Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of…

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Benjamin Alire Saenz

Member:stephiewonder
Title:Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe
Authors:Benjamin Alire Saenz
Info:Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (2012), Hardcover, 368 pages
Collections:Wishlist
Rating:*****
Tags:YA, LGBTQ, self-discovery, romance, chican@, southwest, bildungsroman

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz (2012)

English (142)  German (1)  All languages (143)
A wonderful story of two teenage boy finding life, both good and bad, as they pass through their high school years.

The audiobook reading by Lin-Manuel Miranda is great. ( )
  dougcornelius | Jul 31, 2016 |
Story of teen boys Dante and Ari (Aristotle) who when they meet seem like they have nothing in common. However, a friendship develops. Told from Ari's perspective. The story shows Ari's complex family life, older brother never discussed, two older sisters treat Ari like a son. Dante's more accepting and comfortable with his awakening sexuality. Depicts teens struggling with who they are and how to be their authentic self. Brings up questions of identity, particularly in terms of sexuality and sexual orientation

Grades: 7-12

Classroom use: Coming of Age, acceptance, friendship, tolerance, LGBTQ experiences, Mexican and Mexican American
  GEMaguire | Jul 26, 2016 |
"Remember the rain"
This book made me cry so much, and yet it made me feel so happy! It is a coming-of-age story, but also a story about the power of loving parents. As a mom who loves ya, I must say my heart melted. ( )
  Ambar_Oliveras | Jul 25, 2016 |
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe is the kind of book that made me wish I could be all the characters. The writing is very easy to read by it contains so many gems that hit when you least expect it. It's amazing how such simple words were written in such a way to carry so much meaning. ( )
  Marisst | Jul 22, 2016 |
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe

The Characters:

Aristotle “Ari”
Dante

The Story:

I’m not going to lie, I chose this audio book because Lin-Manuel Miranda narrated it. Best decision I’ve made this month! Ari and Dante’s story was addictive. The growth of their relationship, the way they interact, the way their families come together, I loved it all. This is the first book I’ve read in awhile that I can truly say I wouldn’t mind listening to again.

Lin-Manuel did a beautiful job of bringing Benjamin’s words and the world he created to life.

The Random Thoughts:

5 Stars ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Jul 22, 2016 |
added by gsc55 | editBoys in our Books, Susan (Nov 12, 2014)

added by gsc55 | editMM Good Book Reviews, Tams (Oct 2, 2014)

To all the boys who've had to learn to play by different rules
One summer night I fell asleep, hoping the world would be different when I woke. In the morning, when I opened my eyes, the world was the same.

Aristotle is an angry teen with a brother in prison. Dante is a know-it-all who has an unusual way of looking at the world. When the two meet at the swimming pool, they seem to have nothing in common. But as the loners start spending time together, they discover that they share a special friendship—the kind that changes lives and lasts a lifetime. And it is through this friendship that Ari and Dante will learn the most important truths about themselves and the kind of people they want to be.

Fifteen-year-old Ari Mendoza is an angry loner with a brother in prison, but when he meets Dante and they become friends, Ari starts to ask questions about himself, his parents, and his family that he has never asked before.

224 wanted6 pay2 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,334,937 books! | Top bar: Always visible