Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of…

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Benjamin Alire Saenz

Member:stephiewonder
Title:Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe
Authors:Benjamin Alire Saenz
Info:Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (2012), Hardcover, 368 pages
Collections:Wishlist
Rating:*****
Tags:YA, LGBTQ, self-discovery, romance, chican@, southwest, bildungsroman

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz (2012)

Recently added bykyndyleizabella, amloeb, cwhisenant11, private library, AmelLou, byshieldmaiden, tstan, lj57, ablachly

English (152)  German (1)  All (153)
My first book for this year's Book Riot challenge, and it reminded me why I love this challenge so much. This is a book I never would have read if BR had not directed me to read a YA book from an LGBTQ+ author. I generally avoid YA books. This book though made me happy to check into YA land. There is so much to like here. I was intrigued by the candid exploration of what it means to be Mexican in America when your life and interests do not comport with those of most of the people around you. I loved that sexuality was represented accurately, as a spectrum. That love is love is love, that bisexuality is real and not (as Carrie Bradshaw once said) a stop on the bus to Gaytown. I liked that the parents were not out of touch or ridiculous, but rather smart, complicated, sometimes wrong, but good parents and people. Also, Lin Manuel Miranda was a fantastic reader! The book isn't perfect, it oversimplifies many things, and allows people to live their truth without substantial repercussions which would almost certainly flow from their actions. It really is good, though. I have recommended it to my own teen who has friends who are Gay, Bi and Trans, but who could still stand to learn about some of the small, nonpolitical, struggles his friends might experience and not share with their straight cisgender peers. ( )
1 vote Narshkite | Jan 8, 2017 |
Stonewall book award 2013
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
This was an wonderful read. Several things about this book - point of view, writing style, flow - were things that typically I would not enjoy in a book. However, the author wove a beautiful tale together that made me want to keep reading and feeling. This book was one of those that I felt in my rib cage. It left me melancholy for the summers of my youth but excited to discover the secrets of my own universe. I will read this book again and again. ( )
  cbrwn92 | Nov 7, 2016 |
This was so, so lovely. I don't know what else to say. ( )
  s.pando | Nov 4, 2016 |
This was so, so lovely. I don't know what else to say. ( )
  s.pando | Nov 4, 2016 |
added by gsc55 | editBoys in our Books, Susan (Nov 12, 2014)

added by gsc55 | editMM Good Book Reviews, Tams (Oct 2, 2014)

To all the boys who've had to learn to play by different rules
One summer night I fell asleep, hoping the world would be different when I woke. In the morning, when I opened my eyes, the world was the same.

Aristotle is an angry teen with a brother in prison. Dante is a know-it-all who has an unusual way of looking at the world. When the two meet at the swimming pool, they seem to have nothing in common. But as the loners start spending time together, they discover that they share a special friendship—the kind that changes lives and lasts a lifetime. And it is through this friendship that Ari and Dante will learn the most important truths about themselves and the kind of people they want to be.

Fifteen-year-old Ari Mendoza is an angry loner with a brother in prison, but when he meets Dante and they become friends, Ari starts to ask questions about himself, his parents, and his family that he has never asked before.

224 wanted6 pay2 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,827,657 books! | Top bar: Always visible