda and it was amazing! ( )
  mleivers | Aug 29, 2016 |
A wonderful story of two teenage boy finding life, both good and bad, as they pass through their high school years.

The audiobook reading by Lin-Manuel Miranda is great. ( )
  dougcornelius | Jul 31, 2016 |
Story of teen boys Dante and Ari (Aristotle) who when they meet seem like they have nothing in common. However, a friendship develops. Told from Ari's perspective. The story shows Ari's complex family life, older brother never discussed, two older sisters treat Ari like a son. Dante's more accepting and comfortable with his awakening sexuality. Depicts teens struggling with who they are and how to be their authentic self. Brings up questions of identity, particularly in terms of sexuality and sexual orientation

Grades: 7-12

Classroom use: Coming of Age, acceptance, friendship, tolerance, LGBTQ experiences, Mexican and Mexican American
  GEMaguire | Jul 26, 2016 |
added by gsc55 | editBoys in our Books, Susan (Nov 12, 2014)
added by gsc55 | editMM Good Book Reviews, Tams (Oct 2, 2014)
To all the boys who've had to learn to play by different rules
One summer night I fell asleep, hoping the world would be different when I woke. In the morning, when I opened my eyes, the world was the same.

Aristotle is an angry teen with a brother in prison. Dante is a know-it-all who has an unusual way of looking at the world. When the two meet at the swimming pool, they seem to have nothing in common. But as the loners start spending time together, they discover that they share a special friendship—the kind that changes lives and lasts a lifetime. And it is through this friendship that Ari and Dante will learn the most important truths about themselves and the kind of people they want to be.

Fifteen-year-old Ari Mendoza is an angry loner with a brother in prison, but when he meets Dante and they become friends, Ari starts to ask questions about himself, his parents, and his family that he has never asked before.

224 wanted6 pay2 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,789,088 books! | Top bar: Always visible