Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of…

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Benjamin Alire Saenz

Member:stephiewonder
Title:Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe
Authors:Benjamin Alire Saenz
Info:Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (2012), Hardcover, 368 pages
Collections:Wishlist
Rating:*****
Tags:YA, LGBTQ, self-discovery, romance, chican@, southwest, bildungsroman

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz (2012)

English (156)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All (158)
Aristotle and Dante meet one summer at a Phoenix swimming pool. It is a coming of age story of being true to oneself and discovering who you are. The families in this book are honest and believable. The parents are flawed yet perfect. Love is what this story all about.
  edwardcandler | Feb 27, 2017 |
This book was absolutely amazing, and words cannot describe how much I absolutely fell in love with it.
My friend lent me her copy of it, only telling me "You've got to read this it's so good", and boy am I glad I listened to her. The characters absolutely melted my heart and I still can't decide if I like Ari or Dante more.
This was one of those books where I was reading it late at night, and I told myself "Okay this is the last chapter for tonight, then I'm going to bed." But then something really unexpected happened right at the end of the chapter and it left it on such a huge cliffhanger that I ended up reading like 3 more chapters.
I just love this book so much. If you want a coming of age story where 2 young boys discover themselves as well as the universe in each other, then look no further because this is it.
It's also beautifully written and I love this author's style a lot ( )
1 vote QuazzyDucks | Feb 12, 2017 |
Guess it may just be my unpopular opinion, but I didn't like the book that much. It was a pretty fast read, if I had just put my mind to it. But I didn't because I didn't really like the plot. Is it just me? I'm not sure. All in all, I just didn't enjoy it as much as I wanted to. It takes a lot to make me enjoy a book.

-Lena ( )
  Lena_L | Feb 11, 2017 |
My first book for this year's Book Riot challenge, and it reminded me why I love this challenge so much. This is a book I never would have read if BR had not directed me to read a YA book from an LGBTQ+ author. I generally avoid YA books. This book though made me happy to check into YA land. There is so much to like here. I was intrigued by the candid exploration of what it means to be Mexican in America when your life and interests do not comport with those of most of the people around you. I loved that sexuality was represented accurately, as a spectrum. That love is love is love, that bisexuality is real and not (as Carrie Bradshaw once said) a stop on the bus to Gaytown. I liked that the parents were not out of touch or ridiculous, but rather smart, complicated, sometimes wrong, but good parents and people. Also, Lin Manuel Miranda was a fantastic reader! The book isn't perfect, it oversimplifies many things, and allows people to live their truth without substantial repercussions which would almost certainly flow from their actions. It really is good, though. I have recommended it to my own teen who has friends who are Gay, Bi and Trans, but who could still stand to learn about some of the small, nonpolitical, struggles his friends might experience and not share with their straight cisgender peers. ( )
1 vote Narshkite | Jan 8, 2017 |
Stonewall book award 2013
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
added by gsc55 | editBoys in our Books, Susan (Nov 12, 2014)

added by gsc55 | editMM Good Book Reviews, Tams (Oct 2, 2014)

To all the boys who've had to learn to play by different rules
One summer night I fell asleep, hoping the world would be different when I woke. In the morning, when I opened my eyes, the world was the same.

Aristotle is an angry teen with a brother in prison. Dante is a know-it-all who has an unusual way of looking at the world. When the two meet at the swimming pool, they seem to have nothing in common. But as the loners start spending time together, they discover that they share a special friendship—the kind that changes lives and lasts a lifetime. And it is through this friendship that Ari and Dante will learn the most important truths about themselves and the kind of people they want to be.

Fifteen-year-old Ari Mendoza is an angry loner with a brother in prison, but when he meets Dante and they become friends, Ari starts to ask questions about himself, his parents, and his family that he has never asked before.

224 wanted6 pay2 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,213,772 books! | Top bar: Always visible