Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of…

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Benjamin Alire Saenz

Member:stephiewonder
Title:Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe
Authors:Benjamin Alire Saenz
Info:Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (2012), Hardcover, 368 pages
Collections:Wishlist
Rating:*****
Tags:YA, LGBTQ, self-discovery, romance, chican@, southwest, bildungsroman

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz (2012)

English (159)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All (161)
Best book in the history of books. ( )
  vilmao | Apr 27, 2017 |
Oh, my heart. This book is such beauty and loveliness. ( )
  brideofsevenless | Apr 18, 2017 |
The second book I started and finished today. It was an accident, really. The title of this book intrigued me back when it was first released. I wondered how anyone could get away with those names. I had little idea of what it was about, only that I liked the sound of it. It appeared on my radar again so I added it to the end of my 'To Read' list with no immediate plans of tracking it down and reading it. And then the library didn't have some of the other books I wanted and I felt impatient and could get this one. And after finishing [b:The Daylight Gate|13136119|The Daylight Gate|Jeanette Winterson|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1340833183s/13136119.jpg|18312872] earlier I thought I could do with a few chapters of something new to carry me through tomorrow, since I can't pick up a new book from the library till Monday.

Unfortunately as soon as I started reading the emotionally repressed 15-year-old in me reared in a spectacular fashion and I could not stop. Even though I'd already lived this whole novel before, I could not stop. It's touching, it's well-paced, and it perfectly captured the ways we don't talk to each other. It captured something of what being a teenager felt like for me, particularly in those private moments where Ari comes closest to knowing himself--with the open car window and the smell of rain. Shit. There I was, in the novel. I felt like I was all through it.

I wouldn't have been able to sleep if I hadn't finished reading this book. ( )
1 vote likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
Aristotle and Dante meet one summer at a Phoenix swimming pool. It is a coming of age story of being true to oneself and discovering who you are. The families in this book are honest and believable. The parents are flawed yet perfect. Love is what this story all about.
  edwardcandler | Feb 27, 2017 |
This book was absolutely amazing, and words cannot describe how much I absolutely fell in love with it.
My friend lent me her copy of it, only telling me "You've got to read this it's so good", and boy am I glad I listened to her. The characters absolutely melted my heart and I still can't decide if I like Ari or Dante more.
This was one of those books where I was reading it late at night, and I told myself "Okay this is the last chapter for tonight, then I'm going to bed." But then something really unexpected happened right at the end of the chapter and it left it on such a huge cliffhanger that I ended up reading like 3 more chapters.
I just love this book so much. If you want a coming of age story where 2 young boys discover themselves as well as the universe in each other, then look no further because this is it.
It's also beautifully written and I love this author's style a lot ( )
1 vote QuazzyDucks | Feb 12, 2017 |
added by gsc55 | editBoys in our Books, Susan (Nov 12, 2014)

added by gsc55 | editMM Good Book Reviews, Tams (Oct 2, 2014)

To all the boys who've had to learn to play by different rules
One summer night I fell asleep, hoping the world would be different when I woke. In the morning, when I opened my eyes, the world was the same.

Aristotle is an angry teen with a brother in prison. Dante is a know-it-all who has an unusual way of looking at the world. When the two meet at the swimming pool, they seem to have nothing in common. But as the loners start spending time together, they discover that they share a special friendship—the kind that changes lives and lasts a lifetime. And it is through this friendship that Ari and Dante will learn the most important truths about themselves and the kind of people they want to be.

Fifteen-year-old Ari Mendoza is an angry loner with a brother in prison, but when he meets Dante and they become friends, Ari starts to ask questions about himself, his parents, and his family that he has never asked before.

224 wanted6 pay2 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,838,403 books! | Top bar: Always visible