Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of…

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (edition 2012)

by Benjamin Alire Saenz

Member:stephiewonder
Title:Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe
Authors:Benjamin Alire Saenz
Info:Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (2012), Hardcover, 368 pages
Collections:Wishlist
Rating:*****
Tags:YA, LGBTQ, self-discovery, romance, chican@, southwest, bildungsroman

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

English (77)  German (1)  All languages (78)
I actually cried at the end of this book because I didn't want it to be over. Such a powerful book. I will be reading this again and again ( )
  beearedee | Feb 14, 2015 |
A coming of age story where Dante has always known who he is whilst Aristotle trembles on the edge, unable to see for himself what others clearly see. I particularly liked the interplay between Ari's parents and himself. Ari was the last born child in his family with his sister's grown, married and with families of their own as we come to know Ari. We're introduced to an absentee brother whose life in prison is never acknowledged by the family which wears on Ari and gives him reason to wonder about who he himself is and will he be like his brother, whose shadow he feels he has been trying to not live in for everyone's sake but his own. A definite read for young men and women who feel like they are changing but no one is noticing. ( )
  slsmitty25 | Feb 11, 2015 |
This book made me smile. That's the description that comes to mind when I'm asked what I thought about this book. Simply, "It made me smile." I feel that Sáenz created here a beautiful friendship and relationship between two loner boys who luckily find each other. It's the kind of relationship that everyone hopes they have with someone one day. Romantic or not. Nothing could tear these two apart, and Sáenz makes that very clear.

Most of this book is written in dialogue, which would normally bother me since it is in the first-person, but I thought that this choice was key to the success of this book. One of the charming aspects of these two boys' relationship was how they conversed with each other. There wasn't one thing they couldn't say. Even the often silent and closed-offed Aristotle couldn't, in the end, keep secret his most personal thoughts and feelings from Dante. Not only does this allow Aristotle a way to get the things that have been weighing so much on his mind off of his chest, this also gives him the confidence to come forward and talk to his parents about these same issues. Aristotle's confessions to Dante both relieves him, strengthens his relationship with his family, and teaches Aristotle that issues should me talked about, not lock away.

Throughout the book, we get to watch both of these boys grow, no just physically, but emotionally. It is a brilliant coming-of-age tale of two boys trying to find themselves through each other. In the end, they both learn a very important lesson that I believe we could all learn from. We can't help who we love, and in the end, we need to be honest with ourselves. It was truly refreshing to read this story and watch it become so popular. It's a story not often told. The story of two boys who fall in the kind of love that we all want to fall into. The kind filled with support, patience, and honesty. It's a story that many people today sadly reject and sometimes find appalling, but those are the people who don't actually know how love works. It's mysterious, it wonderful, it's hard, and it's uncontrollable. Thank you, Sáenz, for writing the story that is often ignored in our society and bringing it into the dazzling light. ( )
  kell1732 | Jan 25, 2015 |
Beautiful. ( )
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
Sweet, sad, and nostalgic, _Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe_ follows the lives of the title characters through two summers and the year in between. While I did not hear what I think of as "genuine voices" of adolescents, the story and the message of tolerance and love more than make up for it.
I would recommend this novel for students grades 8 and up, as well as to their parents. ( )
  Debra_Armbruster | Dec 29, 2014 |
added by gsc55 | editBoys in our Books, Susan (Nov 12, 2014)

added by gsc55 | editMM Good Book Reviews, Tams (Oct 2, 2014)

One summer night I fell asleep, hoping the world would be different when I woke. In the morning, when I opened my eyes, the world was the same.

A lyrical novel about family and friendship from critically acclaimed author Benjamin Alire Sáenz.

Aristotle is an angry teen with a brother in prison. Dante is a know-it-all who has an unusual way of looking at the world. When the two meet at the swimming pool, they seem to have nothing in common. But as the loners start spending time together, they discover that they share a special friendship—the kind that changes lives and lasts a lifetime. And it is through this friendship that Ari and Dante will learn the most important truths about themselves and the kind of people they want to be. [Simon&Schuster]

Fifteen-year-old Ari Mendoza is an angry loner with a brother in prison, but when he meets Dante and they become friends, Ari starts to ask questions about himself, his parents, and his family that he has never asked before.

4 wanted4 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,768,376 books! | Top bar: Always visible